Jinx
Captain

Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:59 am

Well boys, who ever still cheers for us, after pondering over my turn all day, I finally sent it it. Hopefully we can relieve our armies in Aachen, but...not sure if it will be possible.
I definitely sent one army into the town, as for the other...I could have sworn I didn't, and now they are trapped. Either ways, we will see what happens next turn.
"Mon centre céde, ma droite recule, situation excellente, j’attaque."
~ Ferdinand Foch, in the defensive actions to prevent a German breakthrough in 1914.

JodelDiplom
Conscript

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi there! I just registered here so I could let you know I thoroughly enjoy reading your AAR as well as the Kaiser Report :) Please continue keeping me (and the other lurkers) updated, we enjoy it a lot!

Jinx
Captain

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:13 am

JodelDiplom wrote:Hi there! I just registered here so I could let you know I thoroughly enjoy reading your AAR as well as the Kaiser Report :) Please continue keeping me (and the other lurkers) updated, we enjoy it a lot!

Thank you sir! I'm glad someone enjoys my ramblings. Thanks for posting!
~ Ferdinand Foch, in the defensive actions to prevent a German breakthrough in 1914.

Jinx
Captain

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:46 am

T9 Diplomacy.png

The War Report, Late November, 1914. Turn 9.

Greetings Gentlemen.

As much as I dislike talking about the debacle in Aachen, I owe it to any readers to be honest and give equal coverage of my shameful defeats as well as my mediocre victories.
I will state one thing in my defense though: I set one army to retreat inside the town, the other was told to stay in the territory. If I accidentally sent them both there, or by glitch in the system, or by the retreat of the second army into the town, they are both there by my design but not by my intent.

The two armies in Aachen continue to slowly run out of supply, they will probably last for one or two more turns. We suffered a defeat there, but took some Germans with us.

T9 Diplomacy.png

I am moving Ruffey's Armee North in case we see an opportunity to dash in and relieve our troops. But with winter coming on I think that may be doubtful. Commander Foch was told to stay and support any move Ruffey's Armee may see to do.

We won a minor victory in Africa, which becomes a bright spot in this war for us.

T9 Diplomacy.png

The Boer Rebellion still persists, so we cannot spare to many troops from South Africa, but once the rebellion is stamped out, we will have a few more troops to gradually help taking away the German colonies in Africa.

On the Diplomatic Front.

Portugal sits at 98% WE and should join early next year. Italy is progressing nicely into the Entente and sits at 58%. Romania and Bulgaria both have strong leanings towards the Central Powers.
I was under the impression Romania would drift into our sphere! But we seem to be loosing them. Unless this is set off by event....hmmm.
As for Holland and Belgium, I think I should move those diplomats to more fruitful ground. Possibly Sweden or Norway just to get an edge over the Central Powers.

T9 Diplomacy.png

On the Sea.

We win a small victory against some Austrian shipping in the Mediterranean. The British are still forming on Malta, although, I will rethink their invasion sites as the Ottoman Empire will be joining the war soon.
I hope also to receive any screenshots available of the Austrian Coastal regions near the Serbian border from PJL as intelligence to help base my attack plans.

This concludes the War Report, late November, 1914. Turn 9.
Attachments
T9 Newspaper.jpg
T9 Battle of Windhoek.png
T9 Battle of Aachen.jpg

Jinx
Captain

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:34 am

The War Report, Early December, 1914. Turn 10.

Greetings Gentlemen.

Death and Devastation in Aachen. The Verdun of Germany.

T10 Battle of Aachen.jpg

T10 Battle of Aachen.jpg

T10 Battle of Aachen.jpg

French Infantry Casualties: 121,667.............................German Infantry Casualties: 71,801.

French Cavalry Casualties: 455...................................German Cavalry Casualties: 32.

French Artillery Casualties: 85....................................German Artillery Casualties: 6.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total French Casualties: 122,202. Total French Casualties: 71,839.

Germans suffered only 58% of the total French casualties.

