seathom
Colonel

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:59 am

I have been having the same problem you are with the same-sized megastacks. It takes time to encircle those stacks because you just can't ride cavalry around it to cut off supply - that process is a long slog. What I have been doing is looking for the weak spots away from those stacks that will give me a benefit to that real estate, attack there and then the Triple Entente will scuttle that megastack to a different location - the AI usually reacts to my moves but only occasionally attacks. After the AI moves troops around, there is usually another weak spot in their line and I repeat the attack in a poorly defended area that benefits me.

I think the advantage you have over me is that you have been able to inflict a lot more NM damage to the EE due to war plan choices. In April 1915, the NM is 108 CP; 84 WE and 91 EE. It looks like I'll be fighting Russia much longer than you and in the long run that will hurt me. If only I can knock out France! I'm at Douai (ne of Paris), but it will take some good maneuvering to put the hurt on the WE before I can hopefully go for the kill and Italy is at, I believe, 82 support for WE, so that will probably throw a major monkey wrench into my plans as AH is in no way able to stop Italy right now. I guess that is why the CP lost the war - not an easy road to hoe!

HunterICX
Corporal

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:40 pm

[CENTER]Autumn-Winter 1915
Breakthrough

Having succesfully pulled back the German units heading East to regroup and then concentrate on taking on the smaller Russian forces scattered all over the place in Poland and around Warsaw who had fallen to von Hausen's 3. Armee at the end of the summer. These pockets of Russian forces where excellent in disrupting and holding off the Germand and Austrian forces in gaining full control of the area. Also heading East wouldn't be manageable with the forces at hand as most where stuck in the West holding of the French and British large offensives. Another blow was delt to the Russian at the Baltic Sea as von Scheer managed intercept the Russian Baltic fleet and win a few engagements over the month of December in which he kept on hunting them.

Autumn saw pretty much the same ordeal in the Western Front, the Allied forces attack and it got repelled by the Germans with casualties mounting high on both sides but higher on that of the attacker. This however came to an abrupt end as suddently by using their complete weight of their accumulated manpower they managed to break through in Saar and Saarbruecken in the same month. The 5. Armee and 8. Armee retreated North to Trier whilst the 4. Armee, 9. Armee and 10. Armee pulled back to Mainz. This is a crisis, if they keep this up they'll be having nothing but the open road toward Berlin. The Kaiser has allowed the German navy to conduct unrestricted Uboat Warfare this will damage the German diplomatic relations with the United States of America but if the Allied forces especially Britian where allowed to keep on bringing more resources from their colonies and domains all over the globe this will spell the end for Germany and their allies in this war.

Breakthrough at Saarbruecken

Breakthrough at Saar

The War enters 1916 and it isn't looking good for the Germans in the West, a miracle is needed that'll release the men stuck in the East to be send west to match the British and French in numbers.

[/CENTER]

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:28 am

Hang in there. Miracle's do happen! Hopefully your subs will start taking good effect on your enemies.

HunterICX
Corporal

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:25 pm

[CENTER]1916
Collapse

January 1916 started with Karl von Bülow preparing to assault the city of Bielostok, he had brought his heavy guns to silence the fortified positions and enemy guns and instructed his officers of his plan of attack and waited till the weather was milder for the troops to avoid unnecessary casualties. The assault began at the end of the month opening with barrage that lasted a few hours and the men attacked. Many of the defenses where shattered but the Russians who survived the barrage put up a stiff resistance and the battle raged on for the remainder of the day well into the next day. It ended up becomming a massacre as the Russians didn't surrender in mass and fought on till the very end resulting in the loss of all men they had defending Bielostok as only a few threw down their arms or where wounded to resist capture.

Little did the Germans know right away of the effect this had as the Tsar who took over command of the Russian Imperial army last year was held responsible for the developments at the front, he had taken personally taken command of the defense of Bielostok and promised to relief them and get them out of the tight spot they where in. Now he had to answer for the loss of 15.000 men and this was the last straw as the Russian morale collapsed and Nikolai was overthrown as commander of the Russian Imperial Army and put under house arrest in Petrograd whilst the news spread throughout the Empire where the voices could be heard screaming ''Down with the Romanovs, Down with the Tsar!'' The Germans learning of the growing discontent and decided to make sure this wouldn't be quelled as now is the time to focus and strike decisively at the Russians to make sure they're beyond to the point of no return and their Empire collapses both military as politically. Otto von Below managed to wipe out a whole Russian division who he and his fellow commanders managed to seperate from the rest in an encircling move. von Kluck's army assaulted the Fort of Brest-Litovsk and captured it.

