jaylord
Conscript

Funny Stuff with National Morale, War Resistence, etc.

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Currently in campaign, mid-1809, and playing as Napoleon with AI on Hard with detection and activation bonuses. Was able to gather the French and Dutch Fleets together and have them led by the Dutch Admirals and they proceeded to bushwack the British fleet down to a nub.

So I had Napoleon invade England. Why not. It was dicey at first since the AI outnumbered me at first with very good generals (Wellington, Salaberry, etc.) After a bloodbath (>200k casualties in total) I prevailed and took London. British morale went to 0 and with their capital captured (and no new capital designated), the Brits should have surrendered. Game over.

But Nope. They started getting +10 NM per turn, but not from War Resilience/Return to Neutral. I loaded as the Brits and checked. They're getting 10 NM per turn for "Options and Events". What "Options and Events"? The log showed nothing. Taking over the Brits I see nothing in the RGD that effect NM except for raids on depots and there were none done. I think I saw the same thing in WoS playing Sweden in the Great Northern War. I took Moscow etc. and every objective except for a couple of minor ones in the far east and the Russian morale kept climbing, eventually eclipsing mine due to war weariness. There just wasn't enough (any really) Russian forces to knock their morale down.

In WoN Wellington fled to Portugal and has a decent sized army, but Lannes and his boys have got him cornered so I can knock him down some, but still not enough to overcome a 10NM gain every turn.

One other thing. The AI players all have huge EP balances. The Austrians have a bunch of reforms available that will greatly improve their army, but he's not spending them. I know there's no hope of getting it fixed, but maybe in the next iteration of the engine they can look at that.

Durk

Re: Funny Stuff with National Morale, War Resistence, etc.

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:29 pm

Have you tried with an easier AI. Some of what you see is simply a reflection of making AI Hard really hard.

jaylord
Conscript

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:33 am

Hard gives them movement and cohesion bonuses. There's nothing about the AI not surrendering when they're below there NM limit. I guess it's hard when you devise a strategy based on the rules and then the rules aren't followed. Oh well, I can declare victory and move on to another game (EIA) or try and offer the Brits peace, although I've yet to see the AI accept any peace no matter how much war score I leave on the table, and go beat up the Russians, again.

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Fri May 08, 2020 3:24 pm

I have noticed the huge bonus going to Brittain after defeat also, but my Grand Strategy in a couple of campaigns has been an early defeat of Russia, followed by the invasion and defeat of Great Brittain, followed by the invasion of Ireland and Spain, timed to end in 1815 and I am awarded by the victory.

I imagine those points could prove quite problematic if awarded early in the game, and France actually withdrew from Great Britain.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”