basilhare
Lieutenant

How much of the campaign is scripted?

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Playing the full campaign as Austria. I have invaded Bavaria and am having a happy little war, carefully avoiding war with the French. Get to June 1805 and a scripted event has Austria join the 3rd coalition. I fully understand that this is historical, but I didn't want to be at war with France. So my question is this: How much freedom of action will I have playing the campaign? Will I be forced to join the historical coalitions at various times and/or be at forced peace at various times whether I want to or not?

I would understand if France declared war on me, but I would like to think that I can pick and choose when I want Austria to declare war or offer peace. Thanks.

Prussian Konig

Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:42 pm

basilhare wrote:Playing the full campaign as Austria. I have invaded Bavaria and am having a happy little war, carefully avoiding war with the French. Get to June 1805 and a scripted event has Austria join the 3rd coalition. I fully understand that this is historical, but I didn't want to be at war with France. So my question is this: How much freedom of action will I have playing the campaign? Will I be forced to join the historical coalitions at various times and/or be at forced peace at various times whether I want to or not?

I would understand if France declared war on me, but I would like to think that I can pick and choose when I want Austria to declare war or offer peace. Thanks.

Yeah would love the option to say no to joining the Third Coalition.
Beta Tester HOI 3, EUII. AACW2 & To End All Wars!

PhilThib

Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:17 am

Not planned for the moment. Because the same would be valid for Russia and others. We'll see to include that in a future patch

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:31 am

Prussian Konig wrote:Yeah would love the option to say no to joining the Third Coalition.

This should be a possibility but should entail considerable penalties "if you are not with us, you are with them" : GB, Russia, and others would see this very suspiciously, thinking that Austria is thinking of a great "partage" of Germany and Italy with France

To me yes there should be some flexibility in the GC to avoid it being too scripted, but at the same time, there should be some general tracks to avoid it turning into and EiA free for all extravaganza, ie Austria allies with Russia from the get go to dismantle Prussia, then allies with the Ottomans and the French to beat up Russia, than joins the "all agains the French coalition", etc etc...

basilhare
Lieutenant

Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:56 am

So I am going to take this to mean that the game is set up to "encourage" you to take historically accurate actions? Ie., don't expect a "Total War" experience? Thanks.

Palpat
Colonel

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:15 am

PhilThib wrote:Not planned for the moment. Because the same would be valid for Russia and others. We'll see to include that in a future patch

It should be in, as it would greatly increase replayability.
Choosing to play one's card and agenda is a fascinating possibility.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”