sorta
Captain

BREXIT - The Glory Years

Sat May 07, 2016 3:26 am

Hello all,

An AAR for 7 man PBEM. Started by Sorta and Captain who have been waging war against each other for many years over most AGEOD titles plus EIA, GG WiE. I live in the land of the free and Captain lives on a island west of Middle Earth. Usual sad background: miniatures, cardboard hexes, Spectrum, then PC games. The files are names Tropical Hellscape as the majority of the players are from there.

Settings

[ATTACH]38766[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]38770[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]38768[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]38769[/ATTACH]

This is a collaborative effort and all the players will post matters of significance.

Diplomacy
January 1805 we face one major problem, France, which is also a major opportunity because we strongly believe that the monarchs of Europe will see the French for the threat they are and stand together against them. It is HM Government's view that no major nation will ally with France as that will mean their own suicide when the ogre turns on them, as he will.

Good relations with Spain is a priority for us because we believe that two great maritime empires should stand shoulder to shoulder. Currently France wants to fight the Royal Navy and is willing for as many Spanish ships to be sunk as required. Our point to our friends in Spain is that the destruction of the Spanish fleet will result in Spain becoming a second rate power. However, under the protection of the Royal navy Spain's overseas empire will blossom.

Diplomats have been sent to all the major power's capitals with messages of solidarity.
Attachments
3.PNG
2.PNG
1.PNG

sorta
Captain

Sat May 07, 2016 4:26 am

Your narrator
I, Sir Arthur Daily, will be your narrator of events. You need an honest voice guiding you through the lies and confusion created by some players and here your search has ended.
[ATTACH]38771[/ATTACH]

Military Reorganisation

Britain is a power of and for peace and as a result does not have a large army and that which we have is spread over the British isles from Plymouth to Aberdeen and Cork. Order are sent to group the army together in Plymouth for inspection and possible overseas action.

Militia and Home Guard
HM Government in discussion with the above has decided that all of the above will not leave the British Isles. The British army is a professional army and the militia units did not volunteer to serve in dangerous places, though some may have to go to Newcastle.

The Royal Navy

Close blockade of the ports has been ordered. Nelson is to be stationed at Trafalgar. Morale is high and we are looking forward to combat.

Economy

This is not something I normally bother with but I approved some tedious memo to produce more merchant ships and develop some provincial backwaters (Stoke on Trent and Liverpool I believe).
Attachments
Sir A.jpg

sorta
Captain

Sat May 07, 2016 4:33 am

Dark Clouds on the Continent
this was received from the ogre:

Be it known to all,

That France protects the weak and the downtrodden, the unprovoked Saxon attack on Berg ( a French ally) will be dealt with swiftly.
France always stands by her allies……….and delivers swift justice against her enemies.

Liberty, Equality and Fraternity!

N

sorta
Captain

Sat May 07, 2016 4:40 am

Peace Treaty

We have positive news. As a result of the intensive work done by the F.O. Spain has agreed a peace treaty with Great Britain with immediate effect. Orders are sent to the Admiralty to immediately order a reorganisation of the RN away from Iberia. Also this will provide us with sufficient transports to undertake Project Brest.

In order to celebrate the peace treaty I have decided to head up to Oxford with my PPS Rupert to do some punting.

sorta
Captain

Sat May 07, 2016 4:51 am

Victory in France and the destruction of the French Fleet
In great secrecy several British divisions including the new medical, signals, balloon and engineer units were gathered to under take 'Project Brest'. The British divisions landed unimpeded and quickly defeated the French Corps resulting in one week of siege and then an assault that captured the city. The ogre of course saw this as a major victory for France:

24000 British Dead on French Beaches!!!

Just to put things in perspective total combined losses at Waterloo for both sides were 50000.

Well the British tried their attack against my screening force, now they can face the imminent counterattack by Le Grande Armee. French bookies are taking wagers on “any” British in Moore’s force leaving the continent alive……..the odds are quite long………cash only please.

N

So if this was a loss why did the French retreat? If this was a loss why do we occupy the city?
With our occupation of the city the French fleet was forced to sea where the RN was waiting.

As the Times pointed out:

The free world celebrates the destruction of the French fleet and the end of the French overseas empire. The destruction of the French city and port continues. An despot who can not defend his own country will soon meet madame guillotine.

sorta
Captain

Sat May 07, 2016 4:59 am

Diplomacy Updates

Great Britain and Spain have put aside petty grievances and are now united in peace. We are happy to note that we have accepted the peace treaty so wisely sent by the illustrious Spanish monarch.

We look forward to inviting Spain to the Grand Coalition in due course.

