Andris
Private

Commanding another nation's troops

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:39 pm

I am playing the Brits.
Portugal joined the Alliance, I have a general in Lisbon who can command Portuguese as well as British troops (so they say).
But he can't in fact. There is no way I can place him in a stack consisting of Portuguese troops.
Do I miss something?

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Re: Commanding another nation's troops

Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:49 am

Never tried it from the Coalition side, but the way it works on the French side is that you use the diplomacy option to request expeditionary forces to be given to England from Portugal. Once they have given you forces, you should be able to command them by generals who have the ability to command them. The granting of forces is like a random chance, so keep requesting it until they are granted to you. You can do the same with naval forces.

Andris
Private

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks!

Offworlder
General

Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Also you get some RDGs like the 'Mafra depot' or something (sorry forgot its precise name), and you actually get a new Portugese army.

Captain_Orso

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:11 pm

You can not directly control another faction's troops marching under their colors. You can however request to have troops lent to you. If your request is successful in getting your aligned faction to lend you troops, they will then have your factions nation crest displayed on them, and you can use them the same as you would your own, including putting your multi-national leader in command of them. If they lend you a stack of troops, you will get a message in the mail-box telling you so.

You can also use the <Tab> menu to 'paint' an area (one or more adjacent regions) you wish a specific faction to have greater (or lesser) interest in. That faction however will still decide how it manages that interest in this area.

One area per faction at a time, as far as I know.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”