veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Chrome improvements

Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:29 am

Hello everybody, I played a little bit more over the festive truce and despite some known issues that will hopefully get addressed in the coming patches, I wanted to point out a few chrome aspects that could get improved maybe even by the fanbase if we are told how :

1/ Division names when you form them. As the french when you form divisions out of several brigades they get hardcoded names which are somewhate disorderly or downright messy : Bessieres' div will get the "Garde Impériale" name tag, Lelli's div in Gouvion St Cyr's Corps will get the "xth division Gouvion Corps" name thing but a division formed with individual generals suchs as Reille (in Toulon) or Montbrun or Chasseloup in Italy will get just the leader's full name, but with the golden name tag instead of silver. This just doesn't give you the feeling it's a division. A simple change would be that a division's name can only be of 2 kinds:
- If you just join a leader to a divisional size unit (either a new division you built say "1ère division d'infanterie de ligne", or one of the prexisting ones at the beginning of the game "2nd Division 3C") than the grouping takes the unit's name (with or without the leader's face if it's generic or not).
- If you create a division the old fashioned AACW way by joining an active leader + several units the new unit instead of just having the leader's gold plated full name "Charles Montbrun" it should just take the leader's last name + the word division : "division Montbrun" in french or put it in the english order "Montbrun division" "Chasseloup division", etc... I can understand not using numbers like in AACW or CW2 because there are several kinds of divisions just as not allowing the players to name the divisions themselves, but just having the leader name with no indication this is a division is a bit disappointing chrome wise.

2/ Ship elements added to existing squadrons or when a squadron is built. It hurts my eyes to see that "110 guns ship of the line" added to a squadron with gorgeous names like Majestueux, Invincible, etc.. There are numerous sites that list the names of ships built during the era, at least for France this site for example gives you all the names straight away per category so we have names in store for the different element to be built, whether as complements to an existing squadron or for a new squadron. The first "first line squadron" built by the french for example should have just 80, 80 and 74 ship of the line names but "Le Robuste", "Le Diadème", "Le Regulus" for example.. Doesn't that sound SOOOOOOOOO much better ? Some names could be fictional so that the lists of elements name for repaires to exisiting squadrons and for new squadron don't overlap and lead to 2 ships with the same name. I and others would sure be willing to do the work if told how;

3/ Leader's losses in battle. I haven't had many big battles yet, but after battling the Austrians/Russians and the Prussians I feel I should have lost at least one leader in battle casualties. This could be toned up particularly because it is a lot less of a problem than in AACW and CW2 where lack of leaders and command issues were so much more critical : one lost divsional leader could just tip a stack from an optimal command structure to a mess with many CP penalties. but I find command points a lot more generous in WON and therefore division leader losses being a less of an issue, I wouldn't mind having lost 3/4 leaders in the first 2 years of the game.

Here are just a few chrome tidbits I'd be willing to work on if told how, so that devs can focus on the real stuff !

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Hello, If someone had some answers or guidance as to how I could do those changes, I would be most grateful !

Best regards.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:47 am

2. Ship elements added to existing squadrons or when a squadron is built.

I don't have a database or game files in front of me but I believe the models folder in game data contains individual model files. At the end of each model file is a list of names which are attached to models/elements as they are created. So you can change and add ship names in each model file.

PS: Names for elements at start of game are assigned manually when creating the initial scenario file.

3/ Leader's losses in battle.

Again, I don't have a database in front of me but also in the model files is a field for kill chance of leaders. So that percentage chance can be adjusted. But I can't say specifically which field until I have an opportunity to look at a database.

I would recommend reading through the modding forum for a lot of good modding information (http://www.ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?132-Modding-AGE-engine-games). There is also a modding wiki for Ageod games which is invaluable for modding (http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Category:Categories). Includes a list of script commands with explanations which is a must have for modding or creating events. Also whenever the WON database is released, it is so much easier to work with than the game files. But hard to say when it will be released to the public.

Your first point, I believe is hard coded and not moddable by us. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:06 am

Jagger2013 wrote:I don't have a database or game files in front of me but I believe the models folder in game data contains individual model files. At the end of each model file is a list of names which are attached to models/elements as they are created. So you can change and add ship names in each model file.

PS: Names for elements at start of game are assigned manually when creating the initial scenario file.

Again, I don't have a database in front of me but also in the model files is a field for kill chance of leaders. So that percentage chance can be adjusted. But I can't say specifically which field until I have an opportunity to look at a database.

I would recommend reading through the modding forum for a lot of good modding information (http://www.ageod-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?132-Modding-AGE-engine-games). There is also a modding wiki for Ageod games which is invaluable for modding (http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Category:Categories). Includes a list of script commands with explanations which is a must have for modding or creating events. Also whenever the WON database is released, it is so much easier to work with than the game files. But hard to say when it will be released to the public.

Your first point, I believe is hard coded and not moddable by us. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks. I thought I heard the first point was hardcoded, but it shouldn't be that hard to change though right ? I mean it's just not fun to see the name of the leader in a golden box.

Regarding the rest of your answers, i'll have a look.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”