HRH

Spain is a pregnant guppy worried about her babies littered around the globe.
A bloated fish does not achieve Imperial status (unless you include genocide of third world countries)
Let the Spanish drink Sangria and reminisce of glory days of yore. France lives in the present.
Only thunder can be compared to artillery!
………and the Stormbringer is coming.
N

I also note the Tsar’s craven act of bravery…………declaring war from a continent away.
March to Europe and see how many Cossacks see the Steppe again!

N

Spanish peace has led to global exploitation and Spain’s delusions of grandeur.
Meanwhile back in Madrid the barricades are built as the Spanish King says to the masses “let them eat cake”
Open rebellion in the capital whilst the Spanish monarch searches for Inca gold!

N

sorta
Captain

Sat May 07, 2016 5:01 am

The Bells of Liberation Ring

France welcomes the Rhine Confederation and Neopolitans to the brotherhood of fraternal nations, having thrown off their oppressors the Hapsburgs and Bourbons.
France is electrifying the soul of the masses to throw off the tyranny of oppression in Europe…….meanwhile the British engage is slavery in the Caribbean.

“A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for a petty distinction.
You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

sorta
Captain

Sat May 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Victory in the Caribbean

French Islands liberated with minimal loss of life. Subjects rejoice. We are waiting for the ogre to proclaim this as another victory for France as one of the marines dies falling off a pier. And their seems to be a French commander left hiding in the jungle. No surrender, good for you sir!

British army prepares to embark - but to where?

[ATTACH]38782[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-05-07 16_34_56-AGE.png

sorta
Captain

Sat May 07, 2016 9:50 pm

A Dark Day for Europe

Even the constant victories for the RN and British army can't save Europe from itself. The Coalition of the willing has become less so. Prussia and Russia have declared war on each other over the ownership of Poland. Our diplomats have tried to make them call a truce but to no avail. They are entrenched in their stubbornness and the only winner in the ogre. France is far too powerful (through no actions taken by its current leader I should point out) to face only one country at a time. With Austria, Prussia and Russia united France could be defeated and THEN by all means fight over Warsaw I say!

Warsaw is a beautiful city no doubt and who wouldn't want to fight over it but not when the ogre is marching to your door.
[ATTACH]38785[/ATTACH]

Anyway serious times so I have decided to do without the services of my PPS Rupert and send him to Prussia and Russia to give them a firm talking to.
[ATTACH]38784[/ATTACH][ATTACH]38786[/ATTACH]
Attachments
rup.PNG
str_27_small_targ_na_rynku_starego_miasta-400x284.jpg

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 08, 2016 1:40 am

To the Coalition,

Thank you for making us look like Einsteins compared to you.

Sincerely,

The Three Stooges. :)

Spanish Reign
Civilian

Mon May 09, 2016 12:28 am

No mention of other countries victories? what about the battles between Prussia and Russia, of Spain and the ottoman empire also Austria?

sorta
Captain

Mon May 09, 2016 1:27 am

I was rather hoping that they were going to post their own results, diplomacy (if any!), economy and plans. Playing GB I can only see my own battle details in my log so would have to go into their files which I'd rather not do as don't want to see past the fog of war. I'm happy to explain how to upload if required.

sorta
Captain

Mon May 09, 2016 3:36 am

The Liberation of Sicily

The King has congratulated the Generals and men for the liberation of Sicily and the complete destruction of all French forces on the island. After yet another humiliating defeat French prisoners rotting in Newcastle now total over 40,000.
[ATTACH]38805[/ATTACH]

Also congratulation to Admiral Lord Nelson for the complete destruction of the french Mediterranean fleet.
[ATTACH]38806[/ATTACH]

Lord Nelson is disconsolate to be informed that there are no more enemy fleets to sink after his decisive victories in the Atlantic and the Mediterranean.
[ATTACH]38807[/ATTACH]

What is left of the French 'navy' is hiding in port, the Spanish are our true friends. The only country left with a sizable fleet is the Ottomans and they would not dare to take on the British Empire given their long coasts and islands. The FO rules out war with the Ottomans. The Sultan may be a fop but not a fool says Lord Percival for the F.O. And Lord Percival is quiet an expert on foppery.
[ATTACH]38808[/ATTACH]
Attachments
John_Perceval,_2nd_Earl_of_Egmont_by_Thomas_Hudson.jpg
deathofnelson.jpg
2016-05-08 21_08_01-AGE.png
2016-05-08 21_08_35-AGE.png

sorta
Captain

Fri May 13, 2016 6:10 pm

The Battle for Vienna

The fate of Austria and Europe depends on the outcome. Can the hopefully heavily entrenched Austrians summon the patriotic fervour to make up for their lousy NM and probably lousy commandeers against a sleek French army slogging through the mud?
Will the Prussians and Russians suddenly realise that Poland is not worth fighting over when French hegemony is so close (nope).
Does the Sultan realise that he has committed suicide by declaring war on Britain's ally? Does he realise that without Britain's support Russia has no-one holding them back from absorbing all of Turkey's borders? Perhaps he is waiting for French fleets to come and save him. So is Nelson.

sorta
Captain

Sun May 15, 2016 12:06 am

The Abdication
Sad news that the old Emperor of Austria has abdicated. With his army surrounded in Vienna and all other cities lost, no continental allies and corps commanders who won't follow his instruction the old Emperor retired to the rose garden of the Schönbrunn Palace.

