ajarnlance
General of the Army

Question on commerce raiding...

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:46 pm

Am I limited to just using subs to raid commerce in the shipping boxes? Or can I use torpedo boats, destroyers etc... ??
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

TXcavalier
Corporal

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:49 pm

ajarnlance wrote:Am I limited to just using subs to raid commerce in the shipping boxes? Or can I use torpedo boats, destroyers etc... ??

Surface ships can raid commerce. Light Cruisers are very good at it. Their speed makes them hard to catch.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:53 pm

TXcavalier wrote:Surface ships can raid commerce. Light Cruisers are very good at it. Their speed makes them hard to catch.

Excellent... thanks for the tip!
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

TXcavalier
Corporal

Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:09 am

I should have mentioned this earlier in case you didn't already know. Ships in smaller units are more difficult to detect. I think that applies to blockade boxes as well. My raiders are spread out individually on green/green and evade combat to make them as stealthy as possible.

Projekt Pasha
Sergeant

Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:12 am

Moreover Light cruisers provide sea supply due to being tiny transports. get enough of them in a blockade box and you can give the entente a nasty surprise, they usually aren't expecting amphibious invasions. :)
Current Russian player in the third Paradox OT Forums Mass AAR.

Former Ottoman Player in the first Paradox Forums TEAW Mass Multiplayer AAR. Victor of Tripoli, Tyr, and Xanthi. Defender of the Holy Cities of Jerusalem, Mecca, and Medinah. Conqueror of Kuwait and Kitchener. Bane of the British and Sword of the House of Osman.

Militant confederate in my spare time. :neener:

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:19 am

TXcavalier wrote:I should have mentioned this earlier in case you didn't already know. Ships in smaller units are more difficult to detect. I think that applies to blockade boxes as well. My raiders are spread out individually on green/green and evade combat to make them as stealthy as possible.

So small groups, single ships even, sounds like the way to go. Are there particular leader traits that are good for raiders?

DrPostman

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:00 pm

There is a commerce raider trait for several naval leaders.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

marek1978
Colonel

Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:33 pm

What would be the best answer for entente? One big stack or few of them? Active or pasive posture?

DrPostman

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 pm

marek1978 wrote:What would be the best answer for entente? One big stack or few of them? Active or pasive posture?

Not sure what you are asking here. AFAIK the Entente didn't conduct commerce
raiding. They attacked some CP shipping but that was in order to keep up a
blockade.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

marek1978
Colonel

Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:26 am

DrPostman wrote:Not sure what you are asking here. AFAIK the Entente didn't conduct commerce
raiding. They attacked some CP shipping but that was in order to keep up a
blockade.

What i wanted to know is how Entente can limmit losses caused by comercial raiders and ubots and how to fight them

Altaris

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:52 am

Placing cruisers and destroyers in the Shipping Boxes will drastically curtail the amount of losses suffered from submarines. The higher the level of Western Entente ASW tech, the more the reduction.

Return to “To End All Wars”