marek1978
Colonel

Size of the map

Fri May 01, 2015 1:14 pm

Is the map going to be RISE OF PRUSSIA density or rather End of all Wars?

I think ROP map was fantastic and gave proper operational dimension...

PhilThib

Fri May 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Take the old one from Napoleon and double the regions....almost 5000 now....lot of maneuver area

marek1978
Colonel

Fri May 01, 2015 2:59 pm

PhilThib wrote:Take the old one from Napoleon and double the regions....almost 5000 now....lot of maneuver area

Which make it around 1/2 of rise of prussia density?

PhilThib

Mon May 04, 2015 8:52 am

More or less...anyway, more than enough for a grand strategy game on the Napoleonic wars

marek1978
Colonel

Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 am

PhilThib wrote:More or less...anyway, more than enough for a grand strategy game on the Napoleonic wars

no doubt about You guys delivereing fantastic game, as all you products

i just loved scope of ROP so much and it fells great to have loads of regions

anyway good luck, you got my money already guarantied...

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 04, 2015 10:22 am

PhilThib wrote:More or less...anyway, more than enough for a grand strategy game on the Napoleonic wars

True, the operative word being "grand strategy". For the choice Ageod have made of a grand strategy game where campaigning is obviously central, but not the be all of the whole game, it makes sense. Of course my dream was of an operational game with ROP type size for provinces, and map that would have been more limited, even divided into several maps for different scenarios or DLCs :
- A main map going from Normandy/Paris/Lyon/Marseille to the Niemen (west-east) and from Danemark to the North to Rome /Belgrade in the south. By my estimate this would make it around 4000 provinces big, with off-map boxes for St Peterburg, Moscow, Malta, etc...
- A Peninsular Map going from Gibraltar to Bordeaux more or less 1000/1200 provinces.
- An Egypt/eastern mediterranean Map going from Cyrenaica to Bagdad and from Asyout to Sofia to play the Egypt expedition with off map boxes again for Malta, Ukraine and other Russian provinces, etc. That would be around 2500/3000 provinces (lots of work for a single campaign, but hey).

These would be the proper scales for an operational game, but as said by the Phils, in a grand strategy game, the scale chosen feels like a good compromise.
- A pen

marek1978
Colonel

Mon May 04, 2015 11:35 am

so you estimate that for the right ROP felling we should have about 8000 - 10000 regions while current project will offer 5000?

and how many regions does AJE and EAW offer?

veji1 wrote:True, the operative word being "grand strategy". For the choice Ageod have made of a grand strategy game where campaigning is obviously central, but not the be all of the whole game, it makes sense. Of course my dream was of an operational game with ROP type size for provinces, and map that would have been more limited, even divided into several maps for different scenarios or DLCs :
- A main map going from Normandy/Paris/Lyon/Marseille to the Niemen (west-east) and from Danemark to the North to Rome /Belgrade in the south. By my estimate this would make it around 4000 provinces big, with off-map boxes for St Peterburg, Moscow, Malta, etc...
- A Peninsular Map going from Gibraltar to Bordeaux more or less 1000/1200 provinces.
- An Egypt/eastern mediterranean Map going from Cyrenaica to Bagdad and from Asyout to Sofia to play the Egypt expedition with off map boxes again for Malta, Ukraine and other Russian provinces, etc. That would be around 2500/3000 provinces (lots of work for a single campaign, but hey).

These would be the proper scales for an operational game, but as said by the Phils, in a grand strategy game, the scale chosen feels like a good compromise.
- A pen

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Sun May 17, 2015 7:18 pm

EAW 3000 regions according to http://www.matrixgames.com/products/533/details/To.End.All.Wars

I think 5000 will do.

One must also consider that AGEOD must consider memory limits. There could be massive problems if graphics and game data exceeds several gigabytes in memory.

Also, I still remember a friend who got completely furious about RuS because "the map is simply too big".
He liked the game but was not willing to imprint several hundred Russian small towns in his memory. He simply couldn't take it and quit ;)

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”