However the crown was transferred same day to a new Emperor, a German from Stuttgart which means he subjects won't be able to understand his strange accent. However we wish him well with Mission Impossible.

sorta
Captain

Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 am

The Battle for India
17 NM gained, the enemy wiped out for minimal losses and Wellington promoted to to seniority 1. Resistance is futile.[ATTACH]38912[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-05-17 21_19_21-AGE.png

PhilThib

Wed May 18, 2016 8:16 am

Looks like the poor Indians are a bit underpowered... :confused:

sorta
Captain

Thu May 19, 2016 12:59 am

Well it was the second battle but surrender terms were offered for several months but ignored. Why they did not surrender I do not know. Something about arty but too complex to fathom.

captain14
Sergeant

Sat May 21, 2016 6:05 am

With the closing of 1805 The Time has come the Walrus said to speak of many things.............well at least the French version of affairs.

I began the game with no set plan. A major mistake players make in the Napoleonic period is that it is not just a wargame. Players could do well practicing a few games of Diplomacy or Machiavelli before embarking on playing WON. There is a reason Tolstoy named his tome "War and Peace". If you don't win the peaces and utilise them effectively, then your periods of war are doomed to disaster before the first wagon wheel begins rolling.
Hence the militarily no set plan. My first main aim was diplomacy, who was who, who would be trustworthy, who was greedy, who was in need of help, who had common interests, who were opponents skilled in diplomacy and /or warfare.
GB of course would be the most persistent of foes, I had to determine whether his invention (both military and diplomatically) would be solo or in unison with an ally or allies. It would be pointless to have a military plan until that was known.
Prussia I pursued the good neighbour policy. This was at a degree of risk given that the Kaiser died (of sloth) and a new Kaiser was crowned in the first few months of the game.
Turkey I observed was consistently bullied by the Russian Bear, so I knew there would be fertile grounds for diplomacy there. The Sultan is also a new player so I knew he would move cautiously).
Russia tete te'd but then declared war over wanting compensation for not acting on a casus belli. Paying the $2 compensation seemed the most appropriate action given I had not yet ascertained everyone's true colours.
Spain Talked the talk of an ally, but self interest and a desire for colonialism was more at the King of Spain's heart than getting engaged in fighting either of the superpowers. (Spain is played by a new player and it was a rather impressive game open given his inexperience).
Now the real enemy Austria. The Emperor simply did not communicate. I cannot over emphasis what a mistake it is in diplomatic games not to communicate. Relationships constantly change and if you don't keep dialogue open (even when you at war!) you have not built any diplomatic foundations for any future change of relationships. I soon discovered from other powers that Austria hardly communicated with anyone. Net result? Austria became increasingly isolated.
With the above diplomatic setup and being winter, France decided to basically do nothing other than build up Le Grande Armee.
Watching what unfolded in Europe would soon dictate to me the military path I would follow.

captain14
Sergeant

Sat May 21, 2016 12:37 pm

The first spanner in any premeditated plan was Saxony declaring war on my ally Berg, very early in the game. This dictated my military campaign. Eliminating Saxony would remove the strongest minor in Germany. Obviously I would need Prussia's blessing (as I di not want war), but I had the moral high ground given Saxony was the offender and I was but protecting an ally.
Marching Le Grande Armee to Saxony also placed it in a central position to pivot depending from which direction the diplomatic threat would unfold.
Of course the British would threaten my blockaded fleets, nut well entrenched defenders with a significant ready reserve in France under Soult was my insurance.
The lack of any Coalition being formed saw the British act unilaterally by invading Brest. The initial invasion saw horrendous losses for the British (some 24000 dead, shame I didn't save the battle result). The defenders retreated in good order to fight another day. Meanwhile Soult was on the move to Brest hoping to catch Moore's bloodied invasion force stuck on the beaches. Alas the British got luck and got over the Brest walls first turn, a naval battle ensued and the British got their payback on the French fleet and I lost some 14000 sailors. The worst outcome however was that Moore and the BEF managed to escape just one turn before Soult's arrival.
Whilst France had lost ships, I was of the firm belief that such large losses to the British so early in the game would render the British impotent for quite a long period. However the size of the British starting forces and his replacements has made it appear that 24000 British dead has not dented the British army at all.

sorta
Captain

Sun May 22, 2016 2:11 am

Well more self serving propaganda from the former junior artillery man who's clearly been on the cognac again! Mr. 'I don't have a plan' has a clear plan of total European domination. He may be patient for events to turn in his favour before striking eg Saxony and PR-RU going to war but his plan is clear to all. So just a coincidence that the German minors were annexed and Austria attacked after? I think not?

