stww2
Civilian

Critical Error During Turn Transition

Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:26 pm

When I try to advance to the next turn, I get the following critical error (please see the screenshot linked below):

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuPbxH5JDUrggfZoI2eJgGaErgHWfw

I have tried launching the game in administrator mode, but this does not alleviate the problem. This error has occurred with increasing frequency during the course of my campaign play-through. In the beginning, it would only happen if I tried to advance two turns without restarting the game. Now, it happens almost every turn, which, for obvious reasons, makes the game more or less unplayable.

Durk

Re: Critical Error During Turn Transition

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:15 am

What I find with the newer titles is that I often get this error if I play more than one turn. So my solution is to exit and reenter the game. If that does not work, take the longer exit Windows and resume play. I think there is a cache which finally empties when your restart your computer.

stww2
Civilian

Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks. Restarting the game does appear to allow the turn to process without error. This is an extremely inefficient solution, however; surely there is some other way to reset whatever file or setting needs to be restarted for the game to work.

Of course, as soon I started playing the game again (through the cumbersome process of restarting the game after every turn), I encountered another critical error: "Fleet Exception caught," which not only causes a CTD on turn transition but then prevents me from loading the game without rolling back to the previous turn. I figured this was a one-off and redid the previous turn (after the restarting the computer again), only to encounter the same error only with a different fleet!

I'm fairly discouraged at this point. I love this game so far, but trying to play it seems to propel me into a seemingly endless pit of bugs. Too bad I already played the game long past the limit for Steam refunds...

Edward75
Private

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:59 pm

After patch 1.04 + QuickFix, this problem is constant!

Durk

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:12 pm

I do not have these issues; but I have two further suggestions to try. Of course, I do not play on Steam so if the issue is Steam related these may not help; but please try these solutions:
1 Make sure to always start in Administrative Mode
2. Maximize the memory you are allocating to the game
3. Make certain to save before executing any turn and do this for each turn.

I do not play consecutive turns as all my play is pbem, so I may not have too much more to offer. For what it is worth, your issue is not common.

Edward75
Private

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:20 am

1. Started as Administrative Mode and even rebooted computer - same problem.
2. I do not know how to do it, but I run only game.
3. I always do this.

I always play just PBEM.
Against AI if i need to check or make a test, only.
My opponent has same problem. This is a bug, or maybe some kind of incompatibility when playing PBEM.

Durk

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:47 am

Ah ha, a good clue as to something else to try, but first, go into the game options menu and select the systems tab, you can then adjust the memory allocated to the game.

So with your new information it might just be that you and your pbem opponent are in different versions of the game. Your are ideally in 1.03 May 2019 with Altaris's latest patch.
I see this might conflict with your posted 1.04 patch, so I need to research this, perhaps. I suspect I am suggesting a reinstall, to update to 1.03 May 2019

If you are both in the same patch, then let's scratch our heads again to move forward

Edward75
Private

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:37 pm

We both installed same patch: 1.03 +1.04 + fix. Same options, and we both see same bugs in PBEM game !!!
It is strange that few players play this game and do not see these problems. And do not solve these problems!

Nikel

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Have you tried disabling the user account control and not installing the game in a "\Program Files" folder?

Edward75
Private

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:20 am

Yes, I installed game in another Disk!

Nikel

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:46 pm

But the UAC is enabled?

Altaris

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Out of curiosity, are you playing a game which was started prior to the latest QuickFix, then patched, then started experiencing the issue?

The reason I ask is the model list changed during the latest patch and may have caused some compatibility issue with saves started under unpatched 1.04 beta.

Regarding the write access issue, I'm not sure what to recommend here, as I cannot replicate the issue. Where do your saves get saved to? Mine (on Steam installation) go into Documents->My Games->To End All Wars->Saves and do not seem to have any issues. Windows 10 is funny sometimes if you are trying to save to a non-Documents folder.

Edward75
Private

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 am

NO. Me and my opponent several times reinstalled game completely. First, everything was deleted, then installed game again:
Game + patch 1.03 +1.04 + fix.
If as I was told that patch 1.03 is NOT needed to be installed, then I say it is here, there is a problem:
viewtopic.php?p=403804#p403804

I do not like to continue old game after installing a new patch, it is guaranteed to be bugs or problems!
After installing a new patch and fix, we started a NEW game! We have no problem finding save-file in folder Saves, game sees it well. I have windows 8.1, my opponent has 7.0

Altaris

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:26 am

Can you post the save? I'd like to see if I can replicate it. I don't have the expansion installed and do not suffer the same error, I'd like to see if it happens on your save. I may be able to track down the exact issue in the log if it does.

Return to “EAW Technical support / Aide technique”