Straight Arrow
General

Step into Your Place.

Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:45 pm

Has anyone noticed if the CP receives a one time boost to its manpower power pool each time a nation, Turkey, Bulgaria, or Romania, joins its ranks?

If so, any idea of how much?

Art work for the post's title
https://www.wdl.org/en/item/4630
Last edited by Straight Arrow on Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

epaminondas
Colonel

Re: Step into Your Place.

Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:10 am

I can confirm that there is a small manpower gift associated with minors joining the CP but it's never been significant enough for me to take notice of its quantum. I'll hunt back through some old saves and try to find the details.

Nope - hold that. I might be confusing Turkey with the minors. I'll clarify as soon as I get a chance to visit the histories.

epaminondas
Colonel

Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:03 pm

Yep - just made a mug of myself. Neither Bulgaria nor Rumania provided additional manpower when joining the CP. Turkey kicked in 130 new bodies.

Straight Arrow
General

Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks Epaminondas for running that down.

I, and my fellow Messenian helots eagerly await your arrival in Lackonia.
Come and strike off our chains!

Keep the Left wing strong and beware of Macedonians bearing gifts.

epaminondas
Colonel

Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:44 am

I've no idea what you're talking about - it's all Greek to me.

Pocus

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:29 am

Lackonia? I miss this land.

epaminondas
Colonel

Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:39 am

I'm thinking Arrow is having a little fun with my handle. The historical (instead of this hysterical) Epaminondas led a Theban invasion of Messene then under Spartan rule. At that time Sparta was more broadly known as Laconia. When "liberated" somewhat later Messene became an effective client state of Macedonia until joining the Achaean League and opposing a full Macedonian invasion.

HHFD50
Captain

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:12 am

Straight Arrow wrote:Has anyone noticed if the CP receives a one time boost to its manpower power pool each time a nation, Turkey, Bulgaria, or Romania, joins its ranks?

If so, any idea of how much?

Art work for the post's title
https://www.wdl.org/en/item/4630

Yes, although the numbers are small. It is mentioned in the game manual too. Both sides received a boost in manpower and money when a new nation joins. However, when the United States joins the WE (if it does), the increase is actually substantial by comparison.

epaminondas
Colonel

Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:01 am

It appears I'm more of a mug than I thought. I've just played a turn in which Romania did kick in some cannon fodder. Only 18 points but it's something - and something I didn't pick up when I scanned a saved game for my earlier response. Bulgaria should arrive in three or four turns so I'll attend closely then.

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:19 am

@ Epaminondas, the leader of a popular uprising in Thebes against the Spartans and and one of the seven Boeotarchs,

I'm looking at picking up Cartledge's Thebes: The Forgotten City of Ancient Greece in the hopes of filling a hole in both my knowledge and library.

Have you had a chance to read the book yet? If so, what do you think of it?

Also, would you care to recommend any other titles on Thebes?

Many thanks.

epaminondas
Colonel

Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:12 pm

I don't have a lot to offer I'm afraid. Most of what I know of Theben history was acquired as a swotty teen and I've done very little updating since. I did check out the reviews of Cartledge's tome and it's gone straight onto my Chrisie list.

You've also prompted me to look around online and I came across http://hellenicperiod.blogspot.com/2013 ... hebes.html. It's exactly the sort of thing that got my young mind racing in the first place. The presentation is a bit random and some spelling likewise, but the substance - though highly condensed - is fascinating.

Return to “To End All Wars”