The Austrian-Hungarians joined in on this and decided to strike at the Russians and it's ally Serbia for whom the Russia went to war wherever they could even attempting an assault on the Serbian capital Belgrade which failed as the Serbians managed to retake their positions when the Austrian-Hungarian attack lost their momentum. von Böhm-Ermolli was succesful in dislodging the Russian forces under Nikolai Ruzski from Fort Zamosc which they recaptured at the end of last year.

[/CENTER]

HunterICX
Corporal

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Field Marshal Hotzendorf wrote:Hang in there. Miracle's do happen! Hopefully your subs will start taking good effect on your enemies.

:D It seems they do happen

After that Battle of Bielostok against the Tsar who was in command of that army they NM of the Russians went down by 60 :blink:

seathom
Colonel

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:46 pm

Everything is looking great on the Eastern Front. Ironically, I'm also on February 1916 and had an attack on Bielostock and took it (no Czar) and a simultaneous attack on Warsaw (took it, beating the Czar). Unfortunately for me, there was no 60 point drop in EE NM. My NM currently stands at CP 121, WE 69, [B]EE 75[/B]. Our casualties are shockingly almost exact with the exception that I've lost about 160,000 more men than you. Combat power is surprisingly WE 73/175 and EE 33/13. I wonder how badly the Czar needs to lose to have that 60 point drop and if current NM needs to be below 75 or 70 for that effect? Currently, neither WE or EE are fighting very well, probably due to NM differences. Western Front picking up steam as 1916 was much quieter than expected and I have just took Arras in my bid to cut off rail supply to Paris. The WE have only one big stack right now that floats around Toul (2700 PWR, give or take).

I've cut back on my sub activity in Atlantic Blockade Box and US is about 49% CP alignment. Have you used Zeppellin's; I haven't.

Keep up the great work and glad you'll be able to concentrate on WE very soon.

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:46 am

Any updates? :)

HunterICX
Corporal

Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:00 am

Field Marshal Hotzendorf wrote:Any updates? :)

Yup.
Have been busy at work, however I managed played a few turns and am trying to conclude something in the Eastern Front before putting it on a report hopefully will get around it soon. :)

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Awesome! Thank you.

seathom
Colonel

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:20 am

Can't wait to see what happens with the EE and their 3 NM!

HunterICX
Corporal

Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:02 pm

[CENTER]1916
Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen

'Reichsland Elsaß-Lothringen' was it called once by the German People but Soldiers on both sides have given it the same name now 'Hell'. Mud, rotting flesh and the bones of the men who fought in this desolated wasteland is all what's there to see. Yet both sides are not planning to give it all up and this terrain will see many more men becomming part of the sight of this part of Germany turned into a wasteland.

Situation March 1916

When they broke through in December their offensive stalled in early 1916, seems they ran out of breath sooner the Allied Generals expected and planned for. This suprised the Germans but it didn't calm the great man himself von Hindenburg, he knew they would repeat what happened in the Winter of 1915 and he and his men need to prevent that. He knew after photos came back from the brave men in their flying machines that there was a large build up around Lorraine and he decided to concentrate most of his resources for the defenses in the area to stop the Allied forces taking a gamble if the French and British would attack a different area. 1st of May began with the roar of the French guns and indeed their objective was Lorraine, however this time their waves of men broke up against the formidable defenses of the Germans. The Machine guns overheated, the men where near breaking point but their officers kept them where they needed to be telling them that their people and the kaiser himself are counting on you this day and those to come.
It finally ended after 3 days of nothing but slaughter, it resulted in a great victory for the Germans but it also raised a lot of questions as to how long the Allied forces could keep this up bearing such a large number of casualties and how long would it take before their soldiers had enough of these pointless attacks?

Battle of Lorraine

It wasn't untill late June the French attacked again but it was a smaller yet succesful attack as they managed to enter Muelhausen and drive off the German defending forces under Alexander Fiedrich. von Heeringen tried an counter attack in early July but didn't succeed to drive them back into France.

Battle of Muelhausen

Bitche also saw a clash later in July, von Hindenburg managed to drive them out and push them closer to the frontier.

The situation clearly had improved since the start of 1916, after the bloodbath of Lorraine the French retreated with the Germans on their heels but didn't go over to the offensive as Hindenburg knew it would run out of steam before it even begins as he needs more men and those men are to come from the East.

