Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Use of Armies before Corps are enabled

Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:11 am

Yes, this is a very newbish question but I cannot find the exact answer in the manual: What use are Armies before Corps are enabled, for countries other than France? Can they provide bonuses to Independent stacks nearby?

In the manual it is written that Armies cannot initiate battles by themselves:

An Army HQ with combat Units in reserve will react quickly to support Corps formations but should not be viewed as a combat Stack. It is important to note that a lone Army Stack will never initiate combat by itself.

For example, at the beginning of 1805 Russia can create two Armies in 1805, but no Corps. One is already created under Alexander, but I can create another. The reason is, what for if I cannot create Corps?

Thanks!

Durk

Re: Use of Armies before Corps are enabled

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:02 am

Primarily an army provides better command control. You do not get the battle bonus of attached corps, but you do get your forces in command control without penalty.

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:29 am

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "command control", game-wise. If I enter a battle with an Independent stack and a full-CP Army lays nearby, will the latter still march to the sound of guns? Will they still act as an operational reserve?

What is confusing to me is that Armies cannot initiate battle on their own. So if I put Divisions and Regiments into one and bring that Army to a border for a fight, these must get involved somehow...

Captain_Orso

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:16 am

Each unit is requires a minimum number of CP's (Command Points) to be fully commanded; generally, 1 CP per element.

CP's are provided by leaders to the stacks which contain them. The easiest way to think of it is

* provide 2 CP's
** provide 4 CP's
*** & **** provide 6 CP's

Leaders within an Army Chain of command (inside an Army or Corps Stack provide twice as many CP's as otherwise.

The total number of CP's which leaders my provide to a stack are:

- 8, if outside an Army Chain of Command,
- 16, if within and army Chain of Command.

These limits my be modified by abilities of leaders within a stack.

A stack without sufficient CP's is penalized -5% Power and -5% Movement for each CP lacking, up to a malus of -30%.

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:08 pm

But Armies cannot initiate combat, as per the manual. So what's the use, without Corps?

Let's say I have an Army with enough units to reach 21 CP, how can I use them for combat? Or should I leave it empty behind and use only Independent stacks to fight, until Corps arrive?

arsan

Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:11 pm

Armies won't initiate offensive combat if accompanied by some other friendly stack in the region. They will defend normally.

If there are no other friendly stack in the region they will initiate combat normally, both offensive and defensive.
I "think" friendly units inside a structure in the same region will not affect the army ability to initiate combat.. But I may be wrong in this last thing...
Regards!

Captain_Orso

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:01 pm

Not only will they defend normally, they can be called on to be included in combat; and I'm not talking about MTSG.

I think stack inside a structure with an Army stack outside, do not count for additional stacks in the region. Structures are kind of their own region.

Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Thank you all! :sherlock:

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”