elxaime
General

Thirty Years War Incoming!

Wed May 13, 2015 11:24 pm

News so new it hadn't yet appeared on the AGEOD forums!

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/575/details/Thirty.Years'.War

The developer is listed as "HQ" which is apparently the super-secret team that has been assembling this - maybe from a vault deep under the White Mountain in Bohemia?

vonBredow
Sergeant

Thu May 14, 2015 1:16 am

I believe one of the team members is a psychic, who conducted a séance and communicated with the spirit of Gustavus Adolphus; apparently Gustav will be credited in the game as a "historical consultant" :bonk:

rhondabrwn
Conscript

Thu May 14, 2015 2:28 am

I've been reading Eric Flint's alternative history of the period:

The "Ring of Fire" series, you can google it (I'm not yet allowed to post url's it seems)

Having this game announced at this time is cosmic... I never would have considered a game on the 30 Year's War before, but I'm hooked on the period now and this game will definitely be a "must have" for me!

Swagteamfivethousand
Conscript

Thu May 14, 2015 2:49 am

That's tough, I don't know whether I am going to get this or Napoleon, I guess I will read up more on the 30 Years War and wait till they both come out before i decide.

Duke76
Corporal

Thu May 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Fine... but where's the box of NCG which was announced before that? :D

Anyway XVII° century lovers now will have a very good tactical game (Pike and Shot) and a more operational one coming from Ageod, glad for them!

marek1978
Colonel

Thu May 14, 2015 10:15 pm

I am wondering about the scale of the map. How dense it is going to be? Rise of Prussia? New Napolen Game , EAW or AJE?

Swagteamfivethousand
Conscript

Thu May 14, 2015 11:02 pm

marek1978 wrote:I am wondering about the scale of the map. How dense it is going to be? Rise of Prussia? New Napolen Game , EAW or AJE?

According to the product page on matrix, the map is divided into more than 4,600 regions in and around central Europe.

marek1978
Colonel

Thu May 14, 2015 11:20 pm

Swagteamfivethousand wrote:According to the product page on matrix, the map is divided into more than 4,600 regions in and around central Europe.

If there is 4600 regions for central Europe – than that’s great but if the whole Europe is divided in 4600 regions and part of it is going to be used for some scenarios….

Swagteamfivethousand
Conscript

Thu May 14, 2015 11:37 pm

If you want to read about it check it out on the matrix website http://www.matrixgames.com/products/575/details/Thirty.Years'.War

marek1978
Colonel

Fri May 15, 2015 9:17 am

well we discussed size of the Napoleon Great Campaign map size over here

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?39467-Size-of-the-map

from devaloper messege it seems that size of europe map is almost 5000 regions - which fits to the 4600 anonced for the 30 years war game
that makes the new game grand strategy one
but if 4600 regions goes for germany bohemia austria low countries and soutonding that we have a map for operational game

but then, montly turns wont fit it?
so i guess it will be new napoleon map used as a basis for set of grand strategy campigns from the mid XVII century?

any way you got my money anyway...

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 15, 2015 9:56 am

marek1978 wrote:If there is 4600 regions for central Europe – than that’s great but if the whole Europe is divided in 4600 regions and part of it is going to be used for some scenarios….

I hope it is an "extended and modernised" ROP style map, and then the operational game will be great... if it's the whole of europe, than it's grand strategic. Could be great but it is a different thing.

marek1978
Colonel

Fri May 15, 2015 11:21 am

i would love "extended ROP" size gamr
but montly turns? seems to me it will be rather grand strategy one....

bob.
General

Fri May 15, 2015 4:58 pm

I would be very surprised if Napoleon and Thirty Years War don't share the same map.. would seem like a lot of unnecessary additional work for the Thirty Years War team.
It's not like the same map means the strategic situation will be the same, with different town and fort locations, supply levels etc.

marek1978
Colonel

Fri May 15, 2015 6:05 pm

bob. wrote:I would be very surprised if Napoleon and Thirty Years War don't share the same map.. would seem like a lot of unnecessary additional work for the Thirty Years War team.
It's not like the same map means the strategic situation will be the same, with different town and fort locations, supply levels etc.

Yep
It seems to be rational and natural way.
Moreover new map seems to be promising so far as a basic map to create endles line of new DLC and stand alone games covering different european conflicts in XVI, XVII and XVIII century europe - as long as it can be easily modifed to represent changing size of cities depotts and roeads throughout history....

Mickey3D

Sat May 16, 2015 12:40 am

Thanks, very interesting news. It went unnoticed by me.

aspqrz02
Conscript

Sat May 16, 2015 12:59 am

rhondabrwn wrote:I've been reading Eric Flint's alternative history of the period:

The "Ring of Fire" series, you can google it (I'm not yet allowed to post url's it seems)

So, will there be a Grantville/1632(ish) Scenario? :)

Possibly with a Pride of Nations(ish) campaign add on to build up the 1632verse :)

<sigh> I guess not, copyright and all that for a start :(

Still, I must say it will give me more impetus to read CV Wedgewood's book on the 30YW ... which I tracked down as a result of reading 1632 etc.

