Salarmax
Corporal

Suggestions for Holland region

Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Dear EAW developers,

I have some suggestions regarding city names located in Holland. I live in Holland near Amsterdam :neener:

The following names should be changed (to the actual dutch variants, because I noticed for example the German cities are spelled the german way):
- Texel => Den Helder (Texel is basically an island in the Waddenzee. This island isn't visible so it doesnt make sense to call this region Texel. Moreover, in Den Helder is a big marine base of the Dutch army so you should consider a port in this region)
- Amsterdam is good. However I live near the so called Hollandse Waterlinie (a military fort structure, like the maginot line but a lot smaller) which is actually located near Amsterdam. Therefore I think it's a good suggestion to change Amsterdam into a fortified city.
- Rotterdam and The Hague should be switched. Rotterdam is located south of The Hague :) . Also in dutch The Hague is spelled Den Haag.
- The capital of the province of Zeeland is Middelburg it's not Terneuzen
- I think it's better to change Sittard into Eindhoven. Eindhoven is a real big city, compared to Sittard. Eindhoven has also a huge industrial capacity (in Eindhoven the Philips factories were established) so maybe you should upgrade this city into an industrial one.
- Maastricht, and the province of Limburg in general is well known for it's coal mines. Maybe adding a coal mine here like Dusseldorf is wise
- Arnheim => Arnhem :bonk:
- Wolle = Zwolle
- Hengeh => Hengelo or Enschede. Enschede is far more bigger than Hengelo
- The capital of the province of Twente is Assen not Koevorden
- Emmeloord is way out of it's actual location. Hoogeveen is a better name suited to it's location

And last but not least: the name Holland is only applied to 2 dutch provinces Zuid Holland and Noord Holland so I think it's better to change Holland into the Netherlands :wacko:

czert2
Brigadier General

Re: Suggestions for Holland region

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:43 pm

den helder naval base - well, mayby it is nice sized naval bse today, but it was big base back then too ? after all, hink kong in 1897 and 1997 are totaly different cities/places.
amsterdam fortification - well, are you sure it is big enough complex to justify it ? even lvl1 ? mayby adding lesser fortification (redoubt?) will do the trick, or maby just fortified line. and keep in minds some orts are hre added for historic reason - like one at galipoli - where none actualy existed, but it is there for historic difficulties. while other can be removed since they didnt played any significiant role at battle for region.

Return to “Help improve EAW”