Offworlder
General

French Strategy in Spain

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:56 am

So as the French, one gets the 'opportunity' to take over Spain. However, I'd like some opinions on the best way to deal with this theatre. In one of the information screens, you are told that conquering all cities in the Iberian peninsula, you would obtain a major victory. However, does this mean that all the cities turn into Franco-Spanish territory?

If this is not the case what is the best option available? I'm thinking along these lines mainly -

a) heavily defeat the Spanish (not that difficult), force them to liberate Franco-Spanish faction in a peace, take a breather, and then proceed with the conquest. I believe that this would give you the opportunity to raise Spanish units in Madrid.

or

b) continue conquering in Spain until taking it over completely

Problem is, I don't know what will happen eventually if I conquer the whole peninsula. Anybody knows?

Durk

Re: French Strategy in Spain

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 am

This depends a lot upon whether you are playing against AI or in pbem. Against AI the best option is to invade and control all of Spain.
In pbem play you need to follow the British initiative. So many British players want to invade Spain, so you support Spain. but if the British player is more historical in play and avoids invading, then you should go for Portugal while Spain is an ally.

Offworlder
General

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:20 am

Hi Durk

Playing against the AI. Actually I already invaded Spain, so that is not the main issue. However, the best strategy to follow as the French invader is a bit murky in my mind.

If I remember well, the Franco-Spanish faction gets only Madrid. However, if you conquer the whole Peninsula, does this faction actually take all the territory? Because if it does, maybe it would be more beneficial to actually wait and take over the Peninsula rather than adopt what amounts to a series of half measures to activate the Franco-Spanish faction (By activate I mean recruiting their troops).

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:57 am

Hi: I am a bit confused with this post. There is no Spanish Scenario as part of Wars of Napoleon, but of course you can invade Spain as part of one of the campaign games. Therefore, I don't know how you would start with only Madrid, since you have to declare War on Spain and then invade it. Is there any chance that you are speaking of the older Napoleon's Campgians game which did have a Spanish Scenario?

Offworlder
General

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:58 pm

If you liberate the Franco-Spanish faction, in the past this meant basically giving them Madrid.

Basically what I'm asking is related to what happens if as the French, you conquer the Iberian Peninsula. Do the conquered provinces become Franco-Spanish? Or do such provinces remain just occupied French territory? When can one activate the Franco-Spanish faction?

Durk

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:52 am

There are some divergent paths from a French invasion.
If you invade by declaring war on Spain, then Spain is a hostile power, which it sounds like you have done. In this instance, it is like invading any other nation. The power is hostile, but you can gain a peace where you can take some regions in a peace if you wish. Otherwise, you can suppress the Spanish state, but you cannot make it a new ally as you can the Rhine Confederation or Poland.
In my understanding, the primary course you should follow is to enter Spain as an ally and then attack Portugal to deny it to Britain. This game is very open to alt-historical play. But if you goal is to gain a Franco/Spanish long term alliance as in history, do not declare war upon Spain. Instead, keep your alliance. Send a force to assist and aim to take Gibraltar and Lisbon. In this way, Spain remains an ally. You will have rebels when Britain intervenes on the peninsula, but that is the cost of supporting an ally.
Not sure this helps, but my suggestion for now.

Offworlder
General

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Thanks Durk. In an indirect way you answered my question. Therefore Spain will remain a drain and the Franco-Spanish faction only a rather minor ally. Conquering the whole Peninsula doesn't turn it Ftanco-Spanish.

Oh well, the die is cast and therefore I'll just pummel the Spanish until they give up...

Durk

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:53 pm

There are annexation events associated with northern and western Spain. I have never been playing as France when they fired but if offered and you are successful five regions of Spain join the Empire.
One event replicates the February 1810 decision when Napoleon establishes six new governments in Northern Spain taking power from Joseph.
The other is the January annexation of Catalonia.

Offworlder
General

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks for the info... I knew about Catalonia but not the other event.

Should be interesting :)

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”