Drakken
Lieutenant Colonel

What should I put inside GHQs?

Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:54 pm

1) Should I be including a few Corps inside the theatre GHQ itself? Heavy Artillery? Would these function as a Strategic Reserve for all Armies that are attached to it?

2) Also, what is the best way to use Heavy Artillery for offensives? Should I include them inside Armies, but outside of any Corps? They do not seem to be consuming Ammunition when done so.

Thanks!

Bargus
Corporal

Re: What should I put inside GHQs?

Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi Drakken,

I'm not sure if this is optimal or "correct," but I always use my GHQs are just another Army. I load them up with Corps, etc., and place them in the line next to other Armies. I find the March to the Sound of the Guns too useful; I like to have as many potential supports nearby as I can, so especially early-on I use the GHQ as such.

Durk

Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:31 pm

For me it depends upon which nation. As Russia or Austria I keep the GHQ mobile so it can rail to different fronts to promote new army commanders.
Britain and France have some need to get armies into the Middle East, so maybe a trip to the south of France.
Bargus's use makes sense as it adds punch, but you need to make sure to the extent you can that all armies connect to the GHQ.

Placing your heavy artillery at the army level is a good idea. I think mainly about putting them with a high initiative general so they are active.

epaminondas
Colonel

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Humiliating to admit it, but it took me months and months of playing solo before it occurred to me that a GHQ could actually attach units and become a functioning army in its own right without sacrificing its "booster" powers.

That established I pretty much practise a combination of the strategies outlined by Bargus and Durk. On the West Front with it's limited bandwidth I plonk my fully tooled up GHQ dead in the middle of my line so that it can throw its weight into a battle anywhere it occurs. On the East Front, however, I use a streamlined (but still hunky) formation that can train to wherever the need is greatest without overloading my rail system.

Return to “To End All Wars”