epaminondas
Colonel

Height of Ambition

Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:21 pm

Nit-picker that I am, I'm looking to modify the event producing Moltke's retirement so that it fires only if a West Front deployment is selected in Turn 1 - that is, anything other than the "Moltke Plan". Ignoramus that I am, I can't even find the scripts governing this event. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Durk

Re: Height of Ambition

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:41 pm

Not exactly sure what you desire. You wish for Moltke not to be fired? If Germany holds in the West and attacks Eastward? I would say in this instance, he would have resigned for not following his plan.
To keep Moltke, just take Paris on time.

Durk

Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:42 pm

But the code is in the scenario setup.

epaminondas
Colonel

Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:41 am

I'm a Moltke defender so I go with the argument that the Western Folly wasn't Moltke's plan but an adaptation of Schlieffen's incomplete "study" forced upon him by the military establishment's reverence for the great man. Moltke instead proposed a defensive posture in the West with the major effort to be expended on a limited initial offensive in the East - hence the game's version of the "Moltke Plan".

He might well have resigned had this failed, but given that "all" it called for was the establishment of a defensive perimeter running from Kovno to Brest-Litovsk and along the Bug to the Austrian border I reckon his odds of success there would have been much greater than those attending a victory parade along the Champs d'Elysee. Thus I figure that if the player wants to retain Moltke he/she should be given that opportunity via pursuit of the "Moltke Plan".

As I say - a nitpicker.

And as to the ignoramus bit - I have no idea of what the code might be and where the scenario setup might be found, but am going to actively investigate both as soon as I sign off this post. Thanks for the pointer Durko.

Durk

Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:40 pm

If this is your first journey 'under the hood' be sure to back up any file you change somewhere outside the game before tinkering.
Almost all early game modding is done in the events files. You should find an event file with the relevant command codes. These will look familiar to anyone familiar with basic coding those the language is its own. Alternatively, you could create a new event which 'returns' Moltke to the game the next turn, which might be similar. All are text files converted to the game file format, so not too hard to manage.

One reason to love gaming is to be able to play the what ifs. You are clearly exploring such a fun possibility. Good luck.

Return to “To End All Wars”