H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

The Fronts at Early June/Late June 1917 Planning.....

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:13 pm

West Front in the Sedan area. The Metz outbreak still ongoing, but the one formation in Longwy is about to be obliterated and Hindenburg's formation is almost in the trap. I move 2 of the formations that took Metz farther East.

[ATTACH]31027[/ATTACH]

West Front cont...

Kassel is not breached anymore. Foch moves up to take another region. The formations in Oldenburg sense a withdrawal of troops in Bremen so they attack.

[ATTACH]31028[/ATTACH]

Italian Front

Samobor still stands, but it seems the CP has abandoned its attempts to relieve it. I am moving up the 3 strong formations from Fiume since we took it. I hope to continue the advance toward Wien which is to the NE.

[ATTACH]31029[/ATTACH]

Salonika/Constantinople

Unattached USA troops enter the Constantinople region and through reorganization I now have a combined 1703 power in the region. I am also transporting JC Smuts and all of his formations from South Africa which will add about 1000 power more to the region.

[ATTACH]31030[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn Early June 1917 - Salonika.jpg
Turn Early June 1917 - IF.jpg
Turn Early June 1917 - WF 2.jpg
Turn Early June 1917 - WF 1.jpg
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Late June 1917 Results
=================

Battles Longwy, Constantinople, Jerusalem, Samobor,

[ATTACH]31031[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31032[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31033[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31034[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31035[/ATTACH]

You should be familiar with all these regions by now, except maybe Schweinfurt. Schweinfurt is just above Wuerzburg on the West Front, but several regions South of Kassel. Lord Kitchener caught a Turkish formation out in the open and punched them in the nose.

I did not mention Jerusalem in my planning last turn, but it looked like the Turks had pulled back a little so I attacked, really after I had done all my posting.

And Samobor finally falls.
Attachments
Turn Late June 1917 - Schweinfurt.jpg
Turn Late June 1917 - Samobor.jpg
Turn Late June 1917 - Jerusalem.jpg
Turn Late June 1917 - Constantinople.jpg
Turn Late June 1917 - Longwy.jpg
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:05 pm

South Atlantic, won 2 NM there. And Strasbourg, really looks just like a loose unit floating around that we cleaned up.

[ATTACH]31036[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31037[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn Late June 1917 - Strasbourg.jpg
Turn Late June 1917 - South Pacific.jpg

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Late June 1917 continued. Objectives and Planning.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:13 pm

Objectives. Getting close. CP has lost over 4 million men.

[ATTACH]31038[/ATTACH]

West Front.

We are almost completely done with the other formation that split off of Hindenburg. We might get a battle with Hindenburg this turn, but he is basically surrounded at this point and will be done in very soon. Look forward to having that 3K+ power worth of formations freed up to move East to the real West Front.

[ATTACH]31039[/ATTACH]

West Front - continued....

De Langle De Cary is continuing the siege of Bremen. Placing the troops in Hannover on offensive operations to move the CP formation out. Foch is put on defensive to recover cohesion. And Kassell is fully breached again and we are assaulting.

[ATTACH]31040[/ATTACH]

Italian Front

Really the only thing to mention is we have 4 activated units that will cross the river to an indefended region so when the time comes to attack Zagreb, I won't be attacking across the river like they did.

[ATTACH]31041[/ATTACH]

Salonika/Constantinople

I have 3K in power in the Constantinople region now. No breaches to the city walls, though. I really want this to happen soon!

[ATTACH]31042[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn Late June 1917 - Salonika.jpg
Turn Late June 1917 - IF.jpg
Turn Late June 1917 - WF 2.jpg
Turn Late June 1917 - WF 1.jpg
Turn Late June 1917 - Objectives.jpg

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:14 pm

And I have not shown Egypt for a while because nothing was happening. Things are happening again, and I'm moving to attack Jaffa.

[ATTACH]31043[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Turn Late June 1917 - Middleaste.jpg

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Turn - Early July Results.....

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Momentous things have happened, my friends.

First, even though he was one of the enemy leaders, I still toast the life of Emperor Franz Joseph

[ATTACH]31048[/ATTACH]

Then... Objectives....

[ATTACH]31049[/ATTACH]

Which leads me to......

Armistice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ATTACH]31050[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31051[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]31052[/ATTACH]

It's time to heal. Let this truly be The War to End All Wars. Too much suffering has happened and what did it gain us? Let us not punish our foes too much and let it give rise to more anger and more war.
Attachments
Peace.jpg
Great War Ends.jpg
Turn Late July 1917 - Major Victory.jpg
Turn Late July 1917 - Objectives.jpg
Turn Late July 1917 - Death of Franz Joseph.jpg

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:56 pm

And finally....

