Monash
Conscript

Command Points and Chain of Command

Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:48 am

I have a question regarding command points (CP) and the 50% out of command penalty. My understanding is that a stack that is neither an Army nor a Corps (i.e., an "independent" stack) suffers a 50% reduction in CP provided by leaders. This is described on page 38 under the heading "Out-of-Command Chain Penalty – Important." This seems simple enough and I am familiar with it from other games such as CW2. However, I don’t see this penalty being applied in this game.

Take Prussia at the beginning of the Grand Campaign in August 1805. On starting the game, the player is told Prussia starts with 1 army and zero Corps. Therefore, I am expected to see the 50% penalty applied to all Prussian stacks with the exception of the single army corps. But this is not what I see.

Consider the stack that starts in Magdeburg, the VI. Armeekorps Westfalen. This stack has a single two star general (Blucher, [4-4-3]). So before applying any penalty, this leader provides 12 CP. However, it is not a Corps nor an army (the single army is in Berlin), so it is an independent stack, so it has the 50% penalty, so Blucher only provides 6 CP. But the tooltip shows a total of 14 provided command! How is this possible?

I understand being part of the chain of command can provide additional CP, but this stack is NOT part of the chain of command so that can’t explain it.

I see the stack includes some sort of “HQ” unit. I am unable to find any information about these units. Removing it from the stack reduces provided CP by 2 points to a total of 12. Which is equal to the CP provided by the leader without any penalty being applied.

Can anyone please explain what I am missing?

Monash
Conscript

Re: Command Points and Chain of Command

Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:48 pm

Correction to the above:

There are THREE leaders in the stack in Magdeburg, not one only: One 2-star and two 1-star. Together, and before any penalty, these three leaders provide 16 CP. Applying the 50% penalty reduces this to 8. Plus the 2 from this “HQ” unit gives 10. Tooltip shows 14 provided CP. So, my original issue remains.

Stratman
Captain

Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:49 pm

Monash wrote:Consider the stack that starts in Magdeburg, the VI. Armeekorps Westfalen. This stack has a single two star general (Blucher, [4-4-3]). So before applying any penalty, this leader provides 12 CP. However, it is not a Corps nor an army (the single army is in Berlin), so it is an independent stack, so it has the 50% penalty, so Blucher only provides 6 CP. But the tooltip shows a total of 14 provided command! How is this possible?

Hi Monash!

Let's look at VI. Armeekorps Westfalen:
Blucher(**) provides 6CP
Renbow(*) - 3CP
Arnim(*) - 3 CP
HQ (see special abilities of this unit) - 2 CP
Total - 14 CP (as we see on the Stack`s stats)

Also note that sometimes there is a leader inside the unit (division) and you can see him by clicking on the unit.

I think manual is wrong in these points (p38): 2 stars Leader povides 6 CP (not 8); the Stack is limited to a maximum of 14 CP (not16), and there is not 50% penalty for Independant Stack.
Game experts, please correct me if I`m wrong.

Bohémond

Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:35 am

Hi,

From gamelogic settings

ldrCommandMaximaRank1 = 4 // Nb of CP provided by a rank 1 leader
ldrCommandMaximaRank2 = 8 // Nb of CP provided by a rank 2 leader
ldrCommandMaximaRank3 = 12 // Nb of CP provided by a rank 3 leader
ldrCommandCap = 16 // base CP cap to a stack

ldrOutOfChainCmdCoeff = 75 // coefficient to CP accrued if not in the chain of command, in %

In Blucher Stack : Blucher (8CP)+2X 1 Star leader (4 CP each)+1XHQ (2CP) : 18 CP

Round (18 CP*0.75) : 14 CP

Same for Lestocq Korps

L'estocq (8CP)+ 1 Star leader (4CP)+ 1 HQ (2 CP) = 14 CP
Round (14 CP*0.75) = 11 CP

Manual seems right CP allowance by rank but out of chain of command penalty is 25 %

Hope it helps

Regards

Monash
Conscript

Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:17 am

Thank you Stratman and Bohemond. So I wasn’t going crazy, the manual is not accurate. I wonder which was the game designer’s intention for the chain of command penalty: 50% or 25%. Not important I guess, the key thing is I can now understand these calculations.

I’ve just really starting to get into the older AGEOD games. I’ve had AJE and CW2 in my game library for years but only recently started playing them and I’m totally hooked. Purchased a few other titles during the recent AGEOD sale. I feel like someone who has arrived very late to a rocking party, but I’m excited to get into some PBEM. In fact, this very question arose from me recently joining a PBEM WON game. Thanks again for helping me get into these games.

Regards,

Monash

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”