allan_boa
Colonel

England Invasion: GC start JAN 1805

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi there ! I'm new at WON and so far I love it !!

I was wondering about the JANUARY 1805 start with Grande Armee around Boulogne. I suppose the scenario is here to allow the player to try England's invasion, and just before the Austerlitz military campaign later in 1805.

But, I can't see how invading England could even be remotely possible in the game. In real life, at least the option was at least seriously considered by Napo but in the game I don't see how it even could become possible ?

a- FR Grand Army has no transport fleets. The max transport capacity is 60 while the weight of the Grande Armee is 500+++ (or so)
b- Buildiing transport ships takes 250 days and lots of ressources (war supplies) that the Empire hasn't.
c- Massive English fleets (1000+ strength) are blockading all FR ports.

So I would really appreciate if someone could give me the plan on how to invade ENG in 1805 just before Austria and Russia wake up ... ?

Thanks.

Durk

Re: England Invasion: GC start JAN 1805

Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:06 am

You can use the two scripts found in Options, either France Rules the Waves or France Hold the Caribbean Island (I forget the actual name but it bring the USA and Spain in against France against some enhanced French naval assets), but if you start with the Sea Lion option you have the strength to send a strong corps to England (I actually managed to do the same with the basic game start). You have a lot of barges. You need to be lucky, but a strong corps in army command is sufficient to challenge Britain in England.
You can invade turn one with sufficient strength.
No, you cannot get the Grand Army to Britain, but you can get a sufficient corps strength army to take London and do major damage to Britain's NM.

Stratman
Captain

Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:02 am

Durk wrote: No, you cannot get the Grand Army to Britain, but you can get a sufficient corps strength army to take London and do major damage to Britain's NM.

That`s the key! This is an optimal solution.
In my party (historical Grand Campaign) I find even this plan kind of risky anyway.
As French player I left some force on the West fear British invade and plan crash Austrian army.

allan_boa
Colonel

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:08 am

Durk wrote:You can use the two scripts found in Options, either France Rules the Waves or France Hold the Caribbean Island (I forget the actual name but it bring the USA and Spain in against France against some enhanced French naval assets), but if you start with the Sea Lion option you have the strength to send a strong corps to England (I actually managed to do the same with the basic game start). You have a lot of barges. You need to be lucky, but a strong corps in army command is sufficient to challenge Britain in England.
You can invade turn one with sufficient strength.
No, you cannot get the Grand Army to Britain, but you can get a sufficient corps strength army to take London and do major damage to Britain's NM.

I don't know what scripts are ?
I'm using the standard GC scenario starting in January 1805. But anyway, I don't think it's a good strategy to invade England with the Grande Armee and let the eastern border vulnerable to Austrians. I just wanted to know if it's possible with the standard scenario. But maybe should I try to send a single corp ... and see if it can take London. Fascinating ...

Durk

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:40 am

Scripts are found on the last tab of the Options menu. They are historical 'what ifs' and can be a lot of fun.
Remember a corps does not actually mean a corps, it means a smaller army. Napoleon can lead it and leave defense of the Austrian border to a subordinate or vice versa.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”