epaminondas
Colonel
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:35 pm

Magazines and GHQs

Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:59 am

Just getting my feet under me in the game and I've stumbled across a couple of things. The first is the presence of "magazines" I've come to control in captured cities. I can't find a reference to this particular rose anywhere in the manual but I'm presuming it's a depot by other name - can someone confirm this for me, please?

The other is a particular problem with creating a new GHQ. I'm playing Germany and set about raising Rupprecht to that position but in the process was notified that Hindenburg was in fact next in line and by-passing him would entail a hefty VP hit. So I trot over to Hindenburg but when I tap him I'm informed that there's no-one in the stack eligible for promotion. What am I missing? Any clarification would be much appreciated.

User avatar
Durk
Posts: 2656
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:36 am
Location: Wyoming

Re: Magazines and GHQs

Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:16 am

The magazines you are finding are likely supply depots in former nomenclature if they do not move. If they do move, they are more like supply wagons.
All nations, except Germany, get one GHQ. Germany gets one in the west and one in the east. So get Hindenburg on the eastern front and promote him.

epaminondas
Colonel
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:35 pm

Re: Magazines and GHQs

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks Durk. The magazines are immobile so it's comforting to know that they're depots. The Hindenburg mystery deepens though - he's already on the Eastern Front hanging around Bielestok.

User avatar
Wiggum
Lieutenant
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:33 am
Location: Germany

Re: Magazines and GHQs

Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:13 pm

Durk wrote:The magazines you are finding are likely supply depots in former nomenclature if they do not move. If they do move, they are more like supply wagons.
All nations, except Germany, get one GHQ. Germany gets one in the west and one in the east. So get Hindenburg on the eastern front and promote him.


I hope this gets changed in the next patch so the Western Entente get 2 GHQ's, Central Powers get 3 (one for the Ottomans) and Russia gets also 2.

At the moment this bothers me the most as it limits the numbers of armies you can create.

bob.
General
Posts: 543
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Magazines and GHQs

Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:32 pm

Is Hindenburg combined with some troops? In that case you are not able to promote him. As long as you have only one other German GHQ, I can't think of any other reason why you would not be able to promote him.

About the armies assigned to GHQ, do you really have that many armies? I am not sure how many armies you can assign to a GHQ exactly but I think it is eight or even ten. In my games, I never have more than eight army stacks with each nation.

User avatar
Wiggum
Lieutenant
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:33 am
Location: Germany

Re: Magazines and GHQs

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:10 pm

bob. wrote:Is Hindenburg combined with some troops? In that case you are not able to promote him. As long as you have only one other German GHQ, I can't think of any other reason why you would not be able to promote him.

About the armies assigned to GHQ, do you really have that many armies? I am not sure how many armies you can assign to a GHQ exactly but I think it is eight or even ten. In my games, I never have more than eight army stacks with each nation.


But the Ottomans should for example have their own GHQ, so the central powers need 3. Why would they not have a own GHQ to benefit from ?

epaminondas
Colonel
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:35 pm

Re: Magazines and GHQs

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:42 pm

Thanks for the thought, bob. Hindenburg is commanding an army but since he's the commander (not a subordinate) that doesn't appear to affect the promotion process. I went ahead and promoted Rupprecht anyway, and while he too was commanding an army I had no trouble getting him to answer the call.

I'm wondering whether the circumstances of Hindenburg's arrival might have something to do with the issue. In earlier games he's always superseded Prittwitz the turn the Russians set foot on German soil, but this time round I was able to keep them out of Germany altogether and he arrived a couple(?) of turns later. Maybe it takes heroics at Tannenburg to open him up to promotion.

On the question of how many GHQs should be available, I'm with Wiggum. It's not so much the extra armies that appeal to me but the notion of having a controlling figure for each theatre.

User avatar
Wiggum
Lieutenant
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:33 am
Location: Germany

Re: Magazines and GHQs

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:03 am

epaminondas wrote:On the question of how many GHQs should be available, I'm with Wiggum. It's not so much the extra armies that appeal to me but the notion of having a controlling figure for each theatre.


It would feel much more historical.

+ i hope the next patch fixes the AI so that it no longer sends all those Ottoman generals to the eastern front.

User avatar
Husaria
Sergeant
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:11 pm
Location: Carpathia

Re: Magazines and GHQs

Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:02 am

What is the final determination on what Magazines are in this game?

As the CP I occasionally capture a city and it creates a magazine.

What does it do?

czert2
Brigadier General
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 1:33 am

Re: Magazines and GHQs

Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:24 am

for magazines - is is realy easy, they are depots which store mainly ammunition instead of supply, while normal depost store way more supply than ammo.
for ghq - well, not sure if western entete should have 2 ghq, didnt played them, but why not - one for fance front, second for italian front.
and yes, cp needs 3 ghq - one west, second east, third otomans
and russiabs having tho ghq make sense too, one cp front, second for otomans.

Return to “To End All Wars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests