Wonko
Private

Ammunition not pushing to the front lines?

Wed May 17, 2017 11:35 pm

I've gone through all 27 pages of threads, and I still haven't been able to find a good answer to this, I'm hoping you guys can help me out. This is mainly a problem for me with ammunition, but it happens a bit with supply as well. Right now my game just rolled into 1915, I'm playing as CP. Easy supply is OFF.

My depots and cities scattered around Germany and AH always seem to have some ammunition available - at the top of the screen it says I have about 1,000. However, I'm really struggling to keep my front line units with firepower; all my corps have 1 or 2 medium artillery, and my armies all have at least one heavy and a scattering of super-heavy and medium. In W. Europe, where there are depots and rail lines all over the place, why is my ammo not getting up to the front? I move my munitions trains back to depots, and they don't even regularly fill up. So I started railing the empty ones all over Germany, and sometimes it still takes multiple turns to fill them up.

I thought supply lines were effectively infinite across rail lines - what do I have to do to keep my dudes supplied? Do I need to upgrade all my depots to level 2 or 3? I doubt I'm producing that much per turn, but since the tooltip for that at the top of the screen doesn't work, I can't be sure. But I just built my first munitions factory last turn.

Durk

Re: Ammunition not pushing to the front lines?

Fri May 26, 2017 3:02 am

I am not actually sure if this is 'the answer' to your question, but it might just be such. Think of the munition trains operating as supply wagons in other game. This means they draw ammunition to them from depots and cities. So keep at least one with each army and if possible with each corps.
I think this might alleviate your issues.

Husaria
Sergeant

Fri May 26, 2017 5:27 pm

I've struggled with the same problem.

My thoughts are that the artillery units use ammo faster than it pushes itself forward, leaving a deficit of ammo along the supply path.

My solution it to aggressively use the ammo supply units to manually move ammo forward. When an ammo transport unit is empty I'll manually move it myself to a loaded source of ammo in the rear. When it's full I'll manually move it back to an artillery unit.

I'll also purchase extra ammo transport units so that I'm not constantly stripping Corp-level ammo transport units from the Corp formations.

That's my work around, however it is extra work for what seems very slow push-forward of ammo.

Husaria
Sergeant

Fri May 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Wonko:

Rereading your post seems that you are manually managing your munition trains similar to what I have done. It does seem to take several turns for the munition trains to "restock" once they arrive in a loaded depot, however I've found they always do.

Frustrating indeed. I'm not looking for an "easy" ammo situation, however the push forward seems a bit slow. Overall/total ammo supply level should be the real issue, not transport to the front. Transport to the front should be a problem in some areas in WW1, however it seems to to be the only issue. I'm never at a loss for TOTAL ammo supply, just a push forward problem.

Return to “To End All Wars”