Emx77

Ammo distribution

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:59 am

I'm playing Western Front 1914 scenario (ver. 1.01 RC7) and apparently I have problem with ammo distribution. Most of my formations in Belgium have 0% ammo. It seems nothing is coming in. For example, during last turn, tooltip for Liege says: "Supply stocks: 812 (+113) / 9 (+0)". All other cities west of Liege have 0 (+0) ammo. Current overall ammo level is at 679 (it was steadily increasing since beginning of scenario) and icons on supply overlay map are showing ammo is stockpiled in rear German cites. Rail lines are intact and I have military control in all provinces. Also, general supply is transported without problems. Where is problem with ammo distribution?

Map supply overlay

Highlandcharge

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi Emx77...

Normal ammo like rifle and light field artillery shells are included with normal supply... heavy ammo AFAIK has to be moved to the front by ammo trains to represent the stockpiling of heavy shells for big offensives and such.. move your empty ammo train back to a German city to be refilled, then send them back to the the front...

Kensai

Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Ammo should be propagating as well between depots, but given it is far lower in quantity it is difficult to see, let alone stash in numbers. The propagation algorithm sends supplies and ammo to all depots that ask for it. But if you see, the production of ammo in your capital (Berlin) and the few other cities which have the unique structures to produce ammo (CTRL+City to city) are really sparse. You definitely need to send manually your "ammo stacks" back to the cities which have ammo to replenish. Don't even attempt to send them all at one city, it will probably not be enough.

Each mobile ammo stack has some 80 supply capacity, in the beginning most cities will not have more than 30-40. For example, Bülow's 2nd Army which uses a lot of ammo due to the super heavy artillery will need to send his ammo stacks quickly to the rears. Send the 4 carts as four independent units in 4 different cities that you will have controlled beforehand (supply line filter) they have enough ammo stashed.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Mac Linehan
Private

Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:24 am

Gents-

I am the French in a full Western Front Scenario. My Escadre Antilles at Dakar will need ammo to stay in business. Dakar has a size 5 Naval Base; and should produce 5 ammo per turn (if I am reading the rules correctly).

Also:

Still very early in the game (1914 early October); can my transports load an ammo train (as with an infantry division or Corps) and move it to a distant base not on the main map?

Thank You for your help. I will learn more as I go along; am having a blast.

Mac

Altaris

Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:14 pm

Ammo supplies are tough to manage in 1914, as it historically occurred for all nations involved. The best way to ensure munitions are where they need to be is using Munitions Trains units. When these get low on munition stockpiles, you can rail them back to depots in your home nation to refill if need be.

Mac Linehan
Private

Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Thank You for your help, Sir!

Mac

Sir Garnet

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Up to what distance can units and supply train draw supply and what is the minimum percentage of control needed in region for it to flow?

The manual mentions that adjacent works for wagons, but despite the lower ground scale it doesn't seem like supply flows very far between big city/depot. Because Europe is densely populated, it is hard to analyze what's happening, but also noticeable when supply does not seem to be making it.

Need wastes and deserts to really see exactly where supply is going.

Jim-NC

Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:59 am

Supply should need 25% (if it hasn't changed). Distance should still be 5 (was that in earlier games).

With that noted, ammo has a tough time moving across the map (low priority, and low quantities vs. supply). So you need to move the ammo wagons back to base to get the ammo to the front.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sir Garnet

Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:02 am

Thanks - I was expecting it would be like the preceding games for supply chains having some range, but the manual does not mention that.

I understand the munitions prepositioning idea and think that adds to the game in terms of properly preparing an offensive.

Byrd
Lieutenant

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:08 pm

I usually dump an Ammo factory or two (different for each faction) close to the front. That usually helps to speed things up.

Return to “To End All Wars”