I have little to say on this. I have no great plan to break them out. If I get an opportunity I will try to get them out. But I cannot think of any way I can do so without facing off against the entire might of the German Western Front forces in entrenched positions.
I have an army sitting in Eifel with General Foch's Corp also waiting and ready in case an opportunity comes to break out my Armies from Aachen. But at this point I think I have accepted that those armies will be lost and may need to turn my attentions elsewhere. I need to start learning about what happens to the generals when an army is defeated, what happens if I detach my generals and try to break them out, what happens if I shatter the whole army into little divisions and try breaking them out by evading combat. I may need to run some test games.

We won another little victory in Africa. I believe by February, if the right Generals get activated, Windhoek will be ours.

T10 Battle of Aachen.jpg

On the Sea.

I'm lining up troop ships and some small divisions scraped from Africa to invade the rest of the German colonies in Africa. Also, thinking about it now. I should land some Japanese troops on Bismark Inslen in the Asian theater while I wait for Tsing-Tau to fall. The Germans are using it as a resupply depot for their German Asian Navy.

As for the rest of it. General Kitchener lands in Malta next turn, and I should have enough of a fleet to make a landing on enemy soil and then simultaneously defend against an Austrian or Ottoman Navy counterattack.

On the Economic Front.

We received at least a dozen new divisions of infantry which we sent over to Trier to be part of a couple new armies we are forming. On top of that, we received another dozen divisions of Militia, with which we sent over to strengthen parts of the Alsace-Lorraine Front.

We ordered as much artillery France had space to build, and a couple divisions of French Reserve troops.

This concludes the War Report, Early December, 1914. Turn 10.
Attachments
T10 Battle of Windhoek.png
T10 3rd Battle of Aachen.jpg
T10 2nd Battle of Aachen.jpg

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:04 am

Well all you can do is keep plugging away.

For the WE it is more about the blockade and holding than really winning huge battles.

PJL
Lieutenant

Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:34 am

Sorry I haven't been able to continue my reports. It's just that I had to do a lot, plus constantly getting pushed back, so I felt demoralised about writing it up as well.

Basically, most of the fighting have been against the Germans in Poland, with the forces in Warsaw and Beilotsk almost destroyed, though I managed to collate both forces into one before retreating them back toward Brest Litovsk. Talking of which, the Beliotsk - Brest Litovsk railway line has been the subject of several fierce battles as I sent another army there to stop the Germans, culminating in a big battle at Brest-Litovsk a turn or so ago which decimated both armies. Similarly, the Austrian have taken Ivangorod in order to close the bulge from the southern end (again some fierce battles there). Both really had to be held in order to prevent a complete encirclement of the main army in Poland.

Meanwhile there have been some attacks and counterattacks against the Austrians, trying to find any weak points in their lines, though for the most part the line is fairly stable.

However, the escape of the stranded armies in Poland have now been completed, and I am now busy repairing units and building up forces. Despite the battles and losses, I've managed to keep NM stable (it even rose in one turn), and it's currently at 93, which isn't bad considering what's happened.
Nico - Icon

'From without a thousand cycles
A thousand cycles to come
A thousand times to win
A thousand ways to run the world'
- Nico, 'Frozen Warnings'

Jinx
Captain

Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:00 am

Jinx wrote:Dear sirs.

I hope this email finds you well.

I just finished a +16 hour work shift and running on 3 hours of sleep I got last night.

Add to that I'm feeling pretty depressed overall with the way the war is going. So I don't feel up to doing my turn tonight.

I am generally a good player, at least I thought I was.
But the pace of this game plus the the AAR mixed with trying to have a life only allows for about an hour or less for every turn. Plus my exhaustion when I do my turn doesn't help. So I miss things. A bunch of things. I sent both armies into the city unintentionally, resulting in that nice depressing death trap.

It's a shame because I really like this game, and I think you both are good players and I'm not doing the justice it deserves.

I'm not quitting or anything, or at least I don't want to quit.

But I am sad that I've botched up this game to this extent. Even though I think we can still win, it's been a painful string of mostly defeats for me.

I'm not sure exactly the purpose of this email. One could call it a miserable defense of my intellect and skill, as I seem to be faced with those that think I'm an inexperienced newbie who doesn't know a thing about the game.
To an extent its true.

I am an inexperienced newbie when it comes to played anything but the CP, and I've played them in two games with a Moltke against the AI, which is nothing compared to a PBEM.
And their armies are a lot more powerful at the start then anyone else's.

You both have had more experience than me in PBEM, and with your respective sides. Also, I'd imagine you both have more time then me.

As an example, this weeks work schedule has bagged me 60 hours of work in 4 working days and I now have caffeine instead of blood.

So please don't judge me too harshly for my idiotic blunders, and please don't degrade me too much to our fellow forumites, and please don't treat me too much like a newbie.

Advice is welcome, tips as well, but once at least it has been very costly to me. Again, I like advice and I learn all the time, and will accept any advice because I will always learn something new.

My apologies if I have offended anyone. Really, I do not mean this to be an aggressive email, but a very passive, sleepy, sad email sitting at the kitchen table, in front of some nice stew, while a blizzard piles up snow on the windowsill.

Paul, If you would like to switch me out with another player, by all means you can, I'm sure they would be more challenging and would leave less openings then I would. You guys could go on to fight a better war then I probably could.

Again, I'm not quitting or anything, unless Paul, you feel I should, and I would understand.

But anyways, for now, I need to sleep, sorry again.

Cheers

Copy paste from email.

JodelDiplom
Conscript

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:01 am

93 NM for the EE is way better than what the EE has in that Paradox forum game (they really got trounced badly), so I think you're good :)

Any news from the front is appreciated! Even if it's all "strategic front reshapings" or "reverse offensives". Like those Wehrmacht newsreels from 1943-1944 :D

In what shape are your Russian armies? Do you think it's possible that they will take the offensive against the Turks, or the Germans, in 1915?

Jinx
Captain

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Greetings,

As a few people may already know; I suffered a grave defeat in the British landings in Cattaro. Well, it was stated as a victory but I gained zero Military Control. As I understand it, the Central Powers railed in an army on the very turn I landed and therefore it has formed into another potential debacle like Aachen.

My British Army is essentially gone, it can not re-board my transports because first I need at least 5% Military Control, which means I need to fight a battle first, which will use up one turn, and I would load on the second turn, if I won the battle. The second point would be that I cannot afford to keep my fleet waiting in the minefield for the two turns required. Because every turn I take damage and loose cohesion, and by next turn, the Austrians will have parity of forces with my fleet, leaving aside the fact that an Austrian-Ottoman fleet outnumber me now if they had an opportunity to combine forces.

My initial plan to land troops in Cattaro meant storming the fort to gain the necessary military control, building depot, a secondary objective being capturing the nearby towns. Supplied by the harbor and through the sea, with a strong British and French Navy in the Mediterranean to eliminate any Austro-Ottoman Fleets that would attempt to blockade Cattaro. I would have been a serious thorn in the Austrian's side. Leaving the Ottoman Empire flailing at targets across the desert on the Sinai Peninsula and the mountains bordering Russia, at least until Romania or Greece stepped in.

My intelligence that Cattaro was free from any armies came from PJL. But the Central Powers happened to rail an army in the very turn I landed, which has most probably destroyed any chance at a successful landing.

Therefore, due to gaining zero Military Control through my "victory", I must abandon the British Forces, at least for a few turns. Which essentially means. Starvation. Again.

Which is depressing for me.

I thought I was generally a good player. I've played through the game twice as the Central Powers. But the time frame of this game...between my work (which to give you an idea: last week my average working day was 13 hours), my family, sleep, an pitiful AAR, and trying to do a turn every day, I would not spend as much time planning things out as I should, which eventually caused the debacle at Aachen. Where I rearranged two armies to give the one all the strength and cohesion and the other one the scraps, but then instead of sending only the weak one into town, I proceeded to mistakenly send them both, to be caught up in that nice little deathtrap.

Therefore, I am probably quitting writing the AAR. In fact, after this "victory" in Cattaro, I am thoroughly frustrated with myself as there is a decent chance that I have just lost the war.

Personally, as much as would like to keep writing an AAR for the benefit of Ajarnlance to peruse after the war is done. To do so at the expense of family and a little sleep is not worth it, especially as it is increasingly only a sad tale told by an idiot.

At least for now, although. I may still post some screenshots.

Cheers.

havi
Colonel

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Chin up mate. I have made those same kind mistakes as u have in this one. The idiot is who that won't learn those mistakes. It have been my daily rutine to read yours and Aja's aar and I thank u for riding these, and would love to read these more if u have any spear time. But family first work second and fun 7'veth all good to u :)

TXcavalier
Corporal

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Jinx, you can load and move units onto ships in one turn. Move the men onto the ships then plot the ships movement to the right location. Use the distant unload option. They'll be safe in a turn. Passive and evade combat to get away. The ships will wait for the men before moving. Test it in SP. So, you get the sequence right.

PJL
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:48 pm

I can confirm that the Austrians only moved onto Cattaro the very turn that the British have landed. There certainly wasn't anything the turn before. In fact, if it weren't for the strange MC situation (Brits not even getting 5% MC despite victories), I would argue that they could be in a decent situation. It's certainly turning into a slugfest between them and the Austrians regardless.
Nico - Icon

'From without a thousand cycles
A thousand cycles to come
A thousand times to win
A thousand ways to run the world'
- Nico, 'Frozen Warnings'

Jinx
Captain

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:53 pm

TXcavalier wrote:Jinx, you can load and move units onto ships in one turn. Move the men onto the ships then plot the ships movement to the right location. Use the distant unload option. They'll be safe in a turn. Passive and evade combat to get away. The ships will wait for the men before moving. Test it in SP. So, you get the sequence right.

I haven't tried it because I thought processing the turn in SP (at least before I got the next turn in) wasn't accepted in these trust based games.
But as I understand it, I need a minimum 5% military control to NOT automatically attack the enemy in the province, I sit at 0% Military Control after my initial first landing "victory". So any orders I give would be revoked before I had a chance to get on board ship.

Also I need five days to get on the ships, would the ships wait the five days before setting sail on the sixth day?

TXcavalier
Corporal

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:03 pm

You don't have to use your current game to test. Any SP game, as the entente, has units you can move by ship. Yes, the ships should wait for the land units in normal conditions. The military control forced offensive might be an issue. But, hopefully if you have them on green/green evade combat they will retreat to the ships. Did you pull your fleet away already?

Edit: Its better than leaving them to die. I would try it.

JodelDiplom
Conscript

Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:17 pm

I thoroughly respect anyone who plays complex games like this one, particularly those who dare to do so against human opponents! :) Even when you lose (and unlucky accidents / planning under time-pressure make it look like really bad defeats) your grasp of the game is still miles ahead of mine. :bonk:

BBBD316
Lieutenant

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:17 am

Jinx & PJL it looks like you are starting to gain ground and hold the various fronts.

If you can manage to evacuate the BEF it will be reinforced and used on another front.

I am sure you guys can right this reversal.

Altaris

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:32 am

Learning some of the intricacies of AGEOD engine can be tough, don't beat yourself up too bad over it. Many years ago, I distinctly remember making some huge blunders (off the top of my head, placing George Washington and the entire Continental Army inside a city because I thought they had to be to avoid winter attrition losses and could easily break-out, only to find they were locked inside the city under siege the next turn with no escape... lost the whole army to surrender a few turns later! - A close second was attempting an amphibious landing similar to the one you've had at Cattaro with U.S. Grant in AACW1 and losing 20 NM in one turn, along with a giant army, as they got trapped on the beaches).

In general, it's a bad idea to land at a fortress, as even a safe landing doesn't guarantee storming the fort. Split would've probably been a better choice to land on the Dalmatian coast, though I understand your reasoning with the intel from the Serbs.

As others have suggested, I would ask your opponent for a gentlemanly house rule to let you evacuate your troops. Just move them back onto the transports, you can drag and drop them back into the coastal region adjacent to you assuming your transports are still there, then move the transports the next turn. This will work just fine.

AGEOD games are complex, but very rewarding once the system is learned. Maintaining flanks and supply lines is crucial, as you've discovered here. For coastal landings, it's often best to look for decent harbors where the enemy can't strike back at you quickly (Turkey has some good ones on the south coast of Anatolia and the Middle East coastline, if you want good targets to choose from), but big landings are always somewhat risky. This is a good thing for a WW1 game, otherwise the Entente with their massive naval superiority could simply land all over the place and put a quick end to the Central Powers, which would be a bad thing for game balance.

Overall, you guys have taken some tough blows in 1914, but they aren't game-ending. Your NM values are still holding up quite well. Just keep in mind it's a long war, it won't be decided once 1915 kicks in until much later.

Jinx
Captain

Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Hey Paul!

I got my boys out of Aachen without a shot! Every. Single. Man. :neener:

Haha! I am delighted! :-)

Jinx
Captain

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:39 pm

For the purposes of clarity.

I had two armies trapped and starving in Aachen and couldn't break out. After realizing my Raiders behind the enemy lines could slip through enemy armies fairly unopposed, especially if they where fairly reduced in strength. I had a vague idea. But it was absurd and I didn't think it would work.

Then six supply trains on G/G accidentally went into a territory that had an enemy army sitting in it. Next turn I brought them back out, without a single loss.

That's when I realized I might be able to pull this off. I took a gamble, and I wasn't sure it would work, and I didn't want to tip my hand and risk being wiped out as soon as the enemy saw I was slipping troops away.

It was still an unrealistic tactic, and most likely impossible. But I knew that the city might surrender any turn, so I had to at least try.
I split my units to individual dividions, down to the engineers. Set them on G/G, evade combat, and marched them clean through the two besieging enemy armies to freedom and food with (I believe), a single shot fired.
I figure that if it was at all possible, I had to wait until they where severely reduced. Maybe I could have gotten away with it a turn or two ago.

I realize this is completely unrealistic, and I hope it's not possible with armies at full strength, otherwise trench warfare will be a bit silly. I mean, I think about 100,000 men, artillery and all just walked through enemy trenches.

But I will say, I burst out laughing when Lance told me my starving french boys just skipped over his trenches without a single battle.

Jinx
Captain

The War Report, Late December, 1914. Turn 11.

Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:21 am

T11 North Rhineland.jpg

Greetings Gentlemen!

I am back, however briefly, and idiotically starting from waaaaaay back in Late December. But I have taken a few notes and screenshots, and I hope to quickly catch up to the present day.

I am a little foggy on the exact details, because at this stage in the game I was feeling pretty miserable and didn't think I'd ever start up the AAR again. But since then I think I got a better grasp on playing the Western Entente, and am making a little progress on the Western Front as well. Although, all around, we still are behind the Central Powers in overall War Score.

T11 North Rhineland.jpg

The German Army marches more troops into Aachen, further sealing our two armies within. Any breakouts will be nearly impossible from within, and if we gather forces in Eifel then the Kaiser will notice our increased combat power and respond by building up his forces in Aachen as well. But it may be beneficial to send troops north from Trier to Eifel, so that we can MTSG (if at all possible) if the Germans decide to try attacking instead of besieging us into surrender. Also, if an opportunity opens up, we will have troops in place to liberate Aachen.

T11 North Rhineland.jpg

General Kitchener has arrived in Malta, so we prepare an invasion on Cattaro. The Russians send word that Cattaro is free from any large enemy forces, and it appears all it set to launch our invasion. We have scraped together everything but the Indian forces for this attack. Two fully outfitted armies, and another that is slightly below its CP.
For support during the invasion, we have a battle fleet sent south from England to use for the duration of this mission, also if need be, we have the French fleet available as well.

My thinking is thus: One turn from now, if we land in Cattaro, defeat the Austrian Corp present, and form our armies, we will be doing well. Austrians will begin to move in our direction, but will probably not be able to bring sufficient force to defeat all three armies, slightly entrenched on our snowy hills. Supply will be sufficient for a couple of turns, and we could safely send away our fleets.

