evanofsaxony
Conscript

Not sure what to do next, need some guidance

Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:49 am

Hello,

I am brand new to AGEOD games, I recently just figured out how to play the TYW and realized it's a very fun engine, easy to use once you get the hang of things. So I decided to pick up WoN off the steam sale and I'm glad I did.

I'm playing as the Austrians in the grand campaign, it's currently June 1805. I have made some alliances, all of which was in aims of rebuilding the third coalition. I'm not sure how scripted / structured the game is so I did it anyways. (Perhaps I have already missed the event or something?)

Anyways onto the point of this thread, I declared war on Bavaria as they had declared war on the HRE and were also at war with Britain. Upon declaring war against Bavaria, France did not come to their aid like I thought they were going to. So I am now 3 weeks into the war and I have already routed Deroy's army as I am pressing deep into Bavaria with 4 corps. For resources and whatnot I have:
817k pounds
2130 conscripts
546 war supply
261 horse, and finally -
145 engagement points.

What should I spend it all on? Is it worth it to build a fleet? I'm not sure where to go next, as Napoleon is now the King of Italy as well.

TLDR; Winning in bavaria but not sure of what steps to take next or how to use my resources properly via recruitment etc.

Thanks for reading!

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Re: Not sure what to do next, need some guidance

Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Evan of Saxony:

I have never played the Austrian side, but you mention it is June 1805. My expectation is that come September, you will be in a world of hurt. It is going to feel like the Tsunami rolled over you. You must be playing the larger of the two Campaign games which begins with the French army on the coast. They likely remained encamped through Spring since moving in Winter is very costly. But by June they are likely coming across France to hit you.

If I were you, I would be putting your forces into the strongest defensive positions possible quickly and then letting them entrench. You also need to be increasing the fortifications back from Ratisbon, to munich to salzberg, Linz and Vienna. Watch your flanks since the French will likely try and envelop your position in Bavaria. Try to bloody Napoleon as he hits your prepared defenses, but realize that you will not hold him and will need to fall back in an ordered way, ready to jump on any French units that get ahead of the main force.

This is a long struggle. You will not win the war in 1805 because your army has not gone through enough improvements to be able to compete with the French. Your strategy should be to with draw in tact as much of your army, grabbing a few isolated victories which can give experience to your generals and troops and hopefully increase the skill of your leadership cadre.

Your goal should be to retain a meaningful fighting force, reorganize with the best leaders in command, modernize your army and have a striking force which can damage Napoleon in 1806-1807 when he is engaged with the Prussians and Russians. In other words you want to stage the equivalent of an 1813 Allied strategy, but much earlier. One option might be to withdraw your forces to Budapest, sign a treaty with France and then start a war with the Ottomans in order to refine your force and upgrade your leadership. After you have sharpened your army against the Ottomans, you can choose the proper time to hit the French.

- C.M.

evanofsaxony
Conscript

Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Colonel Marbot,

Thanks for your reply! It is now August, and the French are launching an all out offensive into my territory. I took the Italian fortress at Mantova, but in North it is looking real bad.

The AI cleverly sent Mortier's and Laurstn deep into mainland Austria, taking Ofen. However, I did managed to position Archduke Josef's army nearby to challenge Mortier and Laurstn until Alvinczy can arrive with his Corp.

It is really amazing how effectively the AI can punish me for mistakes, as Mack's corp is nearly surrounded near Salzburg, in which the French have already taken that city. I'm trying to find a way to get Mack out but i don't think it'll be possible.

It also appears that the Prussians have sent troops over the border to help me a bit, but more so the Russians have sent troops as well but I'm afraid their number is far too little to be of use right now.

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:33 am

Evan of Saxony:

Thanks for sharing your game progress. I find what you say interesting. Ofen/Budapest is very deep in into Austrian territory to be there so early.. September. Also, that it is Lauristan and Mortier there. in the historical setup Lauristan has an expeditionary force poised to sail from the South of France and Mortier had parts of the guard which should not be too far from Napoleon. Very curious that they would be in Budapest in September. I wonder if the AI / Athena did some reorganization or the French Army.

Keep us posted how things go.

evanofsaxony
Conscript

Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:20 am

Thanks for the reply, Colonel.

Unfortunately, I had to reinstall the game to fix an error that suddenly broke my game (seemingly, overnight) and lost the saved game in the process. I'm going to try things with the Prussians, and we'll see how this goes. I managed to take Kiel from the Danish, they sued for peace, and I obliged. Now I await the moment to strike into Bremen as the French are busy in the south with Austria, and the Swedish joined the coalition?

Colonel Marbot
Lieutenant

Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Evan of Saxony:

Sorry you had that error that stopped you. You might try adjusting the setting of how many turns it saves. I use 6, but even 9 would not be out of order. Going back a few turns in order to bypass a corrupted file is rough, but it is better than starting all over again.

I'm curious what would happen if the Prussians decided to improve relations with France and declare war with France against Russia. How much territory could Prussia take from Russia? ... the Baltics perhaps? All of Sweden?

Have fun with your game.

Durk

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:17 am

One thing I do when I have an issue requiring reinstalling the game, I set all the scenario files aside in a separate folder, then I can use them when I return to the game.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”