Situation August 1916

[/CENTER]

seathom
Colonel

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Glad to see the WE more on their heels, but with very strong numbers in the south still. How is your army strength holding up against the WE? They do seem to have the upper hand in buying more units during '16. My PWR strength comparison went from 73 to 85 in like a month! I had just started building tanks and had brought it down a bit to 78, but with the EE, they still outnumber me 110/189! I hope you are planning another post soon on the Eastern Front, I'm still wondering how the Russians are doing with their 3 NM! Although, I assume that if you don't get a big win or two immediately, war resiliency will kick in big time. I haven't been able to replicate your hospitalization of the Czar yet (in June '16) but still have him in the cross-hairs.

Looking forward to MORE! Good luck.

P.S. My calculations are the Americans (and Romanians) will be entering the fray around November; how are you faring against them?

Sir Garnet

Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:25 am

The way your war started off, both the Russian plan to relieve pressure on France and draw troops to the east and the German plan to hammer the Russians were successful, after a fashion. German forces involved in your eastern battles were fairly consistently greater than Russian numbers. Did you have substantial numerical superiority or are these numbers involved primarily the result of closer coordination among German columns and more marching to the sound of the guns?

HunterICX
Corporal

Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:26 am

seathom wrote:Glad to see the WE more on their heels, but with very strong numbers in the south still. How is your army strength holding up against the WE? They do seem to have the upper hand in buying more units during '16. My PWR strength comparison went from 73 to 85 in like a month! I had just started building tanks and had brought it down a bit to 78, but with the EE, they still outnumber me 110/189!

Calculated Army Strenght versus the WE it's equally matched (WE) 100:100 (CP) the WE sometimes drops to a 90 after a huge loss of men like that battle of Lorraine but they quickly recover. Whilst I've managed to contain them in the Rheinland area I'm in no shape to go on the offensive as defense is still king and in most cases I'm outnumbered in almost twice the number of men. I'm already moving the excesive units from the Eastern Front to the Western Front so hopefully if it'll drag on into 1917 I plan a mayor offensive of my own with the use of Storm Troopers I'd hope become available soon.

I hope you are planning another post soon on the Eastern Front, I'm still wondering how the Russians are doing with their 3 NM! Although, I assume that if you don't get a big win or two immediately, war resiliency will kick in big time. I haven't been able to replicate your hospitalization of the Czar yet (in June '16) but still have him in the cross-hairs.

They seem to get something to recover their NM per turn or something as they've been back up to 15nm and after a series of losses, disband&surrenders and the loss of Belgrade for the Serbians they've droped again down to 10. Their army did fall into a trap and that'll be shown in my next report I'd hope to write later today or tomorrow.

Looking forward to MORE! Good luck.

P.S. My calculations are the Americans (and Romanians) will be entering the fray around November; how are you faring against them?

Thanks,

As for the Romanians as you can read I've devoted my Bulgarian forces to deal with those and have captured their capital pretty quick and 1 or 2 Austrian-Hungarian corps units to contain them from the North. the US however started to favor the WE a lot after dealing heavy blows to their merchant shipping and ofcourse the Lusitania so I've stopped the unrestricted uboat warfare for now untill I know the scope of my situation in 1917 and devoted a Diplomat to stall their pro-entente sentiment once more.

Sir Garnet wrote:The way your war started off, both the Russian plan to relieve pressure on France and draw troops to the east and the German plan to hammer the Russians were successful, after a fashion. German forces involved in your eastern battles were fairly consistently greater than Russian numbers. Did you have substantial numerical superiority or are these numbers involved primarily the result of closer coordination among German columns and more marching to the sound of the guns?

I brought the main armies that where in the East (von Kluck's, Bülow's and Hindenburg's) up to Strenght their command points would allow but they where also accompanied by Corps units that where in provinces nearby who could march to the sound of guns to support the attack or help the defense. Didn't had much of a choise after the Western Offensive at the start of the 1915 to be more coordinated and concentrated my attacks in the East to avoid stretching my forces too thin.

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:34 am

The French and British suffered huge loses! Hopefully after you are able to transfer large forces from the East to the West you will be able to crush the forces that remain. I wonder how much The United States will contribute to the war? Very interesting.

HunterICX
Corporal

Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:26 pm

[CENTER]1916
Belgrade falls, Russia in a pocket.

Leaning over the map the German generals and their Austrian counterpart couldn't believe according to some rough calculations the amount of Russian that could be trapped in this pocket.