My "closing thoughts" section.

I really like this game. This was my first AAR and I learned a lot about doing AARs and I feel like it also helped me order my thoughts by putting them down in printed form.

Some events, I was unaware they would happen until they happened. I guess that is designed that way for surprises, good and bad. I did not foresee the death of Franz Joseph, but I did think an event would probably be what ended the war. I thought I would probably end the game in January of 1918 with the 14 Points decision card. It was going to be available this turn, I guess? But, I thought it would be available in January 1918.

[ATTACH]31053[/ATTACH]

I felt like the AI for me, and I am not a strong player of Ageod games, was very good and capable. I played an ahistorical warplan, but in my strategies, I played mostly historical, except for USA troops to Salonika. I don't think that was too unbelievable. Politically, yes, the USA probably would not have allowed troops to the Salonika/Constantinople region. But, either way, if I had sent USA troops to the West Front, I would have probably moved even more British and French troops to the region. I am a big proponent of multiple fronts.

I think the scoring and NM system could use some tweaks. Most of my points came from naval battles and even though losses of battleships probably were horrific for the citizenry to read about, I just think I gained way too many points just from naval victories. I think land battles should be tweaked up for points, but not too much.

AAA+ on the game, Ageod

Thank you for following my AAR. Especially to all the people who commented. Comments keep you going, even if it is only, "Nice AAR".
Attachments
14 points.jpg

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:09 pm

One final note:

About entrenchment. I know a lot of games have found it hard to get that entrenchment feeling and I do think To End All Wars also does not deliver on the entrenchment feeling. This in no way makes it a bad game.

It's just one thing I know some people focus on. I felt like the front was always static and it was always moving. None of the "Over the Top and At Them, Boys" feeling.

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:57 pm

Great aar ;)

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:00 pm

Lynxyonok wrote:Great aar ;)

Thank you!! I'm still reading yours, too, so don't let the Entente down. Win the war!!

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:30 pm

"Comments keep you going, even if it is only, "Nice AAR". "

IMHO, AARs also keep the game players going!

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:38 pm

oldspec4 wrote:"Comments keep you going, even if it is only, "Nice AAR". "

IMHO, AARs also keep the game players going!

True enough. I have bought games based on AARs and Let's plays.

Merlin
General

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:48 pm

I'd just ended my reading of this a couple days ago at Early June, '17. I'd forgotten about the Franz Joseph event, so... very well played. I generally have difficulty wading through AARs written as novels, and I very much appreciate your matter-of-fact style. I try to write mine the same way.

As for automatic events, they're the ones with the "(A)" in the title.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 pm

Merlin wrote:I'd just ended my reading of this a couple days ago at Early June, '17. I'd forgotten about the Franz Joseph event, so... very well played. I generally have difficulty wading through AARs written as novels, and I very much appreciate your matter-of-fact style. I try to write mine the same way.

As for automatic events, they're the ones with the "(A)" in the title.

Ahhh, ok. Thanks. But, as the Entente player you don't get to see the CP events like that before they play and vice versa, right?

It definitely adds flavor. Not being that versed on WW1 history, I did not know that the Emperor died during the war. And I missed a few other things as well, like Lord Kitchener!

Merlin
General

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:32 am

H Gilmer3 wrote:Ahhh, ok. Thanks. But, as the Entente player you don't get to see the CP events like that before they play and vice versa, right?

It definitely adds flavor. Not being that versed on WW1 history, I did not know that the Emperor died during the war. And I missed a few other things as well, like Lord Kitchener!

The only way to see the events of the other factions is to load/play them and memorize the events and conditions.

Oh, and Kitchener. That definitely got a chuckle out of me, since I have a fair familiarity with WW1 and have the following anecdote: When I fired up my first WE game, I looked at the British GHQ and thought, "Who the hell is this Lord guy? Shouldn't that be Kitchener?" :tournepas

Then I clicked the actual unit and laughed at myself.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:31 am

Merlin wrote:The only way to see the events of the other factions is to load/play them and memorize the events and conditions.

Oh, and Kitchener. That definitely got a chuckle out of me, since I have a fair familiarity with WW1 and have the following anecdote: When I fired up my first WE game, I looked at the British GHQ and thought, "Who the hell is this Lord guy? Shouldn't that be Kitchener?" :tournepas

Then I clicked the actual unit and laughed at myself.

