veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

The excess arty issue.

Thu May 26, 2016 9:16 am

Hello all,

the excess arty issue remains an irritant close to 6 months after the game got out. The issue is twofold :

1/ The AI builds way too much arty to begin with. There is an issue in the recruiting algorythm I think but really arty recruitment should be massively curtailed. Few things on that matter :
- Forbid AI countries to build Fortress and coastal batteries : there are many at the start and just like the devs got rid of the build fort special orders, they should just get rid of the fortres recruiting. One turn around would be a simple script that check for forts in the game and if you have a fortified city without fortress arty, one pops up for free (to replace the one originally destroyed I suppose). That's it, get those 2 artys completely out of the way.
- Make regular/horse arty building not a matter of "what is available in my treasure chest of WS, money and conscripts so I can build something, Oh it's arty or nothing, let's build arty then" but a matter of ratio : the AI should check for how many regular arty / light arty / horse arty it has and if the percentage is higher than 10% of all its combating elements (excluding wagons, depots, etc) then it just doesn't build arty and if it can't build anything else, it just waits to build... There might be other solutions, but you need to find something there.

2/ The memory leak / wandering arty / Spanish teleportation on Paris issue :
- There is still a flaw in the game where arty from major allies like Spain pops up in Paris. Now that the devs have forbidden minors from sending forces abroad (ah the days of Wurtemberg besieging Prag...) the issue only concerns Majors, but it is still very irritating to have 4 fortress batteries, 2 horse artys and one spanish garrison unit sitting in Paris in november 1806 !

Thanks for your work guys !

PhilThib

Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks, will investigate the matter.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 26, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks PhilThib.

Sirlion
Private

Fri May 27, 2016 10:56 am

Maybe not 100% relevant to the topic at hand but since I finally can play the game, I started a 1806 scenario to get a grasp of the controls and general gameplay. And ... there is russian artillery everywhere. Also prussian supplies and saxon cavalry (single units) wandering around aimlessly. Especially russian troops, they look like lost chickens. I have fought the same fleeing 800 men for MONTHS into this "campaign".

The attachment UTFRwrZ.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
UTFRwrZ.jpg

Kev_uk
Colonel

Fri May 27, 2016 11:16 am

I end up making peace with Russia because of this issue soon after Pressburg event. Clears the board a little bit.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 27, 2016 11:26 am

This is part of the "force concentration" issue, really the game should basically prevent the AI from breaking up its big corps and should strongly encourage units to pool together into bigger stacks. This game doesn't work like AACW where having cav units tearing up railways and militias preparing entrenchment means you need to have lots of independent stacks walking around. Here the "big stack of doom" rule applies to a bigger extent : AI stacks should really try to be as concentrated as possible.

Sirlion
Private

Fri May 27, 2016 11:48 am

Also it may be just me not getting the battle system to its full potential (I got to admit, its pretty sweet - even though I would like to see even more in-depth choices for the player) but, in the same 1806 campaign, several single units willingly engaged battle with me. I had combined two corps with an astonishing force of cavalry and artillery, and yet a force with Power 337 marches in and suicide attacks my 2400+ Power force... using Grand Battery tactics no less! 90 cannons vs 200! And I already destroyed Prussian national morale, they are bent on their knees crying for their mothers, Frederick Wilhelm is fleeing somewhere (I have destroyed his stack and he's nowhere to be seen anymore) and the message event pop up with Napoleon entering Berlin has appeared. So what now? Is it wack a mole time?
I suggest toning down AI's initiative, not only preventing them from divinding into smaller stacks.
Come on, its ridiculous. I abandoned the campaign because it became extremely boring.

Clerc
Private

Fri May 27, 2016 1:03 pm

Sirlion wrote: (...) Come on, its ridiculous. I abandoned the campaign because it became extremely boring.

Personnally i start and restart campaigns... just for the pleasure to polish strategically my next grand campaign.
This game will become a classic's one...

Kev_uk
Colonel

Fri May 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Clerc wrote:Personnally i start and restart campaigns... just for the pleasure to polish strategically my next grand campaign.
This game will become a classic's one...

I think it is the best Grand-Strategic Napoleonic game EVER!

Clerc
Private

Fri May 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Kev_uk wrote:I think it is the best Grand-Strategic Napoleonic game EVER!

I totally agree :)

Sirlion
Private

Fri May 27, 2016 11:14 pm

Apologists and addicted die-hard fan aside, I was giving suggestions to fix the game before it "could" become a classic, because I bought it in December and it started working last week. Kind of.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sat May 28, 2016 4:40 am

Sirlion wrote:Apologists and addicted die-hard fan aside, I was giving suggestions to fix the game before it "could" become a classic, because I bought it in December and it started working last week. Kind of.

I know you are pissed, you should try one of the old titles, you wont regret the practice when this is working better.
You can play Hannibal, Caesar, Gustavus Adolphus and Frederick the Great in the same engine, the conflicts differ in tactics and in some rules that capture the periods but the core principles are the same.

It is good to give suggestions, the game need patches and feedback from the players for those.
The potential of the game is just huge, especially for pbem players, the AI needs a lot of scripts to give a challenge in all similar scope games and most likely it needs a collection of them to be written.
Some say they dont have time for pbem, with this game playing solitary will eat up your time much more effectively, a one more turn nightmare.

