Offworlder
General

Siege warfare

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:19 pm

So I was playing WSS and I really like the fact that one cannot assault a fortified city with an army off the march, and must conduct a siege. Would it be possible to implement in WoN as at present, one can just assault any place without as much as waiting for a breach?

Let's face it, although not famous like the big battles that characterized this area, sieges were regularly conducted like for example the two sieges of Danzig, the one of Hamburg and several high profile ones in Spain (Zaragossa and Girona come to mind apart from the Torres Vedras). And also then it would make sense building engineers and/or siege guns which are quite redundant at this point.

Durk

Re: Siege warfare

Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:33 am

Interesting comments. I am quibbling with myself, but the side which is winning says:
The world of WSS and WON with regard to fortress attack, defense and purpose are poles apart. In WSS, the war was about siege warfare. The Wars of Napoleon were wars of movement where forts where often masked and ignored. And storming fortresses was much more practical, especially, under Napoleon.
So I like how each game presents and uses forts from an historical point of view with regard to how fortress fit into war plans, strategy and tactics.

Offworlder
General

Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:29 pm

However, even Napoleon was an avid investor in defensive masonry, especially in Italy. When on the attack, he did try to ignore fortifications, though that depended upon their importance. He was not adverse to direct attack, such as the 1st siege of Danzig for various strategic reasons. On the defensive he left some pretty heavy garrisons in strategic places (Danzig and Hamburg come to mind).

Gamewise, there are relatively few fortified cities so siege warfare would be relatively rare. Compared to reality, this is a bit off as Napoleon and his armies had to contend with sieges particularly in Spain, where the campaign did revolve around a number of sieges (Girona, Saragossa and so forth) and in Portugal.

Honestly, if sieges were implemented, the French wouldn't be able to blitz everyone in the first 2 years or so, the Russian could not just roll over all the smaller states, the Ottomans would be that much harder to defeat (they actually excelled in defensive siege warfare) and cities with defensive capabilities would acquire some importance. As it stands, fortifications are irrelevant...

Bargus
Corporal

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:02 pm

I wonder if you could add a high penalty for assaulting a fortification without a breach? Would it be as simple as changing a variable in the code? I actually don't know if there's already a malus for assaulting without a breach, but if there is, maybe that couple be doubled/tripled/whatever.

Offworlder
General

Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Not really sure if its possible. In other games, one can attack a field army if its in the open but the garrison would remain intact and then a siege would commence. Actually the siege mechanic in Ageod games is one of the best there is coz there are a number of variables which could either hasten or prolong a siege.

Offworlder
General

Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:40 am

So is there actually a way to prolong sieges as in WSS?

Offworlder
General

Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:06 am

Offworlder wrote:So is there actually a way to prolong sieges as in WSS?

Thread necromancy :)

Does anyone know how to create prolonged sieges a la WSS?

Bohémond

Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:11 pm

You can have a look at Gamelogic.opt file in WSS/Settings folder

CTRL+F for sieExtraModifier,

You can then modify the value to help either besieger or besieged side.

Regards

Offworlder
General

Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:28 am

Thanks for the heads up!

Offworlder
General

Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:29 pm

Interestingly the value is the same for both WoN and WSS...very strange

Nikel

Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:11 pm

And what about this option in GameRules file?

WSS

// Assault not allowed without Breach

rulBreachForAssault = 2 // 0: you can assault all forts even without breach. 1: all forts need to be breached, 2: level 2+ forts need to be breached, etc.

WoN

// Assault not allowed without Breach
rulBreachForAssault = 0

Offworlder
General

Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I'll try this as well

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”