H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:55 am

Yeah, steelwarrior!!!
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

Sir Garnet

Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Thank you for the AAR and commentary. The Napoleonic period was my first interest in military history and I look forward to playing WON, but I promised I'd finish the war to end all wars before getting into another war.

Insight on the battle mechanics would be great.

I appreciate the addition of generals' ratings in the AAR text, as that is to me the most interesting important detail omitted from AGEOD battle report screens (except for the no commander 0-0-0). I am hoping that will be added in at some point. In my own AAR, having to take paper notes or go back into the game to extract the then-current ratings for the AAR text was a chore (particularly given game load times), though essential to put readers in the picture. Following the careers and the strategies of particular named commanders in an AAR is an important part of the fun.

Lysimaque
Corporal

Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Very nice aar, i love to see people try new strategy , particullary when you will invade Spain. I'm just affraid that the IA French was not abble to be serious opponent .

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:29 am

Pocus wrote:Try asking for an exp force from a minor ally, they should be generous!

I´ll do thanks ;-D

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:30 am

H Gilmer3 wrote:Yeah, steelwarrior!!!

Yep ;-D LOL

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:32 am

Sir Garnet wrote:Thank you for the AAR and commentary. The Napoleonic period was my first interest in military history and I look forward to playing WON, but I promised I'd finish the war to end all wars before getting into another war.

Insight on the battle mechanics would be great.

I appreciate the addition of generals' ratings in the AAR text, as that is to me the most interesting important detail omitted from AGEOD battle report screens (except for the no commander 0-0-0). I am hoping that will be added in at some point. In my own AAR, having to take paper notes or go back into the game to extract the then-current ratings for the AAR text was a chore (particularly given game load times), though essential to put readers in the picture. Following the careers and the strategies of particular named commanders in an AAR is an important part of the fun.

Thanks ;-D I´ll add rating infos whereever meaningful - for now you can also see them in the promotion window - the navy officers, who fought the battles also got the promotions ;-D The combat mechanics should be very much like CW2 - I guess...

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:33 am

Lysimaque wrote:Very nice aar, i love to see people try new strategy , particullary when you will invade Spain. I'm just affraid that the IA French was not abble to be serious opponent .

Thanks - yeah lets see at least the French AI has plenty of units for now - hopefully I will be able to organize an 8 player PBEM later ;-D Anyone interested can already PM me ;-D

Captain_Orso

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:18 pm

[table="width: 1000"]
[tr]
[td]Land der Berge, Land am Strome,[/td]
[td]Yes, we have many mountains, and the beautiful blue Danube[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Land der Äcker, Land der Dome,[/td]
[td]Fields of waving grain and cathedrals, tall and magnificent[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Land der Hämmer, zukunftsreich![/td]
[td]Iron works dot our mountain valleys, forging our future[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Heimat großer Töchter und Söhne,[/td]
[td]Our daughters are tall and beautiful (if only the French would desist in beheading them)
and our sons strong as Atlas[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Volk, begnadet für das Schöne,[/td]
[td]My people so graced with beauty[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Vielgerühmtes Österreich,[/td]
[td]Vaunted from all sides my Austria[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Vielgerühmtes Österreich![/td]
[td]If for only the French[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart[/td]
[td]Emperor Franz I von Österreich-Ungarn, in Gottes Gnade
Image[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Where is one to begin without falling into the darkness of melancholy? We found ourselves enjoying a state visit with our beloved neighbors in Bavaria, enjoying the beer--they do try their best--and the "Mädels" of formidable proportions, when the Franks became so jealous of our pleasures, they--without warning nor diplomatic procedure--advanced across the filthy Rhine to assail our party. How inglorious.

Karl Mack brilliantly destroyed the first wave of usurpers near Ulm, completely destroying Marshal Lannes' corps nearly to the man. Oh, splendorous Austria!

His glory was not to last however, for that self-crowner Bonaparte disrupted his well earned rest. With his band of heathens Napoleon nearly forced Karl Mack from his position. Were it only so.

Now with Karl Mack exhausted and unable to retreat and pressed hard by the enemy, glory threatens to give way to disaster. Oh, Karl Mack, why are you so slow?

What to do, and where to go? Kutusov insists he cannot relinquish his quarters in Olmütz in less than a fortnight; he could as well be on the moon.

George III, our dearest friend in Britain, was so gracious to gift us with a considerable sum of gold, but will we find the time to put it to good use before that Corsican brute reaches our lovely city in the Danube.

