elxaime
General

Some Naval Issues - Need Some Work On These?

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Two issues, not sure if they have been brought up before.

1. In a PBEM, just had British naval force under David Beatty naval intercept from outside the straits of the Dardanelles into the Western Sea of Marmara, past the Turkish-held and garrisoned forts on either side, where Beatty sank the Turkish transport (which was also in a region with Central Power mines). No messages about the fort guns on either side firing or any minefield damage.

Unless these results are "hidden" to the opposing side, this seems beyond strange.

2. Second, the U-boats the Germans send to the Atlantic shipping box all have to run the WE minefields of the Channel to get there, which means arriving half-dead usually. There isn't any alternative route it seems. Is this WAD?

Ace

Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Could you post a save game. I haven't seen that happening in my games.

elxaime
General

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:14 pm

I couldn't find the instructions on how to post a save on the forums, so I went ahead and emailed the save and log files to support@ageod.com, referencing a link to this thread.

EDIT - email got bounced back with a "network busy" error message. Oh, well.

Ace

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Go to advanced reply, then you'll find attachments icon on the top of your message. Start from there. The game has to be zipped

elxaime
General

Saved File

Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks!

OK here it is...we are using latest version.
Attachments
EAW Saved Game.zip
(394.66 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

Ace

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:24 pm

In the scripted events there is a text saying several vessels have been damaged by mines. In the main log there are lines saying damage has been dealt to ships and how much damage has been dealt. Fort guns didn't fire, but without backup turn I can't say if it is by chance, or they don't fire when fleet bypasses guns because of intercept order. I didn't see any subs sunk, and Channel sea region is free of WE mines, so I don't see a problem there.

elxaime
General

Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:56 pm

Here is the prior turn. Hopefully this will shed light. Not sure, but if it was pure luck the shore guns on both sides didn't fire, I hope that still reflected a very low probability lucky roll. Otherwise, the Entente just strolls through the Dardanelles. But it may be an issue where the game recognizes normal sea movement through the straits for fort gun purposes, but not for an intercept.

On the channel mines, I see it now. I was click-dragging my U-boats to the Atlantic Shipping box from their port in Germany. I think the AI movement just chooses the shortest route, so it was going through the Entente coastal mines regions. You have to carefully move your subs manually through the un-mined central English Channel sea region to avoid the mines. So that issue is solved.
Attachments
2 - The Guns of August.zip
(407.49 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

Return to “Help improve EAW”