magnum2016
Private

Schlieffen Plan After The War Starts ?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:46 am

Hi everyone,

So I started my campaign as the Central Powers focusing entirely on the Russian Empire. I had the brunt of the German Armies and Austro-Hungarian Armies march into Russia which has led to me being able to successfully capture Minsk, Warsaw and practically all of Poland by November of 1914.

The Western Front is one of instability and my armies are barely holding on as they are outnumber 5:1 however thanks to their defenses they are holding out. As winter approaches and my offensives in Russia will soon be bogged down I am planning to begin a major offensive in the West with the idea of Declaring war on Belgium and Luxemburg and attempting to pierce deep within french territory.

My question is will this work? I doubt i will be able to capture Paris but will I still be able to atleast get the gains the German Army historically made in 1914?

Durk

Re: Schlieffen Plan After The War Starts ?

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:41 am

Great line of play.
It might work. I have tried this unsuccessfully, but with a lot of progress. My problem is I do not keep NM in control. But as I am abandoning the Schlieffen Plan I am working to make your line of play my successful line of play.

magnum2016
Private

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:59 am

Well my NM is currently 109 thanks to devastating offensives on Russia. My plan is once winter hits I will shift german forces to Serbia and knock them out and then prepare for my invasion of Belgium

Ace

Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:05 am

Doesnt sound promising. If you haven't knocked out Russia from the war, widening frontline in the West won't make you better in the long run while you are still at war in the East. Russians are a dangerous foe if you let them recover.

epaminondas
Colonel

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:51 am

All of what Ace argues and more.

Rather than invading Belgium at this early stage I'd just shift any excess resources to reinforce your border defences. Whatever successes you achieve in Belgium will be bought at the expense of the adverse attack:defence ratio and so amp up your own losses, and unless you manage to take France out will only serve to spread your resources more thinly and provide the Allies with more locations against which they can channel their attacks.

I much prefer a "super-Falkenhayn" approach compelling the Western Allies to burn up more and more manpower and morale trying to break through well established defences judiciously reinforced as required. Belgium and Paris become much more attainable once you've bled them white.

czert2
Brigadier General

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:57 am

full agree, firstly clear off east (russia dont pose a theat and you just spending time moving here to ocuppy territory) or at least minimaly fully conquer serbia, it will free up a LOT of manpower (unless you got here to only contain them with main focus on russia), in that case, firstly knock out russia, the serbia and after it west.

Return to “To End All Wars”