If I knew WW1 history better, I would have known who the overall army commander was! Imagine my surprise in looking him up and seeing what a distinguished career he had!!

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:34 am

Merlin wrote:I very much appreciate your matter-of-fact style. I try to write mine the same way.

As for this comment, I appreciate it. You might notice at one point, I kind of was sick of just posting battle screens, so I just posted them right in a row with not much commentary. I tried to have more commentary on the planning screenshots so that when you see a battle screenshot, you kind of knew what it meant from the planning part.

I think I "lucked" up on the warplans chosen. I had very little of a front to defend and and the Germans were attacking east. That left it wide open for me to force as many troops as I could through the lightly defended West Front. I bypassed Metz because it was a very strong formation and only very late in the war did the Germans abandon it and by that time, it really was too late.

Merlin
General

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:38 am

Yes, the comparisons between your game and my PBEM are already and will, I assume, become even more interesting. Athena seems to hold her own most of the time, but every, say, 4th game she goes sideways. Fortunately she didn't for you, and probably won't very often after the next patch.

Johnny Canuck

Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:13 am

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your AAR, & I got a chuckle out of General Lord as well. :)

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:01 am

Johnny Canuck wrote:Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your AAR, & I got a chuckle out of General Lord as well. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks!

Švejk
Conscript

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:24 am

Too bad you were not able to take Constantinople.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:55 am

just been reading this as part of really getting my head around EAW ...very informative and great to follow thank you
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 am

Too bad you were not able to take Constantinople.

Yes. I wanted to see what happened to the Ottoman Empire, if Constantinople was taken but the war went on. I wanted to see if they dropped out eventually.

just been reading this as part of really getting my head around EAW ...very informative and great to follow thank you

I find this to be very high praise indeed, after reading several of your excellent AARs. Your battles against Narwhal in Wars in America and Rise of Prussia were sort of what made me want to do an AAR. Narwhal's beginner's corner helped me learn the system to such extent I know it.

operating
Conscript

Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:45 pm

H Gilmer3 wrote:You people who are guests who are reading, you need to go on ahead and register and introduce yourselves. We are a very welcoming community and if anyone acts like a jerk, the rest usually jump right in and correct that person's manners!

New here! Waiting for my boxed edition to get airmailed onto the front porch via my strong armed delivery driver. For the past week have been reviewing AARs here and over at Matrix. Have to admit everybody here has been doing a good job, even though many AARs remain incomplete. Have been a fan of CTGW the past 2 years and counting, but felt the need of depth for a WW1 game, hopefully this fits the bill.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:38 am

operating wrote:New here! Waiting for my boxed edition to get airmailed onto the front porch via my strong armed delivery driver. For the past week have been reviewing AARs here and over at Matrix. Have to admit everybody here has been doing a good job, even though many AARs remain incomplete. Have been a fan of CTGW the past 2 years and counting, but felt the need of depth for a WW1 game, hopefully this fits the bill.

I hope you enjoy it. I have both CTGW and this game and I like this game better because I like more detail and this definitely has more detail. When I started my AAR, it was kind of a fluke because I had already played a half year in game before making the decision to do an AAR. I really figured I was going to be beaten so badly that no one would want to read it, but once I started doing well, I thought, "Well, it won't be so embarrassing now."

I really hope people like this game because I want them to get the enjoyment I get out of it.

Cheers!!!

operating
Conscript

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:38 am

There is an art to losing! Doing an AAR about losing is probably more important than one about wining. I would give a guy more respect for sticking it out to the bitter end, or if the match does not CTD first (kind of a blessing in disguise)....

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Great AAR - hope to see more in future ;-)

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:02 pm

steelwarrior77 wrote:Great AAR - hope to see more in future ;-)

Thank you, sir. I am in the middle of a job search right now and working in a temporary assignment, so my time is limited. I'm hoping to be in a permanent position soon and a little more time to do hopefully another AAR.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:46 am

I plan to do a new AAR soon. 2 days after this, I accepted a new position and have been in the process of moving and getting settled in. I have everything I need in place.

My next AAR might be a video AAR.

FlumenSV
Private

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:22 pm

H Gilmer3 wrote:I plan to do a new AAR soon. 2 days after this, I accepted a new position and have been in the process of moving and getting settled in. I have everything I need in place.

My next AAR might be a video AAR.

Looking forward to your video AAR :thumbsup:
Indeficienter

Return to “EAW AARs”