If on turn two, we bash our way into Cattaro, securing the city and the harbor, destroying the mines in the sea while we are at it, thereby being supplied over the water, and warding off any blockading attempts with the British or the French fleet, I think we will be doing very well.

If on subsequent turns, we hold out any attempt to break into the Cattaro territory thereby distracting the Austrians, with a few transport ships in the harbor if things go badly. I would call this operation a complete success. Anything gained beyond Cattaro will be just icing on a lovely cake.

T11 North Rhineland.jpg

On the Sea.

I'm not sure if Entente subs do any good in the blockade box, but beyond using them as a (slow) scouting force, I have little need of them.
I really should focus more on the blockading, and I will, within the next few months after things settle in my Mediterranean commitments. I keep waiting for the Kaisers 14000 CP fleet to come hammering out of the mist, so I am begrudgingly using my second Battle Fleet in England to cautiously blockade, but without to much loss to cohesion.

My British Indian Troops in Africa are resting these next two weeks, I need them in good health to take more German African Colonies.
The Portuguese armies board their transport ships and head south to assist in the conquest of Africa.

On the Diplomatic Front.

Portugal has joined the fray.

I will use them in Africa, to assist the French Corp there.
Attachments
T11 Turkey.jpg
T11 Cattaro.png
T11 Battle of Aachen.jpg

Jinx
Captain

The War Report, Early January, 1915. Turn 12.

Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:19 am

T12 North Rhineland.jpg

Greetings Gentlemen.

What a bloody mess.

Cattaro was reinforced with what appears to be a complete army under General von Bruderman. Nonetheless, we won a costly victory. But this operation in Cattaro is completely botched because we failed to gain any Military Control in the territory. This can be nothing else then a massive bug in the game.

T12 North Rhineland.jpg

I could understand it if somehow I LOST the battle, but I won, fair and square, although at three times the number of casualties then the Austrians, but I still won. I appriciate this great game and I'd still pay every dime I spent on it. But within the realms of the game, and within the realms of my gamey self, I am pretty ticked off by this. Honestly I'm close to quitting.

I needed that Military Control so that I can entrench my positions against the expected counter attack. I also needed it NOW so that in the face of this Austrian Army, I can actually reboard my transport ships and sail away, instead of being destroyed to a single man.

Because of this the whole damn operation is botched.

I blame my British troops, too busy sunning themselves on the beaches, swimming and building sandcastles to pick up their rifles and march inland.

The consequences of this failed operation is pretty damn serious. The entire British Forces, minus the Indian and South African troops, will be eliminated due to a bug.

Arjarnlance has offered to come to an agreement, to move his troops out so that I gain MC on condition that I evacuate from Cattaro and not use the B.E.F anywhere in the Adriatic Sea. I'm not sure I should though, it seems a bit......dishonorable not facing up to a defeat, with or without the bug. Besides, if I accepted those conditions, Austria would never have to worry about invasions along the Adriatic, and that seems like a backroom deal that wouldn't be quite historic.

Either way, if I do accept, it won't be this turn, not that I have too much hopes for this invasion after the army dropped into Cattaro, but if I accept I would more or less saunter off without too much damage, and Lance could make an argument after he lost the war stating that if he hadn't struck an agreement with me then he would have won, which is probably not too inaccurate.

Conversely, I don't want to be able to say the same if I do walk away this turn.

I find it amusing that if I had accepted, then in a way, it would be our little Christmas truce in our game.

Anyways, for Cattaro, all I can do is hope we gain some Military Control next turn so that we can at least re-board our transport ships and sail away. I don't have high hopes of this, so I am sending away my fleets out of the minefields and back towards Malta.

T12 North Rhineland.jpg

In the North Rhineland, we are strengthening our armies there.

We build a Depot Eifel, to help us better against the cold winter nights as well as to push supply to us there. The Germans in Aachen also strengthen their positions. My poor trapped boys. They will begin starving this turn.

The situation all around is depressing.

T12 North Rhineland.jpg

On the Diplomatic Front.