On our southern boarders the wolves have also slashed at our children. Archduke Karl brilliantly held his ground against twice his numbers when Massena lunged at him across the Brenta, for which he paid dearly.

But my dearest Karl too is overwhelmed by number, which his courage cannot resist. How many of our homes must we relinquish to these beasts to appease them long enough until we've regained our strength? I fear I shall not set eyes upon that jewel on the Adria for longer than I may endure.

We can only hope to slow the wolves, nip at their heels, disrupt their supplies, until Austria can gather her strength and welcome the help of her friends.

We must prevail, my Austria – jasomirgotthelf!

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Thanks Captain for the description of your heroic fight against evil bleu invaders - may Austria prevail - Prussia is rushing to its aid...and GB as well ;-D

Cfant
Lieutenant

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Well, that's more Austrian victories then history has seen in a hundred years! :D IF only the RL-Mack hat taken 55.000 French with him... Well played, Sir, well played!

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:25 am

Cfant wrote:Well, that's more Austrian victories then history has seen in a hundred years! :D IF only the RL-Mack hat taken 55.000 French with him... Well played, Sir, well played!

I agree ;-D

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:33 am

Turn 4 GB Battles and movements and overview :

Another succesful fleet battle with another officer gaining XP - the first star always increases the defensive skill ;-D.
Sending first reinforcments to Gibraltar and evacuated the force at Haiti - to join it with the force at Jamaica and then take Haiti back...
And our CB does not look that bad compared to the French ;-D Still waiting for Moore getting active to send the Bristish Home army againts the occupied Hannover. Due to so much bleu of the map I submit a request to colour all of the sea hexes that GB controlls red - so we counter the bleu dominance ;-D All recruits go into the replacement pool again.
Attachments
2015-12-11 01_15_54-AGE.png
2015-12-11 01_09_20-AGE.png
2015-12-11 01_06_48-AGE.png
2015-12-11 01_06_07-AGE.png

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:38 am

Prussia getting ready:
The first forces arrive at the designated points and we forge a CB against France - actually it would be cool, if we could just declare war on France due to being part of the GB coalition ;-D
Lets unite the forces of good against the evil bleu barbarian hordes - good luck to our heroic Austrian allies and waiting eagerly for the update of Captain Orso ...
All ressources go to build up a pool of replacements.
Attachments
2015-12-11 01_29_57-AGE.png
2015-12-11 01_28_52-AGE.png

Captain_Orso

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:18 pm

„Uns bleibt nichts erspart“
Emperor Franz I von Österreich-Ungarn, in Gottes Gnade

General Mack has withdrawn into the fortifications of Ulm, the only chance to rest his men for further resistance--and to buy time. But his reports are confused and he seem so indecisive, as if he has no idea of where the enemy's strength and weakness are.

His orders to von Schwarzenberg have been so contradictory, that the poor man can move neither forward not back. He's resigned to remain near Memmingen until some clarity is reached, now when time is of the utmost importance.

My dear young cousin Archduke Ferdinand had a letter smuggle through the lines to me, “The bombardment of Ulm has ceased since the wall was breached. The men have rested some, but after two horrendous battles, most are in greater spirits than strength. I've heard reports that the French are drinking cognac outside the walls, not in celebration, but in preparation. I assure you Francis, we will all do our duty when they attack.”

Archduke Johann has rushed his troops to Munich to gather their defences. Innsbruck cannot be held with the French sealing the roads south and soon north as well. He must buy us time.

The defenders of Prague were eliminated in an enormous thrust from Davout's Corps after a short battle. The defender fought a hard defense, but were suddenly overwhelmed with the greatest number of them surrendering. It's all my fault; I underestimated the enemy far too greatly.

Prague will no doubt suffer the same consequences as Ulm. My world is shrinking so quickly, like a rose wilting under the burning sun.

Archduke Karl has brilliantly disengaged from an overwhelming enemy to take up a defensive position behind the Piava. But this leaves Trevisa and her large depot to be plucked by the enemy along with my Jewel of the Adria to fall as quickly.

I cannot help think the enemy has let us escape for a reason. Did Massena expect us to run to Venice to hide behind the walls? That would be a sure death trap, and not a gift I wish to present to Bonapart.

Lötringen's cavalry is moving for Balogna, one of Massena's main supply sources. It will do nothing in the short term, but with help from the a friend, perhaps we can expand a small foothold in the Romagna to close off Massena's life line. Time will tell, and we have so little of it.

Reinforcements are training, but time, so little time.

