gekkoguy82
Major

Element Question

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Question regarding elements. Always wondered about this but just figured I'd clarify. For infantry elements; when you see for example, "88e Ligne/1" and "88 Ligne/2", does that indicate that the element is a battalion? Like what we Americans might translate today as 1st Bn/2nd Bn, 88th Infantry (Line) Rgt? Not that it really matters, this is purely for my curiosity. Noticed it in a few other AGEOD games I've got too. I'd always figured that elements were of the regimental or battery sized variety, but sometimes it seems like the naming conventions vary a bit. I have only a basic knowledge of Napoleonic era tactics/organization, so bear with my ignorance :neener: Thanks!

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Yep, that's what it means.

What I would like to see is more "chrome" in that department : for many replacement elements you just get "line infantry" rather than a nice chrome name "88 line/1" or so.

arsan

Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Yes, they are battallions of the 88 ligne regiment.
Element size depends of the game scale. In WIA if i recall correctly units were batallion sized and elements represented a couple of companies or so.
In any case these are mostly flavour names. It doesn't pretend to exactly represent unit sizes or forces organization, as each country used different types of organiztion and game elements has to be more or less standard to work ok on combat and other game systems.

Regards!

gekkoguy82
Major

Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks guys, I figured as much. I do love the "flavor" names for units. Appreciate it! :)

AnonK2
Conscript

Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:45 pm

How to fix incorrect element names (spelling mistakes for instance)? How to implement more element names?

Playing Prussia new created units have elements with English names for example: Hussars - it would be much more flavor if the had real names like Mecklenburg Husaren or at least generic native names like 1. Garde Batterie, 2. Garde Batterie...

For me elements have a high immersion factor, because some have an iconic history or did survive battles.

Captain_Orso

Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:59 am

It depends on how the unit enters the scenario.

If the unit starts the scenario on the map, the element names are given by the scenario setup.

If the unit is generated through an event, the event determines the names of the elements.

If the unit is purchased by the player, the model database of that element type has a list of elements names. They are used on a first-come-first-serve basis, and they will be re-used if an element with such a name is destroyed. If the list of names is exhausted, a generic name will be given to the element.

AnonK2
Conscript

Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:11 am

Thx for the info Captain Orso.

Are you sure with the re-use? I disbanded all prussian units to test the re-use, but the new build units got generic English names.

How to add something to the list of element names? I would like to make an element mini-mod, especially for the German states.

Captain_Orso

Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Okay, I just looked at the model files. You are correct, the element names are not present.

Remember, you are responsible for any changes you make to game files.

You would have to add the "CustomNames = " statement to the faction specific model files to add element names, preferably to the very end of the file. Something like:

CustomNames = 1st Battalion|2nd Battalion|3rd Battalion|4th Battalion

There must be a '|' (pipe character) between each name.

Do this only for faction model, not the CMN models.

Then move the 'Models.Cached' file from the Models folder to a safe place and start the game. This will regenerate the 'Models.Cached' now with the CustomNames.

This could make the game use a lot more memory and might slow the operations of the game.

Only when you purchase a new unit will the CustomNames be referred to. Units with generic element names will not be affected.

Wild Boar
Corporal

Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:47 am

Hi all I volunteered to do this for ageod and right now have completed France, U.K., Bavaria, Brunswick and the Papal States. I am doing historically named regiments and ships on the following basis infantry are battalions cavalry regiments and artillery battery/company. I imagine down the line it will be patched in. I have all the information on all regiments of this era. Any one want to help message me. What I would love to see in game is the ability to record the battles an element fought in as then you could have regimental histories and also the capturing of another elements colors if it's destroyed. The immersion would be fantastic

AnonK2
Conscript

Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:01 am

Hello Wild Boar - awesome news! I will check Preussen and Sachsen elements - sending you my findings and proposals via pm.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”