Straight Arrow
General

Idiots to the Fore

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:40 pm

In a current pbem EAW game, as Germany, I chose the balanced defense starting plan. When first examining my starting forces, I found it surprising how prevalent poor quality officers were. But, I shrugged it off and played on.

Several months into the game, I raised new officers in Berlin and sent a number of fresh, generic 3-1-1s to replace 2-1-1s on the Western front. To my surprise and horror, when the new 3-1-1s officers arrived at their duty stations, they had changed into 2-1-1s.

Closer examination of my Western forces revels that there is not a single, generic, non-portrait, 3-1-1 officer on Germany’s Western front, but there are 21 officers with 2-1-1 abilities.

Is this a bug?

Currently running v 1.04, beta patch 1.02 April 2016

epaminondas
Colonel

Re: Idiots to the Fore

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am

I'm not sure whether this is your issue, Arrow, but as I recall generals drop ability scores when appointed to new commands - I think it's meant to replicate the confusion created by command changes. They should revert to their original levels on the turn following appointment.

general rumbo
Conscript

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 am

ive been playing as germany today all my new officers have many different stats.

Durk

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 am

Conceptually, the default general is a 2-1-1 unlike most other AGEOD games where the default is typically a 3-1-1. This works well as it places a premium on army leadership with corps following in movement and battle.
You will note you have a few excellent army commanders and cavalry leaders. Additionally, do not count out the named leaders and their abilities. These can be important.
EAW does require learning new command coordination with all of these lower quality generals.
And yes, they do all lose an initiative level when taking command, but it is restored.

Altaris

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:20 am

The turn you promote a commander to lead a combined unit, they have their stats reduced by 1, for that turn only. It is indeed temporary.

Straight Arrow
General

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:40 am

Altaris wrote:The turn you promote a commander to lead a combined unit, they have their stats reduced by 1, for that turn only. It is indeed temporary.

Yes, I understand the above, but it had no bearing in this case.

The 3 unattached commanders in question were without orders and 3-1-1s in Berlin. Upon moving to Colmar, Germany, they all became 2-1-1s.

Straight Arrow
General

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:38 am

It was pointed out that my 2-1-1s may of been subordinate to a leader who's poor qualities were lowering the initiative of officers in his command.

So I tested this idea by replacing my Western C in C in an on going game. Boy did I really screwed up. I was sure the new commander had a higher rank, thus there would be no problems or cost.

But, mein Gott, somehow the exchange ending up hitting me with a 8 NM penalty.

Ouch.

epaminondas
Colonel

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:00 am

Gott im himmel. Never do that again!

Return to “To End All Wars”