gwgardner
Brigadier General

mini-AAR Sea Lion scenario

Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:25 am

I do not intend this as a complete AAR, just thought it might be interesting to see how the Sea Lion scenario plays out, British player vs the AI. I'll make occasional posts as major events occur.

The scenario starts after a French landing at Hastings, with close to 300,000 men. The British have local garrisons scattered throughout the land, and a mobile force of close to 100,000 troops.

I decided to avoid a major battle, if possible. Perhaps even give up London, if the French directed their attentions there. I wanted to concentrate my forces, pull back, and hope to engage in battle against contingents of the French force - wear them down.

As the screenshots show, through turns 1-3 I was indeed able to concentrate my forces to the west of London, near Swindon. The French did not move from Hastings for those three turns.

Week four, Napoleon quick marched his forces directly towards Swindon, and forced me to fight. Fortunately for me, only a third of the French forces were able to enter the battle.

Still, it was a major loss for the British army, forcing a retreat towards Oxford.

[ATTACH]36623[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]36624[/ATTACH]
Attachments
snap002.jpg
snap003.jpg

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:17 pm

gwgardner wrote:.

Week four, Napoleon quick marched his forces directly towards Swindon, and forced me to fight. Fortunately for me, only a third of the French forces were able to enter the battle.

ouch, presume you lost more on the retreat as well. Would you have not been better concentrating further north ... at least where Napoleon would have had to deal with a fortress?
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:37 pm

I never expected the French AI to pursue me like that, and was pleasantly surprised that it did so, while sending Davout to screen against anything I might send from London.

I hadn't considered entering a fortress, thinking that would obviate my ability to quickly pounce on smaller portions of the French force. (Unlike the Duke of York, I am completely incompetent!)

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:57 pm

Week 10, early Sept.

London fell to Bessiere's Corps, mid-August. Napoleon continued to pursue the Duke of York's army, forcing battles, but none of them decisive. York retreated to Birmingham, then to Cardiff.

In late August the UK sued for peace, offering a huge indemnity for two years. The French ignored the offer. Suddenly in the first week of September, Napoleon abandoned his pursuit of York's force, and returned to the London region.

I suppose at this point I have to up the ante on my offer of peace.

Here's the situation:

[ATTACH]36744[/ATTACH]
Attachments
snap004.jpg

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:37 am

Well I guess with Davout screening Nappy can go back to taking the entire South and get ready to reinstate the kingdoms of Scotland, Wales and Ireland, with England separated in the the Kingdoms of York in the North and Lancaster in the South.

Return to “WON AARs”