nevada73
Sergeant

Meeting my Waterloo: Last Flight of the Eagle AAR

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:47 am

Hello everyone. I just recently purchased WoN and wanted to show my first scenario that I am going to play as an AAR. This is my very first try at this game although I am familiar with a few games from AGEOD. I did post a few AAR's and did some multiplayer games with Wars in America and the first Civil War game a few years ago. I feel this engine is perfect for the Napoleonic era and hopefully I have cleared my real life schedule enough to enjoy this immense game. I will be playing the Waterloo campaign as, of course, the French and without much in depth scanning of the game. I have taken about 20 minutes to review my forces and look around the map and try out some of the interface buttons. Most I will leave to when I tackle the Grand Campaign at some point. I want to try to play this as a casual or novice game player and get right into the action.
First impressions of the game is that it looks very promising. Artwork, unit detail, portraits all look great and hats off to the designers and programmers. All of the buttons and ledgers and tooltips can look a bit overwhelming but I know in time it will all come around. My Grand Army looks superb and after a good review of the troops I am ready for my initial strategy and first turn orders.

Turn 1 Starting positions-

Napoleon with the Guard, Cavalry Reserve, and the 6th Corps are at San Quentin. The left wing under Marshal Ney with the 1st Corps is at Lille and the 2nd Corps not to far behind. Grouchy and 3rd and 4th Corps is at Sedan. My objectives being basically to destroy the British and Prussians which will open up the way to take the objectives.

Turn 1 Orders- My strategy is first to unite the Army and occupy a central position threatening both of the enemy armies and possibly lure them out of Brussels or Namur to do battle. Since both my left (Ney) and right (Grouchy) wings are inactive this turn I am not hoping to engage the enemy in offensive moves. The orders are to concentrate the whole army at Wavre and put myself between the two objectives and armies, if they remain static. I feel the enemy may either concentrate at Wavre, stay put in their positions but remain apart or, and I feel this most unlikely, to move on separate axis and attempt to engage my wings as they move forward.

I will play the turn out and post the results along with the next turn situation and orders in the next post.
The Emperor, the Eagle, and all of France marches to victory!!!

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:12 am

I apologize for the delay in my AAR. I had a technical issue and hopefully was able to resolve on my own as I believe it was of my own making. I ended up deleting the saved game and starting over however I kept the moves the same minus that I forgot to my move supply trains from Paris. Alas I will learn to use the ledgers more wisely so I can scan regions where I have active units. And now the Turn 1 results.

With all commands ordered to unite we began movement with Napoleon in the center. Not expecting resistance it was with surprise that we ran into a main force of the Anglo-Allied Army commanded by Prince William consisting of the I Allied Corps at Mons. With the large cavalry reserve at his disposal Napoleon opted for a flanking cavalry charge in the attack. With the arrival of II Corps under Reille during the battle our numbers swelled and we achieved a great victory in our first battle.

Grouchy moved north again not expecting resistance but his two corps ran into Blucher and the main Prussian Army marching south at Chimay. It seems the enemy wanted to keep our wings separate. Outnumbered almost 3 to 1, Grouchy concentrated a large infantry reserve and fought a defensive battle. Leading a counter attack he was separated from his horse and sustained an injury. Luckily he was moved from the battlefield and is recovering from his wound. We inflicted twice as many casualties but our two corps has begun a retreat south in the face of such large enemy forces.

My initial thoughts of the first turn is surprise at the enemy aggressiveness. Both armies moved south to engage our armies on open ground and to fight separately. Despite keeping our right wing at bay and in retreat no less, we managed to knock out one Allied Army Corps with heavy casualties. More importantly the two enemy armies are now even more separated with our main force in between them. Turn 2 situations and orders are forthcoming as I review the situation and play around with the interface some more. So far my first turn of Wars of Napoleon has not disappointed.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:30 am

The dawn of the 16 June finds our main army centered at Charleroi. I have placed the two corps of Vandamme and Gerard under Ney's North Army since Grouchy was wounded and is recovering at Reims. Napoleon has promoted General Morand of the Guard Cavalry who performed brilliantly at the Battle of Mons, leading a charge. Here is the situation with orders for the week shown.

The main force will move northeast on Wavre, dispersing any enemy forces and then turn northwest to attack the Anglo-Allied Army at Aaslt. My reasoning is two fold. For one we have severely mauled one corps of their army. Two I wish to keep my own forces on the Lille axis as it is my main supply source. Gerard and Vandamme will move to Wavre and conduct a fighting withdrawal in the face of the Prussians. With both the enemy armies separated with my own in between I hope to take care of Wellington first. I have also detached General Pajol with two cavalry divisions to go after Prince William who mysteriously managed, during his retreat, to end up behind our own lines at Mons with his heavy guns and supply wagons.

nevada73
Sergeant

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Turn 2 execution: The two corps of Vandamme and Gerard attempted to skirt the flank of the Prussian Army but were engaged. A heated battle ensued. Marshal Ney rushed with his staff from Charleroi and ordered in the attack. An all day battle that showed both sides give and take. In the end the weight of Prussian numbers was to much and our forces retired from the field. Casualties were very heavy and Gen. Vandamme lost his whole corps while Gerard suffered as well. The second battle of Chimay once again found our right wing retreating and losing heavily.

Injuries among our Generals was heavy as well.

And we mourn the loss of General Lefol who fell mortally wounded at the Second Battle of Chimay.

All was not lost however as Napoleon rallied the men and another meeting engagement took place at Wavre. This time our Emperor gave the Prussian a sound beating and claimed the battlefield. The Prussian withdrawing back to Chimay. Leaving supplies trains and gun batteries for our taking.

Day two say General Pajol engage Prince William and despite taking some casualties we secure the enemy baggage trains and heavy siege guns.

Napoloen, Ney, and the main army then moved on Aalst but the Anglo-Allied Army retreated to Brussels.

Our losses for the week were heavy but we inflicted even more on the enemy. Our main thrust however failed to fix the enemy in the open and now they are upon their defenses at Brussels. Turn 3 situation and orders forthcoming.

Return to “WON AARs”