allan_boa
Colonel

Should I stay or should I go ?

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:40 am

Hi there,
I read many very bad reviews about the game, particularly on Steam. So my question is simple: should I buy it and why ? Or why not ?
I love ageod engine (with some minor/cosmetic reservations however) and I love Napoleonic era.
I heard that the AI is totally dumb.
Hence my question : "Should I buy or shouldn't I ? Should I purchase or should I go ?"
:siffle: :siffle: :siffle:

Straight Arrow
General

Re: Should I stay or should I go ?

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:07 pm

Try the Grand Campaign "solo."

You'll still be playing when the doomsday trumpets blow, but it's worth it.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:36 pm

Try the earlier Napoleon's Campaigns. Less than a £/$/€ (used) on Amazon in UK a few minutes ago and you get a paper manual.

Here's an AAR albeit some pictures don't work now: viewtopic.php?f=138&t=7475

allan_boa
Colonel

Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:33 am

I purchased WON but it keeps crashing and works VERY poorly on my laptop. Very hard to zoom in/out or to move the map. It's also crashing randomly and turn resolution lasts forever (couple of minutes) even the first turn of the GC without any order given. After 30 minutes of pure pain I decided to ask a refund ... Too bad. :-(((

I purchased Napoleons Campaigns longtime ago but never played it. I will give it a new try but can't find the file anymore. Still have the serial nb though .. if very cheap might have to repurchase.

Durk

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:04 am

These crashes are common if you do not run in administrative mode, if you are doing so, please repost the issue.

allan_boa
Colonel

Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:39 am

Durk wrote:These crashes are common if you do not run in administrative mode, if you are doing so, please repost the issue.

I was running from steam ... so probably not in administrative mode. But I already requested the refund which has already been accepted. Anyway, it was definitely not running on my computer, far too slow (zooms, turn resolution, moving the map) . I always had difficulties with RUS and CW2 too but at the end of the day I manage to play them but with WON it was 100%v clear that it won't work.
Too bad. :-(

allan_boa
Colonel

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:21 am

OK, Despite the refund the game is still on my HD (I suppose it will soon be removed) so I was able to try the admin mode. Didn't have a crash this time but it didn't change the fact that the game runs very slowly (scrolling map, zooms, length of turn resolution). So I will pass on this one. It's a pity because playing Napo on ageod engine must be real cool. Anyway, I already have a lot to do with RUS, CW2 and TYW so I can wait for the next game and AGE 2.0.

Durk

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:58 am

I think if you enter the options menu and devote more of your computer's memory to this game you will find the speed is very ok.

allan_boa
Colonel

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:24 am

I usually allow the maximum % of RAM to the games. But I just noticed one thing that definitely improved things with PON and RUS (so it would probably imporove WON too but it's too late now, got refunded) is to change the compatibility mode to windows 7 (yes, I'm still running win 7). So admin mode + win7 compatibility seems to do marvels. A pity I didn't know that when I purchased WON.

One setup I'm not sure about is the texture size in the game options menu. There are 4 boxes and which one would you click for the best performance ?
Thx

allan_boa
Colonel

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:47 am

Believe it or not, I decided to give it a new try in admin mode + windows 7 compatibility mode so I repurchased it :mdr: :mdr: :mdr: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Currrently downloading ...

allan_boa
Colonel

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:15 pm

allan_boa wrote:Believe it or not, I decided to give it a new try in admin mode + windows 7 compatibility mode so I repurchased it :mdr: :mdr: :mdr: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Currrently downloading ...

I'm glad to annonce that with admin mode and windows 7 compatibility, the game runs very well ! Not the best ever but largely enough to be enjoyable !

That's so cool !!!! Gonna kick some Austrian asses !! :dada: :mdr:

Stratman
Captain

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:48 pm

allan_boa wrote:
I'm glad to annonce that with admin mode and windows 7 compatibility, the game runs very well ! Not the best ever but largely enough to be enjoyable !

I am so glad for YOU allan_boa!!
I know that you love Napolenic Era like me!
Enjoy WON as me!! :dada:

... and do not ignore Russian Cossacs :indien: :indien: :indien:

allan_boa
Colonel

Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:50 pm

SMikh wrote:
allan_boa wrote:

I am so glad for YOU allan_boa!!
I know that you love Napolenic Era like me!
Enjoy WON as me!! :dada:

... and do not ignore Russian Cossacs :indien: :indien: :indien:

yeah !!! :coeurs:

phoenix
Captain

Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm

You're not someone with 2 cards in your set-up are you - an intel card and a dedicated (nvidia etc) card? If so, you need the fix to make sure the game uses your nvida card, or everything will be painful.

wrlertola
Corporal

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:49 am

You can also turn off "Textures Initialized", it'll be a bit of a slow scroll when the game starts but rapidly picks up scrolling speed and you'll see much fewer crashes.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”