scsnv1
Conscript

Model Modding Issue

Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:11 am

This is actually technically a NCP issue as it relates to my purposes, but the same issue applies to WON, so I'm choosing the more active forum.

Essentially, model editing just outright does not work. When you change, say, the leader's NATO symbol or title via the model file, the game will outright just not reflect the changes. What you can do is alter the peripheral files (for example, change the NATO files themselves, so it will read the one you want, or change what the leader titles themselves mean through the strings).

Is there some other location where this data is stored/being extracted from in-game? Why are these changes not being reflected?

lodilefty

Re: Model Modding Issue

Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:43 pm

After making your changes, you must delete the file Models.Cached located in the /GameDataData/Models folder

The next time you load the game, this file will be recreated including your changes.
The game may load slower the first time while it recreates the Cache

incidentally, a similar situation exists in the Units folder! :sherlock: :papy:

:hat:

scsnv1
Conscript

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:00 am

lodilefty wrote:After making your changes, you must delete the file Models.Cached located in the /GameDataData/Models folder

The next time you load the game, this file will be recreated including your changes.
The game may load slower the first time while it recreates the Cache

incidentally, a similar situation exists in the Units folder! :sherlock: :papy:

:hat:

Ah, yep. I see it. Thanks for that, probably would've served me to look a little harder. :p

Not to stray too far from this subforum's purpose, but it appears my NCP files don't have the 'Models.Cached' and 'Units.Cached' files, unlike my WON files. Is that a mistake, or are those stored in some other location in NCP?

Pocus

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:17 am

I don't think it was done at the time of NCP.

scsnv1
Conscript

Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:13 pm

Pocus wrote:I don't think it was done at the time of NCP.

In that case, where might the equivalent be stored? Because changes to the model file does not result in in-game changes, so presumably that data is still stored somewhere else, if not 'Models.Cached' like in WON.

Offworlder
General

Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:46 am

I believe that you only need to insert .cached not in the models folder but rather at NCP level and both should pop up.

scsnv1
Conscript

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:25 am

Offworlder wrote:I believe that you only need to insert .cached not in the models folder but rather at NCP level and both should pop up.

Not sure I understand what you mean. How does one go about inserting a .cached file into NCP? I mean, this information is stored /somewhere/ already, so I'm a little confused about how to go about that/what it solves.

Pocus

Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:45 am

If there is no .cached file in either the units or models folder, then two things might happen, depending of the AGE engine generation.

1. It is not needed, and editing each file individually will result in a change in the game (if you edit the right file ;) )
2. It is needed, and upon start up the file will be recreated, go take a coffee, you have some time for the load to complete!

I'm pretty sure, but that's from memory that NCP did not use .cached, but I might be wrong.

Offworlder
General

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm

scsnv1 wrote:
Offworlder wrote:I believe that you only need to insert .cached not in the models folder but rather at NCP level and both should pop up.

Not sure I understand what you mean. How does one go about inserting a .cached file into NCP? I mean, this information is stored /somewhere/ already, so I'm a little confused about how to go about that/what it solves.

Sorry for not being clear as I'm no techie. So...

Find the NGC folder. Than insert .cache in the 'Search NGC' tab. 2 files will come up (I think they're called Models.cache and Units.cache but I'm writing from memory). Delete both files. Once you start the game, it will take longer to load but will do so with the new changes.

Hope that helps.

scsnv1
Conscript

Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:14 am

Pocus wrote:If there is no .cached file in either the units or models folder, then two things might happen, depending of the AGE engine generation.

1. It is not needed, and editing each file individually will result in a change in the game (if you edit the right file ;) )
2. It is needed, and upon start up the file will be recreated, go take a coffee, you have some time for the load to complete!

I'm pretty sure, but that's from memory that NCP did not use .cached, but I might be wrong.

You are correct that it does not used .cached/it did not have one in the first place. My question, then, is where is this information stored/what file serves the same purpose as .cached for NCP? Because changes to models are not reflected in the same way they aren't in WON (prior to the .cached being deleted/replaced), so presumably there is something else storing that information.

Pocus

Fri May 07, 2021 3:57 pm

That's weird. Are we talking of units not yet on the map? Because if so, a change in a mdl file should be reflected on new models created. I don't remember anything more for the older games, sorry.

scsnv1
Conscript

Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:00 am

Pocus wrote:That's weird. Are we talking of units not yet on the map? Because if so, a change in a mdl file should be reflected on new models created. I don't remember anything more for the older games, sorry.

We're talking of units that are on the map from the outset of the scenario. Is there some other location where the information of a model is stored in starting scenarios?

Pocus

Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:25 pm

Units on the map have their data stored in the initial scenario file, if the game has started. If not, then they should use the latest database definition, I don't see how that would be possible they not use it.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”