Bargus
Corporal

New player, need naval and diplomacy help

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Hello,

Been lurking for awhile, finally purchased the game. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I've been playing as CP, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with my navy. I know to keep the big fleet in port until an opportunity presents itself, but what do I do with the shipping and blockade boxes? I've tried putting any ships with the little cargo icon into either the Baltic or Med. shipping boxes, and that's been giving me a little income. I've avoided subs in the Atlantic shipping box to dissuade the US from entering.

My question are:
1) what types of ships should I put in which type of boxes? Do I leave the blockade boxes totally empty?
2) What stances (green/green, with "evade" on) in which boxes?
3) Do I leave any ships on the high seas? Like, the German fleet in the Pacific: does it do any good out there? Is it better to bring it to Europe?

And finally, a couple diplomacy questions:
1) Early in my game, the US is at like 88% Central (!) alignment....is it possible (though unlikely) to bring them to the CP side?
2) Can Britain *ever* be kept out more than a couple months?
3) Does the CP have a realistic chance to bring in Italy, or is delaying its joining the WE the best you can hope for?
4) Any chance or value of getting some unusual allies? (e.g., China, Spain, Persia)?

Thanks all! :)

Durk

Re: New player, need naval and diplomacy help

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:02 am

What to do with the navy as CP? Yes, look for an Entente mistake for sure. It is ok to trade as you have been doing. You can take a chance on catching a part of the British fleet with occasional sorties to the blockade box.
Besides these sorties, probably you do not need the blockade box. Both Austria and German can gain some supplies using the shipping boxes.
Besides that, the fleet sits in port or makes an occasion raid in the Atlantic of Baltic.
Because you have a port in the Pacific you can leave your fleet there to try and interrupt troop convoys from India or Australia or New Zealand. The same can be done with your raiders in the South Atlantic by basing them in Africa.

If you are attempting to keep the US neutral, that's about it. If you are ok with US entry, a submarine campaign can be launched with some effect.

No way, in my experience to bring the US in as a CP ally, but you can keep them out of the war.
The Brits are going to fight at some point.
Yes, Italy is well worth the effort. It depends a bit upon which options the Entente selects, but Italy will join the CP.
I like bring in Mexico or Persia. You do get troops, but not too much impact on the game.

Bargus
Corporal

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:03 pm

Thanks, Durk! Using the Pacific/African fleets to interdict British troops is a great idea.

Can anything other than submarines take out Entente merchants in the shipping boxes? If I put cruisers there, can they sink enemy ships? Or do my cruisers only count towards my income?

Thanks again!

Durk

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:26 am

Oh sure, your cruisers can do great damage. Just understand you are now in a cat and mouse game about who moves fleets when and where and keep to base for supply issues. Look especially for your commanders who have a raider traits for your cruisers.

epaminondas
Colonel

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi Bargus, and welcome to the boards.

I don't keep the big fleet in port - I send it to the Baltic to clean out the Russians there. They like to raid into your Baltic shipping box and you can take a decent bite or two out of them by stationing your fleet to intercept them. Further, by mounting amphibious invasions along the coast you can also entice their Baltic fleet to sortie en masse, and since your masse is way bigger than their masse you can then clean them out altogether. That not only allows you maximum supply benefit but also gives you a handy bombardment wallop as you clear the coastline on your way to St Petersburg.

As far as the British go - they can wait. If you stand on the defensive in West you'll have ample time to repair any damage you take against the Russians and look for targets of opportunity as the British supply system suffers from their attempts to break your defences there.

Also, if you do find a way to bring your Pacific fleet to Europe please spell it out for me. I've tried everything short of hiding Spee under my jacket and walking out whistling but found no way to get him out of the Pacific at all.

Bargus
Corporal

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks again, Durk!

Epaminondas: terrorizing the Baltic is a great idea. Thanks! Maybe I got lucky, but I was able to move Spee to the Mediterranean without any trouble; the Brits hadn't entered the war yet and I put him on evade and green/green and just dragged him to the Med. Shipping box. In future games I may leave him in the Pacific to try to catch ANZAC troop convoys, though.

Thanks, all!

epaminondas
Colonel

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:12 am

Brilliant! Thanks Bargus - I've been trying all this time to drag him into sea zones.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:04 am

Regarding Mexico one should keep in mind that trying to influence them will anger the USA. There's an event (Zimmerman Telegraph, I think) that gives the Entente an alignment bonus with the USA if the CP have a diplomat in Mexico.

Return to “To End All Wars”