epaminondas
Colonel

Playing with the big boys

Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:30 pm

While I'm waiting for my new installation to prove out - or otherwise - I'd like to try me hand at a little gentle modding. Some of the generals' traits don't match my reading of their histories so I figure that would be a place to start. Can someone please point me to a list of the codes for the various characteristics and the lines I'd need to alter in the scripts?

Not worried about amending the basecode, just flipping traits in existing solo games.

Nikel

Re: Playing with the big boys

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:37 pm

This is what I know:

Before modding (and messing) I'd recommend you to create a second installation of the game.

Look at "\EAW\GameData\Models"

You may open each file with Wordpad.

Example:

1376AUSRudolf Ritter von Brudermann.mdl

The abilities for him are:

Code: Select all

Ability0 = $abiLand_CiC_Book
Ability1 = $abiAustrian-Hungarian
Ability2 = $abiReckless

Add, remove what you may consider. You have to delete the file "Models.Cached" in the same folder for the changes to take effect. It will be created again by the game in the next start.

The abilities in the game are listed in a separate folder in \GameData.

For serious modding and managing of multiple files, I read that this application is better:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Perhaps Bohemond may add some comments.

epaminondas
Colonel

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:41 am

Thanks Nik - that's excellent detail and wise advice. Daunting but wise. Many thanks.

epaminondas
Colonel

Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:28 am

I'm afraid I'm going to make a nuisance of myself, Nik, so please shut me down if this gets tiresome.

When I visit my EAW downloaded location I can't find any sign of "\EAW\GameData\Models". I see only three folders - Logs, Saves, and Scripts - and none of these offer any reference to GameData. Moreover, when I search the EAW folder itself again I find no reference to data.

Clearly, I'm misunderstanding something important here so anything you can offer that points me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Nikel

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:58 am

You are not searching where the game was installed, but where the saves, etc are stored.

In the desktop, where the icon to run the game is.

Right click on it and then click on properties.

Look at the target, it will tell you where the .exe is and then the folder where the game was installed.

epaminondas
Colonel

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 am

Phew - that was a journey. I'd removed the Run Game icon when I raised its Quick Start brother, but was able to backtrack and locate it. Just as you said, there's all the stuff you pointed to. I don't think I have a future in the modding business, but one's reach should exceed one's grasp - or so I've been told.

Again many thanks.

Return to “To End All Wars”