Phil

SAS
Corporal

Sat May 16, 2015 2:21 am

As long as they both come out on Steam i'm getting both. I own to many games to keep them all updated manually.
I'm "SAS" from the Paradox Interactive Forum. :)

elxaime
General

Sat May 16, 2015 7:26 pm

I would assume there will be an English Civil War scenario. The scope of the map also seems to allow Balkan, Ottoman and Polish-Lithuanian region warfare, as well as naval warfare in the Baltic and Mediterranean. Not sure if the map reaches far enough to get the Persians into the mix.

ashandresash
Captain

Sat May 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Attending the product page, it seems it'll follow the last Ageod releases, with one grand campaign (quite impressive, from 1618 to 1648), medium scenarios (Danish and Swedish interventions) and a pair of battle scenarios. So I suppose you'll have to wait for other scenarios... Maybe a DLC could handle it. Looking forward to this game ;)

Leibst

Sun May 17, 2015 9:09 am

HI all,

HQ is my new own company, born to hold España, TYW and who knows future works. The work for TYW started in January 2014.
The map covers all of Europe and North Africa, but the game is centered in Germany and its surroundings area.
5 scenarios developed, but there is room to develop more inside the TYW conflict and outside too. But as we want to release the game this year the scope was fixed to 5 scenarios.

The Great Campaign scenario covers the whole war, so it could be a loooong game of 360 turns. But fast turns i guess.

The game has been designed my me (HQ) but the support of Ageod and Slitherine has been (and still it is) present during all the project.

Hope you like the game! :thumbsup:

PS: This should be in a TYW Thread, so i hope it will be created soon and this chat moved. This is Napoleonic room!
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

bob.
General

Sun May 17, 2015 1:19 pm

Leibstandarte wrote:HI all,

HQ is my new own company, born to hold España, TYW and who knows future works. The work for TYW started in January 2014.
The map covers all of Europe and North Africa, but the game is centered in Germany and its surroundings area.
5 scenarios developed, but there is room to develop more inside the TYW conflict and outside too. But as we want to release the game this year the scope was fixed to 5 scenarios.

The Great Campaign scenario covers the whole war, so it could be a loooong game of 360 turns. But fast turns i guess.

The game has been designed my me (HQ) but the support of Ageod and Slitherine has been (and still it is) present during all the project.

PS: This should be in a TYW Thread, so i hope it will be created soon and this chat moved. This is Napoleonic room!

Are you working on the game alone? Not that I doubt your skill (Espana was a good AGEOD title) but seems like a HUGE amount of work to model a 30 year conflict with dozens of factions compared to the Spanish Civil War.

Leibst

Sun May 17, 2015 1:50 pm

that explains why i'm exhausted :mdr:

There are two playable factions. As you can find in some boardgames, Catholics and Protestants. Here is no room like in EAW to have three or more. Because usually Catholics fought together and Protestants did the same. I know that sometimes Bavarian interest was not the same of Imperial interest and the same happened between Mansfeld and the Bohemians etc... but i feel more near to reality two sides than more. Can be debate here, i'm sure.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

marek1978
Colonel

Sun May 17, 2015 2:01 pm

great to hear it and i keep mu finger crossed , you seem to be one man orchestra , i am really impressed

if i may - few questions:
- are you using old ageod engine?
-how does map size and densinity reffers to the EAW or ROP one?
- one month turns? isnt it bit to long? i know that 2 weeks ones mean 720 turns but they are mostly going to be pasive winter turns anyway....
Leibstandarte wrote:HI all,

Leibst

Sun May 17, 2015 2:08 pm

At the first spets of the work it was decided together with Ageod to use a big map, covering Europe and North Africa. But the game is centered on Germany.
I will ask you with a question. if you were to design a game will you use 15 days turns to represent a war of 30 years of duration?
Ageod engine do well as it is now believe me.
HQ website

marek1978
Colonel

Sun May 17, 2015 2:19 pm

sorry - i did not want to undermine the efort
one month turns worked great in WIA and reasonably well in AJE
my question was reffefing to the danger of situation in which a well small teathe of war - like bohemia in 1620 is covered in few moves...

about the map - is it as dense as AJE or rather NGC?
i sm courious about the warfare in low coountries and lorelaine - as there was so little space...

are you using RUS engins?

Leibstandarte wrote:At the first spets of the work it was decided together with Ageod to use a big map, covering Europe and North Africa. But the game is centered on Germany.
I will ask you with a question. if you were to design a game will you use 15 days turns to represent a war of 30 years of duration?

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 17, 2015 3:02 pm

360 turns in AGE long enough I think. Pbem and solo games doesn't go that far practically; except PON maybe. Congratulations pleasant surprise. :thumbsup:
I like España graphics, even unit cards have tile roof upon them. So native.

bob.
General

Sun May 17, 2015 4:23 pm

Leibstandarte wrote:At the first spets of the work it was decided together with Ageod to use a big map, covering Europe and North Africa. But the game is centered on Germany.

So, is this the same map that will be used for the Napoleon game?

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Yippie yeah I have been waiting for this for 30 years.

Baris wrote:360 turns in AGE long enough I think.

Long enough, definitely. Too long, possibly, in practical terms.

I personally like to take my time, 1h per turn is not unusual. That would make 45 days with 8h playing daily, or 90 days with 4h daily :)

I think Grand Campaign could be rather massive for this one, (please don't change that ;) )

The topic cries for scenario and expansion packs.

marek1978
Colonel

Sun May 17, 2015 8:31 pm

i just wanten one more time to underline i am impressed by your work and very gratefull for you taking these project

i already started informing my friends, i hope they will buy it fast :)

Leibst

Sun May 17, 2015 9:25 pm

The exe is the last version of Ageod.
The map has been draw by Gilles Pfeifer. But Gilles has not made the Napoleonic one.
HQ website

Return to “Thirty Years War”