Since the Russians are still determined to continue the war in the sorry state they are in it was important to make the pocket smaller and doing so by hitting them hard and very hard. The first to do so was the very capable Austrian von Böhm-Ermolli he was busy clearing the Zamosc forts defended by Ruzski

Hitting them hard was easier said as in some cases the Russians with more capable commanders like Mrozovsky managed to put up a stiff resistence in which a numerical superiority counted for little. On the other hand you had von Kluck who made short work out of the Russians under Aleksei Evert in Wlodawa and von Böhm-Ermolli who was doing exceptionally well and he even ran into a familiar face the Russian commander Samsonov who again showed what he isn't and that's a military commander.

There was also the Austrian commander von Krasnik who after his victory in Busk got a telegram from Vienna to move his army to Belgrade.

In August things where looking good, what hadn't surrendered or seized to excists hid in forts like that of Ivangorod or cities likes Lublin placed that haunted the Austrians a year earlier but this time the Austrians vouched it'll haunt the Russians.

Belgrade

Since march Potiorek was attempting to take the city and it's forts by force but was unsuccessful and costed a great deal of his men. This frustrated Vienna and they send Krasnik fresh from his succeses in the North down to Belgrade to replace Potiorek. He started his assault on the city from mid July, the fighting continued till the early days of August and after he silenced the citadel's guns the defenders gave up and Krasnik declared the city captured in the name of the Empire.

Bucharest

Before the fall of Belgrade it where the bulgarians who captured themselves a Capital from the enemy, they did so quickly and made short work of the defenses. The Bulgarian campaign seems a succes after a swift capture of 2 of the 3 established objectives.

[/align]

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:34 am

Great job capturing Bucharest so quickly. I think by doing this you have cut the head off the snake of Romania. Also by taking their major port they will be hurting bad. Good stuff!

Sir Garnet

Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:05 am

Your Podlasian pocket realizes the nightmare of pre-war Russian planners as to what could happen to the Polish salient if the salient's baseline became insecure. OK if I link to that post in my guide as a practical illustration of the risk?

- - - - -

The US planned to raise and send 80 Texas-size* divisions to France (approaching 3 million men, and had 4 million serving by the end of the war) "Over There", a flood that the Central Powers must CP must pre-empt by a quick victory.

*US slang for extra-large, or over-large. US divisions were structured to be twice as large as the British, French, and German establishments.

HunterICX
Corporal

Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:57 am

Sir Garnet wrote:OK if I link to that post in my guide as a practical illustration of the risk?

Sure, go ahead :)

HunterICX
Corporal

Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:56 pm

[CENTER]1916
Revolution

With the fall of Serbia and the constant pounding by the Germans finally started to bear fruit as reports flew in that Russia collapsed and spiraled down into a full blown revolution, the people had enough of the harships of war brought upon them by the Tsar promising Serbia support, food shortages followed by a large scale starvation even in their largest cities. No longer would the Russian people take it, down with the Imperial rule and down with the war where the demands of the people. The Governement of Russia saw no other option then to start negotiations with the German Empire and thus they began whilst the pounding on the Eastern front continued to assure that they'll give into any demands put down by the Germans diplomats for the cease fire. They quickly gave in and signed the treaty of Brest-Litovsk which also ment the end of Romania's contribution to the war.

West!

This was what the German High Command was waiting for, being able to send all available units toward the West to give beat the French and British forces. The Austrian-Hungarian Forces did the same but their goal was to attack the other ally of the Western Entente, Italy.

Whilst the reorganization of the German Army to strike at the French and British would take some considerable amount of time and wouldn't be able to attack untill late Spring the Austrian Hungarians however immediatley established a firm foothold in North East Italy by January as the weather in Winter 1916 had been fair.

Breaking through.

In January the French and British striked in Lorraine under Maurice Sarrail, a costly mistake as the by now the Germans had twice the numbers with the addition of the Veterans from the Eastern Front who just arrived.

In early March the Germans launched their first attack to recapture Thionville which has been under French control for nearly two years, whil still holding superior numbers the French and British more seems shaken by the loss of their Eastern Ally Russia. The didn't put up a determent fight and their losses where high as their retreat was a chaos in which they where cut of and mowed down by the Germans who adapted some new tactics in Trench warfare. A large number of them still resided inside the Forts but would soon be delt with.

Everything but Metz was back in Germand hands, however Metz wouldn't be the point where the breakthrough into France would take place as Hindenburg knew it would cost a great deal of men and with finding replacements for the losses becomming harder he decided to go around it from the South towards Nancy and then making a advance towards Parish by the end of Autumn before Winter sets in.

