Commissar Boo!
Conscript

Annoying game breaking feature that needs to be fixed.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:50 am

Simply unreal. I have two Austrian armies deep in my territory, I had them defeated and on the run for several consecutive turns, yet being far away from their supplies and territory they're still full supply, full strength and cohesion. Same goes to German army in East Prussia, They're once again been cut off inside of enemy controlled territory for almost a year now, yet still replenish their supplies and manpower.

elxaime
General

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:47 pm

Commissar Boo! wrote:Simply unreal. I have two Austrian armies deep in my territory, I had them defeated and on the run for several consecutive turns, yet being far away from their supplies and territory they're still full supply, full strength and cohesion. Same goes to German army in East Prussia, They're once again been cut off inside of enemy controlled territory for almost a year now, yet still replenish their supplies and manpower.

Yes, I have noticed this in EAW since release. In all other AGEOD games, especially some recent ones like TYW, lack of access to supply is treated pretty harshly. In EAW, that doesn't seem to be the case for some reason. Hence you have armies "living off the land" like General Sherman of the American Civil War days. Not sure what the issue is, except perhaps the fact that regions are all being considered rich enough to provide intrinsic supply to everyone. Perhaps the Ultimate Mod addresses this. In any case, something to be looked at for a future patch methinks.

Commissar Boo!
Conscript

Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:44 pm

elxaime wrote:Yes, I have noticed this in EAW since release. In all other AGEOD games, especially some recent ones like TYW, lack of access to supply is treated pretty harshly. In EAW, that doesn't seem to be the case for some reason. Hence you have armies "living off the land" like General Sherman of the American Civil War days. Not sure what the issue is, except perhaps the fact that regions are all being considered rich enough to provide intrinsic supply to everyone. Perhaps the Ultimate Mod addresses this. In any case, something to be looked at for a future patch methinks.

They better fix it fast, was so upset, my blood pressure spiked. Need a link to that Ultimate Mod download, one in mod section is dead.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:04 pm

I've seen the same. But if I'm playing advanced supply, it's not the case for me. My Armies quickly run out of supplies unless I'm on a rail line or a city. The entire supply distribution model isn't clear either via UI or manual. The supply filter really doesn't show much, so it's feel like art rather than science. I know its pushing supplies but sometimes it's just very strange how it does it.

Two things to consider.

1) I think the AI is getting a break on supply. The AI operates on creating large kill stacks and hitting seams and flanks and that seems to be pretty much all it does. It doesn't defend very well, doesn't have a real concept of a front to defend. Realizing that, the developers probably realized that the AI would quickly die based on it's current scripting. In a current game with AI, it's trying to take Mulhouse with 3-4 armies though I've pushed deep into France. Silly attack, IMO, but again, all the AI knows how to do. It will be quickly cutoff and die, but I fully believe that those armies will survive for a long time. The AI gets a break.

2) The cities that are being taken. If they have large supply stocks, their forces can be resupplied. If they camp on a city, the city could be producing supply each turn and distributing that supply to the forces.

seathom
Colonel

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:27 am

I agree with vicberg. I feel the alternative is even worse, when the AI goes deep into my territory and dies off from lack of supply. I have started to turn historical attrition off for the AI as it really needs this to make it more competitive. The AI, IMO, does not do a good or even fair job of using replacements correctly or even forming armies very well. I hate the idea of using easy supply for myself as that would make the game too easy and unrealistic (I like to micro-manage). At least your game is simulating the need for garrisons in your rear so you just can't move everything to the front lines.

Ace

Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:22 am

Forgive me if I ask the obvious. Is easy supply turned on in your game? If it is, units will not spend supply (that's begginer setting)

Commissar Boo!
Conscript

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:50 am

Solved. I just briefly switched to other side and dismissed those straggling units, then saved. Instead for going for the next important objective, I wasted almost 6 months of game time chasing after them.

Ace wrote:Forgive me if I ask the obvious. Is easy supply turned on in your game? If it is, units will not spend supply (that's begginer setting)

According to suggestions by generalissimos Vicberg and Seathom, the AI (Animated Ignorance) ends up being even less potent with easy supply. Best not to mess with it. Especially with my Cossacks demolishing all the rail lines, still have to try hard supply option one of these days.

Altaris

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:44 pm

By default Easy Supply is cut on, and armies basically stayed supplied all the time. I've never been a big fan of this, but it's the way the game engine works. Turn Easy Supply off and see if it solves your problem.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Advanced supply is major micro-management because for some strange reason they didn't include 4 element supply and munition trains, unlike CW2, etc....since the supply rules are essentially the same, it means bigger armies using small trains as compared to CW2, etc...

Altaris, you fix this (thank god) in your Ultimate Mod.

Commissar Boo!
Conscript

Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:39 pm

vicberg wrote:Advanced supply is major micro-management because for some strange reason they didn't include 4 element supply and munition trains, unlike CW2, etc....since the supply rules are essentially the same, it means bigger armies using small trains as compared to CW2, etc...

Altaris, you fix this (thank god) in your Ultimate Mod.

Where do I get the ultimate mod? In "Ultimate Enhancement Mod (Beta 2.12 version released!)" thread when I click on download says file is not available anymore.

Pocus

Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:47 am

Easy supply is not completely free supplies... You need to be in or adjacent to a city or depot which are not under siege. Yes, that means that even if surrounded, if you camp in a city you are in supply. But if you get pushed in a region without a structure, you'll die. Make sure of that against your enemy.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 pm

Commissar Boo! wrote:Where do I get the ultimate mod? In "Ultimate Enhancement Mod (Beta 2.12 version released!)" thread when I click on download says file is not available anymore.

Altaris has to re-enable the link to download the mod. Or you can join a new PBEM game we are starting up as France, Turkey or US (which means you will be doing nada until the end) and join our dropbox and I can drop the zip file into it.

paladin333
Private

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:57 pm

I hope we are not going to be forced to buy Gold edition (Altaris mod) next year in order to receive all these fixes. Frankly speaking TEAW is great game but we need a patch for it. Too many small issues not fixed yet, and the most sad not even commented by Devs (excluding Altaris), but does he have a power to roll out a patch?

Altaris

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:58 am

It hasn't been commented on because the solution is listed in the post... turn off Easy Supply. Easy Supply was added into AGEOD games during Cw2 as a way to ease the learning curve. By default this option is on, you have to cut it off in the options page.

If anyone is still experiencing this situation with Easy Supply turned off, please post save and I will investigate further.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:49 pm

paladin333 wrote:I hope we are not going to be forced to buy Gold edition (Altaris mod) next year in order to receive all these fixes. Frankly speaking TEAW is great game but we need a patch for it. Too many small issues not fixed yet, and the most sad not even commented by Devs (excluding Altaris), but does he have a power to roll out a patch?

Devs are responding. Found a possible issue with a failed Regional Decision Card. The devs looked at it and responded. They are working hard on Napoleon game, but this game hasn't been forgotten in the process.

The issue with the endless supply for deep penetrations, which started this thread, was due to easy supply being turned on. Turn it off and those troops would have died quickly.

Pocus

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:45 am

I did answer indeed and provided a cause for the problem. What do you want more Paladin333? So far we know of no bug in the supply system.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “To End All Wars”