And his retelling of the successful operation to destroy the fleet in Brest is pure fantasy. The facts were British forces landed, fought a battle and the French retreated. Then next turn we took Brest (no luck there if you plan properly) and sunk his fleet. Then we boarded in order to immediately take his island in the Caribbean and then destroy his corps in Sicily. No 'evacuation' or running away. And where was this reserve under Soult? No one has ever seen it. But it prowls the French coast like a tiger - a very slow one.

And 24,000 losses beggars belief - that would be 3 full strength divisions, basically my whole invasion force. Clearly the cognac is strong in this one.

The so called emperor is a master of propoganda but I implore the monarchs to see him for what he is - a tyrant who wants to sit on all your thrones!

captain14
Sergeant

Part 3 History 1805

Sun May 22, 2016 6:54 am

Part 3 of French 1805 History.

Due to the war score rules the war with Saxony would yield nothing to France despite victory if bordering encroachments were not made. Ulm was a necessary supply point and it was critical that the Austrian did not get this, so I decided to pre-emptively strike. Wars with Baden, Wurtemburg and HRE yielded a necessary supply conduit to Saxony. I would have preferred no war with Baden and Wurtemburg but the diplomacy/supply rules dictated I had little choice. HRE of course I was happy to occupy and crush. Of course Hanover was annexed.
Attractive offers from Russia, Spain and Turkey left me considering various option. One cannot take the first option but need weigh the counter response from others should one agree to a deal. One should never break a diplomatic deal (unless of course it is a game breaker that would bring rewards far beyond and diplomatic repair, However remember this is a long game).
Russia attacked Prussia which left open positive possibilities, however before these could be examined Austria declared war on France!
Now the military game would swing in as the Grande Armee wheeled from central Germany and headed south through Bohemia and Moravia.

In response to Sorta's comments on Brest. Yes Moore is a good general so he did have a good chance of getting over the walls at Brest. Had he got a brown envelope however the situation would have been very grim. The 24,000 included captured British prisoners which I recall was about 11500. From memory I lost some 8000. So Moore damaged and tired after an amphibious invasion against an entrenched position, still had to get over the walls at Brest AND get evacuated. It was a risk. Soult meanwhile had married up with the retreated defenders from the battle with Moore and been reinforced by a guards division plus! Unfortunately Sorta was right Soult moved slow with a series of brown envelopes, which meant he lost the opportunity to strike Moore both at his weakest and without a retreat route.
BTW hate to disappoint but the French fleet was not sunk (I would have thought your allies would have conveyed that to you ;-)
Damaging yes but not a coup de grae.
Certainly on NM Gb came out ahead on the Brittany campaign but it was a near run thing for both sides, the French fleet and the BEF under Moore. Both sides missed opportunities and both sides avoided disaster.

Moore than sailed to the Winward Islands and mopped up the Carribbean. Little France can do about this. At best one can hope the island sells themselves dearly.
Meanwhile the Armee of Italy marched south to take Naples (having seen the Austrian army withdraw from Italy presumably to link up with its main force).
Naples fell and the Kingdom of Naples created.
Spain showed cowardice in the face of the British fleet and made peace.
France invaded Sicily with an independent force. The operation was meant to be a quick in and out job and all went well, until the French fleet refuse to move for some 3-4 turns!!!! Closer examination found the French Admiral had a rating of 1-2-2!
As a result the majority of the French independent force (mostly marines) in Sicily was lost and the British won convincingly on the island (including the French Med fleet)

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:51 am

Interesting read by one playing GB in an MP game.

Have you all lost interest in continuing?

sorta
Captain

Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:51 pm

Not lost interest but have paused because of Naples bug giving 250 NM which can't be fixed and France and Russia automatically allying from no-where. Waiting for a player to return from holiday but may be a re-start

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am

Thanks for prompt reply and good luck :)

sorta
Captain

Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Brexit 1a has finished! After 1 majestic turn France's Italian vassal's decided to become independent. France decided to carry on as life is unfair but then we had some other weird error and decided to restart as it was the first turn. We hope the new patch will make more stable. new patch will make things.

Brexit II has started. New patch, same players, same countries. Same lack of understanding of how the treaties are fired.

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:03 pm

One day there will be a truly good pbem sim/game. Meanwhile enjoy :thumbsup:

Return to “WON AARs”