Durk

Sat May 28, 2016 5:55 am

RebelYell, I so agree. This is a pbem game. If players are trying to play only against AI, this is not the best play. It is so exceptional as a pbem game. Find some of us who help create new pbem games and dive in and enjoy.

Sirlion
Private

Sat May 28, 2016 2:10 pm

When the game is fixed I'm more than willing to do multiplayer with other 6 people, even if it takes years, I'm committed to it. I'm not complaining because I have nothing better to do, but because I want it to be good. If anybody has a pbm game ongoing with newcomers, I may join.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Sirlion wrote:...
I suggest toning down AI's initiative, ....

you know you can do exactly this, very easily using the set up options. Its quite simple to make Athena more cautious, equally if you then find you've gone too far the other way you can swap it mid-game.
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sat May 28, 2016 2:30 pm

loki100 wrote:you know you can do exactly this, very easily using the set up options. Its quite simple to make Athena more cautious, equally if you then find you've gone too far the other way you can swap it mid-game.

I found it was good for the AI to give it low aggressiveness, not that I got even in to 1806 before pbem started but it seemed to fit better.
Now I dont even want to know every event that will come, I might be giving and edge to opponents but more fun playing it like this.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Sat May 28, 2016 2:43 pm

Sirlion wrote:When the game is fixed I'm more than willing to do multiplayer with other 6 people, even if it takes years, I'm committed to it. I'm not complaining because I have nothing better to do, but because I want it to be good. If anybody has a pbm game ongoing with newcomers, I may join.

You should find people from the PBEM subforum for your game, you can host if you want the fun experience with the battles, or let someone else do it.
PBEM requires a level of trust and agreement on the type of game you are seeking so just discuss it before you start.
Then you have potentially 6 other brains, most likely very smart, connected in your game and you will at times wish you would be fighting the AI.

Clerc
Private

Sat May 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Sirlion wrote: because I bought it in December and it started working last week. Kind of. (...) I'm not complaining because I have nothing better to do, but because I want it to be good (...)

I am a newcomer also. I am discovering also how to play AGEOD's Games since december, with WON. It's true i bought a game in progress ... but the truth is that i am a player in progress with AGEOD's engine and rules.
I learnt a much with WON and never finished a long campaign because of issues we all know and length of a grand campaign (500 turns). Recently i bought To End All Wars which seems more achieved, and i am happy to get just minor defeats with TEAW in my short solo's campaigns.
What i've learned with WON avoid me major's defeats :)

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun May 29, 2016 4:17 pm

veji1,
I bet you have the AI buying replacements for you turned off. I just discovered that bug and reported it myself. If you turn off the AI Buy replacements in either the game option menu or in the nation you're playing it turns it off for the AI too. That then forces the AI's to buy nothing but new units. I too hate that childish trick of buying arty units and having them march all over the map, just hands us a ton of free arty and is nothing but a nuisance and a major disappointment at how poorly the AI plays.

PhilThib

Mon May 30, 2016 7:55 am

In the next patch, the AI will be much much less of those fort batteries and coastal artillery.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 30, 2016 8:48 am

Omnius wrote:veji1,
I bet you have the AI buying replacements for you turned off. I just discovered that bug and reported it myself. If you turn off the AI Buy replacements in either the game option menu or in the nation you're playing it turns it off for the AI too. That then forces the AI's to buy nothing but new units. I too hate that childish trick of buying arty units and having them march all over the map, just hands us a ton of free arty and is nothing but a nuisance and a major disappointment at how poorly the AI plays.

Wow, if this is indeed a bug you discovered this is great ! thanks Omnius.

Pocus

Tue May 31, 2016 10:01 am

About artilleries, the issue is that they gather in the capital of allies etc. or the issue is that they continue wandering alone?

A save would be best for the 2nd issue.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 31, 2016 10:59 am

Pocus wrote:About artilleries, the issue is that they gather in the capital of allies etc. or the issue is that they continue wandering alone?

A save would be best for the 2nd issue.

Hi Pocus, several issues for me :
- Only spanish arty gathers in Paris now, I think it might be due to the fact that "majors" aren't restricted from moving outside their national territories ? I only see it with Spain but it's a bit silly.
- I have seen considerably less wandering arties by themselves and when it happens it tends now to be after quite a few battles when AI units are scattered and distraught. It looks more like a bad force concentration issue than an active wandering arty issue, I have also seen some english arty travelling through Spain after peace between Britain and Spain.
- The main remaining issue to me now regarding arty is excess production : Way too much arty of all types, Fortress and coastal arty should be easy to solve, just nix them from the buildable units. I mean we can't build fort anymore, so these are arties that are in forts anyway, make them available at start and maybe set up events to give forts arty automaticallly, but just make them not buildable. Second for horse arty and regular arty, and AI better prioritizing builds including chosing NOT building anything rather than building arty would be good. I have the feeling it might now check first for Inf or Cav but in case it doesn't have enough conscripts or horses, it ends up buying arty anyway even thought it's the least prefered unit.

Return to “Wars of Napoleon”