Where are our friends? Will they be quick enough?

[HR][/HR]

Russia is far simpler and far more complex; her problems are small of yet.

Persia signed Defense Treaties with Armenia and Azeria and then declared war on Russia—what a bastardy thing to do—so both of them were forced to declare war as well. But that was last week, and this week the war may have already ended. We are not so sure as we have yet to see the enemy and reports are conflicting. But prepare we must for the worst and for the future.

Strange as it may seem, but to “convince” Chechenia to solidify their loyalty to us, we must first demonstrate our power to them. A quick conflict ending with with their surrendering the road between Grozny and Fort Vladikavkaz will insure this. Of course the Azurian section of the road will also be acquired, but they've already opened the door for me; how convenient.

My forces are already arriving ..

.. and the Dogs of War unleashed.

What was I saying about time? Oh yes, of the utmost importance. I wish all would think the same way.

[INDENT]I've heard rumors that Kutuzov has a tendency lean on Cognac far too much, when he should be marching. We shall wait and see.[/INDENT]

In the middle of Russia, it seems the only one actually marching is Leontievich, and he has a long march ahead of himself.

But what we can do, is bring other forces together and apply pressure where it may hurt. Did I hear the expression somewhere, the soft underbelly of the beast?

The first Russian force to sight the enemy may however be already in the Adria.

This time however, the Austrians will assist another nation in their undertaking.

On a more strategic note, the last turn I purchase some EP's to use this turn to develop the Depot Logistics National Modifier. With the long, long distances, being able to gain replacements far more quickly will be important for the future.

I've also request Transports form the British to move troops from the Black Sea into the Mediterranean. We will see if that is possible and practical.

Captain_Orso

Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:26 pm

Duty wears a black shroud
Emperor Franz I von Österreich-Ungarn, in Gottes Gnade

Ulm has fallen †

Memmingen had fallen †

Prague has fallen † and Munich shall follow.

I pray that Schulmeister will burn in hades for all eternity .

So many of our best and bravest generals have been laid to rest. Who shall replace them. Who can replace them.

And while the noblest blood Austria can offer drenches the soil, Kutuzov does nothing. Only Prussia, youngest ally of our suffering land nears the enemy.

In all our lands north of the Alp only Archduke Johann commands a small army; out numbered, nearly surrounded, the enemy hard on his heals.

Only Archduke Karl has escaped destruction. But why? Has Messena fallen ill? Has he gone mad? Only his scouts have shown their faces to Venice. Lothringen has reached his goal, but can he take it before his supplies are exhausted and the enemy turns to hunt him down?

[HR][/HR]

The Russian bear has been distracted by the bees threatening to sting his belly. But the bear is ill tempered and strikes out. Although Chechenia has not tried to sting, he stands in the way and must be pushed to the side. To insure lines of communication, Chechenia must be convinced to surrender her roads south, that Azeria may do the same.

Grozny has already been abandoned, although not entirely of free will.

Kutuzov has yet to discover the bottom of his bottle...

.. but his officers understand the meaning of duty and are ready to advance to Austria's aid.

But will they be on time?

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:13 pm

Turn 5 Battles GB:

As always the Royal Navy triumphes most gloriously ;-D No new promotions though...
Attachments
2015-12-17 22_55_11-AGE.png
2015-12-17 22_54_47-AGE.png
2015-12-17 22_54_27-AGE.png
2015-12-17 22_54_00-AGE.png

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:18 pm

GB gets stronger with another modifier - which will help with fast raids at coastal areas.
The Haiti force arrives in Jamaica, will rest two turns and then united with the Jamaica force take back Haiti.
the NM of GB is great - and the CB too - just Austria and Prussia seem quite weak compared to France - lets see we will do our best ;-D
Still waiting two more turns for Moore to unlock and lead our awesome British Home army into battles with Napoleon and helping our Austrian allies.
Everything went into replacements again - for GB anmd Prussia and both lack war supplies - that seems to be the one thing that could bottle neck our war production. Lets see...
Attachments
2015-12-17 23_06_41-AGE.png
2015-12-17 23_07_57-AGE.png
2015-12-17 22_56_49-AGE.png

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:20 pm

Prussia declared war to France and his bleu and will try to help Austria from next turn on...troops moving into position everywhere!
Attachments
2015-12-17 23_02_36-AGE.png
2015-12-17 23_02_20-AGE.png

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Sorry guys, due to RL time issues I have to stop this AAR - maybe Captain Orso wants to gon on...

Return to “WON AARs”