Turkey joined the war. My plan against them is.....let them come to us!
They can try moving against the Caucuses, which I've done as the Central Powers, is pretty difficult. In the snow, over mountains, they will gain little ground and the Russians can hold them off easily.

I understand that the Russians are hard pressed, and could use an additional army from the Caucuses someplace else. But I'd rather the Ottomans bashed themselves against a highly defensible position in the Caucus Mountains and then when I rebuild the British army, invade......Cattaro or something again, relieving pressure against Russia on their eastern Front. I'd rather that, then face off against them in Jerusalem where there is little defensive ground to tie up Ottoman troops with.

Alternatively, the Ottomans may try attack over the Sinai desert, where I could sit and wait for them behind the Suez while they stagger across the desert. Then, if I have sufficient forces, I can drop troops in behind them and cut off their escape.

Again, they are penned up in Turkey, and the only way to fight the Entente is either across snowy mountains or burning desert. If they want to do that, absolutely fine, we can beat them back. In the meantime...the British's most powerful weapon is their Navy. If I see targets to drop an army behind, I will do it.

Italy is also coming along a nicely. I'm waiting on them to join now so that I can fire off the Harsh Blockades event.

T12 North Rhineland.jpg
Attachments
T12 South Bosnia.png
T12 Newspaper.jpg
T12 Diplomacy.png
T12 Battle of Cattaro.jpg

Jinx
Captain

The War Report, Late January, 1915. Turn 13.

Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:21 am

T13 Newspaper.jpg

Greetings Gentlemen.

My apologies for the ahistorical newspaper. I've given up trying to get the right dates and just going for the headlines now. Whats the take on the Newspaper clippings? I'm not sure why I put them up. I used to read them when it halfway went with what the game was doing, but now they are just......there and I'm considering doing away with them.

Anyways. I'm being slaughtered in Cattaro. Two big battles with two British victories! But the Austrians can replenish their ranks, whereas I cannot.

T13 Newspaper.jpg

The British are still calculated to be landing their troops and I have to deal with another penalty on top of everything.

We gained one National Morale over this battle! A stunning success considering everything, and yet...we haven't gained any military control.

T13 Newspaper.jpg

The second battle of Cattaro, the fatigue is beginning to show and we took double the casualties of the Austrians. Yet we still won a tragic victory in this battle.

My men are holding up decently well, although supplies are running short.

Lance has approached me again over coming to an agreement, dropping the qualification of the B.E.F. excluded from the Adriatic coastline. Citing that he doesn't want to win the war because the British got wiped out in Cattaro, as it would severely unbalance the game to the point that Central Powers odds for victory rise dramatically.
Other people might have just taken the buggy gift the game gods sent them and exterminated the British Force without a qualm. But Lance is an honorable chap, and I think I may have to agree with him on this point.

So in the end, after exchanging a few emails back and forth between all players, we agreed that it was an okay thing to do all around. The Austrian Army in Cattaro would withdraw, suffering an attack by the hapless British Army who cannot help but attack since I have 0% MC. Then, IF I gain any Military Control on the next round, I would board my transport ships and depart for Malta.

I did make one qualifying condition with Lance though, even though he has been more then accommodating already. It was that he wouldn't attack my transport ships with my armies on it. Theoretically, if he did attack them, I may have just as well left them in Cattaro. But he agreed and plans where set in motion.

In Aachen.

My two armies are starving. They will most likely surrender this turn or the next, all 35 shabby Units. You cant see them here as its pretty packed now, but the Germans have 1900 CP sitting entrenched on top of Aachen with +800 CP that could possibly MTSG. I have 1600 CP in two armies in Eifel.

So, you can't really make it out whats happening in this screenshot, I will explain what I'm doing in a minute. This will either be my greatest shame or my stupidest and weirdest move ever.

This current game, in an effort to attract more attention towards the West, and in possibly a futile and slightly wasteful attempt, and because I have loads of them. I've been sending cavalry divisions racing across enemy territory, passing through enemy entrenchments and armies, snipping railway lines and pillaging territory. I was relatively successful up until the snow came, bogging down my units and trapping two (or three?) of them. I did manage to attract a lot of German militia and dragged a couple corp after my cavalry. In the process I learnt a few things.

