HHFD50
Captain

Replacements

Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:53 am

How can I add more available replacements to my usable reserve? For example, I have 400 conscript companies available for new unit recruitment, but 0 in reserve for replacements. Is there a way to assign any or all of those 400 AS replacements? Also, what happens if you have 0 available reserve but request them anyway? They are being paid for and assigned...somewhere. Do you get them back or do they go into the reserve at some point? Although Ive never seen that happen. How in some games are there more available replacements, but in others very little or none? How does this work and what influences it?

Durk

Re: Replacements

Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:57 am

I am not certain if I am answering your question, if I am not just write me off as an idiot who cannot read, but I think this is the answer.

On Tab 2 if you click past the first page, you come to a replacement screen where you can build replacements for your forces you faction and your allied replacements.
Once you have built them they remain until added to your forces.

HHFD50
Captain

Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:27 am

Right, but how do you actually “build” the replacements? lol Building new units is the only thing I see one can do there besides request replacements if any are in reserve. But my question is how do you build replacements to be put in the reserve pool to be used AS replacements? In any event, thanks for answering John. You are certainly NOT an idiot my friend. lol You read it correctly I believe. This is a tough topic that has always remained mysterious to me.

phoenix
Captain

Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Two sides to the production page, right? The left side shows recruits you've ordered. The right side shows replacements. You click on each replacement chit to order them, no? Then they are placed 'automatically'. If an element is suffering only attrition it may get replacements. If an element is completely eliminated then it's too late. Then it can only be replaced via recruitment. To be eligible for replacements I believe it must be in a depot town and not move. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on all this. I agree it's a difficult topic and reading the manual didn't make it any clearer for me. An idiots guide to replacements and recruiting would be great.

Captain_Orso

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Press <F2> to open the "War Ministry" page, which is divided between showing the Units currently being trained on the left and details of such Units, if you click on one, on the right. Above the right side is an icon with two soldier busts. Click on this to open the Replacements menu.

Here you will see 5 icons --a soldier, a cavalryman, a cannon, a supply wagon and a ship, and above those an icon with "+1* on it. Click the "+1" icon to switch between ordering or canceling 1 or 5 replacements per click. Left-click the appropriate icon to add +1/+5 to your order of infantry, cavalry, artillery, supply unit/support unit, or naval replacements. Right-click to reduce your order by -1/-5.

During turn execution the replacements will be added to the appropriate replacement pool and can already be used during the beginning of that turn. So if you are missing hits from a type of element and order replacements, after turn execution you might not see all of the replacements you ordered, as some of them have already been used to replace hits to units on the map.

Khanti
Captain

Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 pm

HHFD50 wrote:How can I add more available replacements to my usable reserve? For example, I have 400 conscript companies available for new unit recruitment, but 0 in reserve for replacements. Is there a way to assign any or all of those 400 AS replacements? (...)?

Yes. The others said it, but for me the easiest way is to use Bohémond's minimod:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=392&t=52340

It's just much better and you will see all numbers on one page.
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

HHFD50
Captain

Fri May 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Thank you all for your responses and input, however, you are misunderstanding what I am asking. I already know how to order replacements, etc., what I want to know, is how to replenish your reserves once they are completely depleted. The reserves listed available AS replacements. For example, I have 1140 missing hits, say 500 companies of conscripts, but 0 ...none...available RESERVES. How do I replace the RESERVES so I can use them AS replacements?

Khanti
Captain

Fri May 11, 2018 4:07 pm

1. Upper screen says: 500 conscripts companies [available, +how many more will come]
2. Military Recruitment Mode allows you recruit units like brigades, ships, regiments and put them on map. All numbers of available units are finite (eg. 3 available infantry divisions, 2 infantry divisions on map) - you can use all available units and no more (unless technology, reforms, options, events give your nation more)
3. F2 Military Production screen allows to purchase replacements (made of those conscripts from point 1) into elements that can be used by depleted units (from point 2).

Which point is your question?

"I have 1140 missing hits, say 500 companies of conscripts, but 0 ...none...available RESERVES. How do I replace the RESERVES so I can use them AS replacements?"

To purchase reserves you need conscript companies AND/OR horses, war supplies, money.
If you have 1140 missing hits, 500 conscript companies, 0 money and 0 war supplies - you can not buy replacements to be in reserve.
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

Captain_Orso

Fri May 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Exactly where are you seeing "0" reserves?

HHFD50
Captain

Sun May 20, 2018 3:09 pm

In parathentheses in between “hits missing” and the order replacement “button” it says “0” in reserve.

Captain_Orso

Tue May 22, 2018 8:15 pm

You mean on the <F2> page? That means that all the replacement chits you purchased of that type in previous turn have been expended to replace missing elements and/or missing hits.

HHFD50
Captain

Fri May 25, 2018 3:12 am

Yes. That would make better sense to me if I saw a difference in the numbers though lol

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Fri May 25, 2018 3:36 am

Not sure if I have the answer for you, but it is partially addressed by Phoenix above. It is common to push forward with your stronger advanced corps such as France's 3rd, 4th and 5th corps. They do the brunt of the fighting and take losses. But since they have better commanders and better units, you keep them in front. You need to replace lost units.

However, as long as they are pushing forward, establishing supply and staying in an aggressive posture, replacements will go to troops in the back and even to depot units. The only way to ensure that your advance corps have replacements it to pull them from the front, back into a depot and then to set their posture to passive. At that point you should see their strength increase through both replacements and increased cohesiveness.

Captain_Orso

Mon May 28, 2018 7:21 am

HHFD50 wrote:Yes. That would make better sense to me if I saw a difference in the numbers though lol

If an element is replaced, you get a message in the mail box (Message Panel); filter by clicking the icon in the middle with the 3 soldiers. This is where you get messages about new units completing their training. Depending on the scenario you are playing many units you start with are missing especially artillerie batteries and cavalry.

Hits replaced are not reported (and be glad they are not). It could otherwise flood the mail box with dozens of messages of 1 or 2 hits being replaced.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”