sorta
Captain

Can the Austria join Coalition in 1805 Scripted Event be removed?

Thu May 25, 2017 1:11 pm

If some people like this event that's fine but this should be an option. I play wargames as I like to make my own history. Playing Austria and being forced to DoW on FR and Join the Coalition is an abomination of the principles underlying wargaming!!

From the ongoing PBEM:

Unfortunately joining the coalition and dow FR is a scripted event and a very bad scripted event because:
1) takes away decision making from the player which is the whole point of a wargame.
2) pretty much destroys my early game strategy of trying to stay neutral by forcing AU into the spotlight
3) causes VP loss by canceling alliances
4) blocks alliances from happening for a long time
5) destroys relationship points between powers - -100 with FR after war
6) forces war against FR
7) forces AU to join Coalition - perhaps AU wants to ally with FR

The biggest decision a ruler (player) can make is 1) DOW 2) joining the Coalition and this is taken away.

This game has lots of problems but the choices are plowing on and enjoying the grand landscape or giving up. On balance playing a Napoleonic game is just slightly better than giving up

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Re: Can the Austria join Coalition in 1805 Scripted Event be removed?

Thu May 25, 2017 11:46 pm

I agree here.

There are reasons for Austria and France to get along, as Talleyrand pointed out to Napoleon. I love the effort being put into those scripts, wich bring the game alive, especially in singleplayer. They should be optional though in MP in the regard to questions of alliance and war and peace. Maybe with a button in the options screen.

Joining the Coalition should be optional for Austria. In return seperate peace or leaving it (other than by Schönbrunn peace et al) should have severe impact on relatio9ns and morale. Same should then aplly to other nations who could join the Coalition.
Or maybe Austria could be presented with an option to acknowledge Napoleons claim on the Italian crown, wich prevents the Coaölition scripts to fire, but shifts Austrias relations to other European powers around ++ to French Alliance, -- to all others. Similar to events triggered by Reforms.
The players would at least be presented with a few branches of development in the first years, a kind of exit out of the historical outcome into an alternative.

Durk

Fri May 26, 2017 3:43 am

I am so mixed on this discussion. I usually view this conflict as a war between France and Austria more than a conflict between England and France. As the game is designed, it is a French/British conflict. So in this game, Austria needs to be a free agent to play alliances as it chooses.
A great thing about WON is the flexibility of diplomacy with some hardwired events. The length of this war and the coalitions over time are still emerging in game play. I am of the opinion this game will replace the classic board war game, Diplomacy as it suggests through hardwired events, the historical course of events, but allows players to shape the direction of any individual country's ambitions.

Captain_Orso

Fri May 26, 2017 7:42 am

If Austria loses NM and standing with other factions for France occupying what will become the Kingdom of Italy. The same for France creating the Kingdom of Italy. Then I would say, yes, Austria can play the appeasement card and let France trample on Austria's historic spheres of influence and neighbors, and see what happens.

sorta
Captain

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Austria should be able the play the appeasement card from the start of the game - surely its the player's decision? If not me then who? :dada:

Captain_Orso

Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:54 am

Not from the start of the game. Only from the one scenario, the one which starts early 1805. In the August 1805 you would be breaking with what had historically already happened.

I haven't look directly into the events, but it may be as simple as setting out one event, which puts Austria in the coalition. You could easily mod that yourself to prevent it from firing.

Of course, I would expect France to have even more reason to attack Austria. France didn't attack Austria because Austria joined the coalition, but because it was France's political goal to reduce Austria's influence on central European politics.

But IMHO (this is of course only conjecture, because we are talking about alternate history), Austria could only appease France, if France gained about the same results through the appeasement, as France gained historically through the war. That would be the appeasement, not that Austria didn't join the coalition. And that would mean that Austria signs the Peace of Pressburg in early 1805 without having fought a war first.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”