Even when the advance towards Nancy was about to begin and reports flew in that the French and British pulled out of Metz heading North towards Briey which borders Thionville leaving just a small force in Metz Hindenburg sticked to the plan and had the German army move out. This was unexpected but brought a great oppertunity as this ment there was little in the way of reinforcements that could be brought in quickly to help out Nancy.
Nivelle who was in Val du Moselle was quickly swept aside opening the road towards Nancy, once arrived in Nancy Max von Gallwitz attacking the defending forces under Lanzerac and managed to establish a foothold in the province.

In June Nancy saw a month long struggle to regain control of the Area by the French but it turned out to be a Military disaster for the French and British forces as they kept being bested by the German Army whos Morale kept going up by the gains and victories they obtained.

Now von Hindenburg felt confident that Metz could be retaken and ordered the Crownprince and his army to attack and retake the Area and deal with the forts with caution as they are still formidable obstacles when properly defended.

To make matters worse for the French, Von Bülow's army who required rail to move his big guns managed to advance from Belford all the way to Langres.

Despite this successful offensive the French and British didn't open up for negotiations as the Germans where very confident it was just a matter of time before they reach Paris and if they won't surrender before then it'll be raised to the ground. [/CENTER]

HunterICX
Corporal

Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:33 pm

[CENTER]1917
Italy

Late in April von Böhm-Ermolli launched the offensive by attacking Treviso defeating the Portuguese Commander Correia Barreto who lost around 66.000 men in the fight, von Krasnik who attacked in Vicenza in early May added another 63.000 to that list of casualties. Later in May von Krauss captured Verona and von Böhm-Ermolli ran into Barreto again, this time in Padova.

It was more then the Italians could handle and it was obvious that they're poorly led, poorly armed and it made the Austrian-Hungarians and Germans wonder why they joined the war on the side of the enemy as by the end of November 1917 after mopping up the resisting Italian and Portuguese Forces the road was wide open to advance towards Rome.

However winter and the overstretching of the supply lines caused it to halt and thus decided was to secure and stockpile supplies on the recently captured railhubs like that of Ravenna and Firenze before advancing onto the Capital. [/CENTER]

HunterICX
Corporal

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:17 pm

[CENTER]1918
The End

Autumn to Winter saw the forts of Nancy secured, Metz and Thionville's forts recaptured and the German armies ready to advance to Paris. Retrained German Soldiers in the army of Max von Gallwitz formed the first official Storm Trooper brigades who are experts in breaking through tough enemy defences and creating havoc once they're through shown at their first obstacle, the Fortifications of Toul.

While not securing all the forts of Toul, there was no time to waste and Hindenburg ordered his armies to go forth whilst von Kluck would stay in Toul and deal with the Forts helped by the Crown Prince.

Apart from a bit of resistance in Bar-Le-Duc by Cesar Pau nothing stood in the way of the Germans to advance towards Paris, slowed down by the heavy guns of Bülow's 2. Armee they reached the Capital at the end of May.

After a heavy bombardment the defences where breached and it was time to take Paris in the name of the Fatherland. While at the same time in Italy von Böhm-Ermolli was a province away from Rome.
Otto von Below received to honor of leading the attack on the capital, his army with Storm Troopers brigades made short work and quickly secured the defences, silenced the enemy guns and thus Paris fell into the hands of Germans at the end of June the 1st 1918 bringing an end to the great war and the whole of the German Empire rejoiced at this glorious victory in the name of the Kaiser und Vaterland.

---

This concludes the AAR, I hope you enjoyed it :)

[/CENTER]

seathom
Colonel

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:51 am

Thanks for the AAR, it was very enjoyable! Was there anything in particular that you learned during the game that the next time you play you would do differently?

HunterICX
Corporal

Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:02 am

Being less neglectful of my Armies and Frontiers for starters, as noticed in the beginning of 1915 when the WE massively attacked Metz and Thionville and managed to hold bits of the Rheinland contesting for it for over 2 years. Was I aware of the build up? I did notice it nearing the end of 1914, but I held to much faith in the fortifications thus didn't bother to reinforce the corps units and armies located there.

As for Armies, checking the state of their elements and rotating units from the front to a nearby depot when they start taking a large amount of hits to avoid a loss of a whole element as it happened with some corps commanders who suddently where depleted of their elements because I had neglected them while they where constantly in a fight.

Return to “EAW AARs”