debtmars
Civilian

Returning to Game, Stuck on Diplomacy

Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:49 pm

I bought his game several years ago and played for hundres of hours. I left it because I couldn't undrestand how to use diplomacy effectively to achieve the results needed as the French player. I just returned and have spent about 100 hours reviewing numerous posts and studying basic data I extracted from the in game pop screens, building game files, etc because I don't know how to access the computer data files nor how to read them. Needless to say, I need help!

Has anyone published any data or directions for building effective diplomatic relations with the various nations, both major and minor, playing as France? For example, which minor nations do I need to establish good relations with in order to create the Rhine Confederation and what is the best way to do that?

Chevalier Mal Fet
Civilian

Re: Returning to Game, Stuck on Diplomacy

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:10 am

It's not that difficult, really. I'm finishing up a grand campaign in 1815 as France, with most nations (including Austria!) allied with me.

Basically, my main targets are the minor European states. The great powers - Britain, Prussia, Austria, Russia, and Spain - will more or less always hate you, outside of scripted events. You can, with effort, keep them neutral, but it's mostly not worth the bother (only Russia seemed amenable, ever). Instead, focus on the little Italian and German princelings in-between - Bavaria, Baden, Tuscany, etc. Send state visits whenever you can, follow up with commercial agreements and supply exchanges nad so on. With patience, in a couple of years you'll ahve alliances with most of the minor states of Europe with no real effort needed beyond this.

Outside of Europe - the minor powers in, say, the Balkans, the Middle East, India, or the Americas - I didn't really bother. Didn't seem to get much return.

debtmars
Civilian

Re: Returning to Game, Stuck on Diplomacy

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:21 pm

Thanks very much for your suggestions. This is quite helpful!

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”