It seeeeeems to me, that a unit in half strength is less easily detected. It also seems that if I switch my units to D/G and evade combat, I can actually pass through enemy units fairly easily. Slipping in and out and through enemy armies without being nabbed. That went for the nimble cavalry units.

A turn or two ago, in part of a joint attack later canceled, about six supply wagon trains wandered into Bonn, I realized this, and immediately ushered them back out.

These two events give me the impression that I can probably sneak away my Commanders out of Aachen, set to G/G posture and on evade. Commanders should be easy to get out.
So I started by ordering my commanders out.

Then I thought, what about supply trains? They got out of Bonn, they may be able to get out of Aachen too, and if I'm going to lose Aachen anyway, I might as well take my airplanes out of it too.

So I left it at that. But after some thinking, and since I'd tried the last turn to sortie out with my armies in Aachen as a desperate last stand but failing due to lack of supply. I decided, if its either surrender or a mad dash to freedom where SOME of them might get away, I might as well try it.

I don't want any units to accidentally set off a shot, so instead of D/G, I set all 35 units to G/G and evade. I hope that at the very minimum, my cavalry, planes, supply carts, and commanders will get out.

So, that's what that mess over there is all about.

I'm happy if at least I get my supply wagons and my commanders out. I'm most likely charging each and every one of my troops individually into the enemy bayonets, set to G/G, enemies casualties will be virtually non-existent.

T13 Newspaper.jpg

On the Sea.

Loaded up all my transports in Africa and shipping them for simultaneous landings in Kamerun, Togo, and Ost Africa, the Portugese Army and the French Colonial Army against Kamerun, the South African Army against Togo, and the British Indian Army in Ost Africa for a tentative landing.

Japanese Navy move to secure the seas around Africa against German intervention.

T13 Newspaper.jpg
Attachments
T13 North Rhineland.jpg
T13 Battle of Cattaro.jpg
T13 Africa.png
T13 2nd Battle of Cattaro.jpg

JodelDiplom
Conscript

Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Hooray!! An update!! :D Exciting to read your side of the Aachen battle. Can't wait for your comments on the next turn :D :D

My opinion on the newspaper clippings: They add some flair, but if they are a hassle, the AAR won't be poorer off if you leave them out.

Jinx
Captain

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:39 am

JodelDiplom wrote:Hooray!! An update!! :D Exciting to read your side of the Aachen battle. Can't wait for your comments on the next turn :D :D

My opinion on the newspaper clippings: They add some flair, but if they are a hassle, the AAR won't be poorer off if you leave them out.

Haha! We all know what happened there! :-)

Thanks for writing! its always nice to get feedback, it really encourages me to keep at this.

FlumenSV
Private

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:32 pm

Jinx wrote:Well boys, who ever still cheers for us, after pondering over my turn all day, I finally sent it it. Hopefully we can relieve our armies in Aachen, but...not sure if it will be possible.
I definitely sent one army into the town, as for the other...I could have sworn I didn't, and now they are trapped. Either ways, we will see what happens next turn.

Following you on this, cant wait for next report :)

JodelDiplom
Conscript

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Jinx wrote:Haha! We all know what happened there! :-)

Yes we do, don't we? :D Lance's side of the story was quite hilarious to read, now I am looking forward to hearing what it felt like on your side.

Thanks for writing! its always nice to get feedback, it really encourages me to keep at this.

You're welcome! Thanks for writing the AAR, and letting me have part in this game without having to play it ;)

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:34 pm

Thanks guys - I love both sides of the AAR a lot! Great idea to do it like this...

Jinx
Captain

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:16 am

Due to exciting times happening in the current turn. I don't have too much time to catch up.
So I'm going to reserve a whole bunch of the next posts to input the next turns into.

Reserved for

The War Report, Early February, 1915. Turn 14.

Jinx
Captain

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:23 am

Reserved for

The War Report, Late February, 1915. Turn 15.

Return to “EAW AARs”