Taciturn Scot
Sergeant

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:50 am

Ah, the alternative history debate again. :cool: I've seen some real blood shed in discussions like this on other boards and for what? Sure, it's a lot of fun to speculate what might have happened if, but somebody always has to go and stop the fun by taking it all too seriously. The soon as you open this particular Pandora's box, you expose yourself to the truly fantastic world of utterly implausible outcomes. Sure, if the Germans had gone East instead of West in 1914, it could all have turned out so differently and our game can allow us what might have been if we exclude the implausible. But then the Kaiser might have choked to death on a fruit seed in May 1915 or Haig might have blown a major blood vessel in his brain pushing too hard to have a dump on 21st Sep 1915. :bonk:

Real history is replete with implausible outcomes that it should serve to remind us that cold logic and statistics compiled after the event don't always determine the final outcome. True, the general shape might be the same, i.e. the CPs lose WW1 but who knows, perhaps if Sergeant Welsh of the 1st Foot and Mouth had had enough toilet paper in the latrine that morning, he might have been more on his game and not missed the young Austrian soldier scrambling in no-man's-land that afternoon because his butt was itching and distracted his shot.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Taciturn Scot wrote:Ah, the alternative history debate again. :cool: I've seen some real blood shed in discussions like this on other boards and for what? Sure, it's a lot of fun to speculate what might have happened if, but somebody always has to go and stop the fun by taking it all too seriously. The soon as you open this particular Pandora's box, you expose yourself to the truly fantastic world of utterly implausible outcomes. Sure, if the Germans had gone East instead of West in 1914, it could all have turned out so differently and our game can allow us what might have been if we exclude the implausible. But then the Kaiser might have choked to death on a fruit seed in May 1915 or Haig might have blown a major blood vessel in his brain pushing too hard to have a dump on 21st Sep 1915. :bonk:

Well said, sir. One mustn't take it too seriously - we're playing a game about it after all - it's all good fun until someone blows a major blood vessel, so to speak.

Real history is replete with implausible outcomes that it should serve to remind us that cold logic and statistics compiled after the event don't always determine the final outcome. True, the general shape might be the same, i.e. the CPs lose WW1 but who knows, perhaps if Sergeant Welsh of the 1st Foot and Mouth had had enough toilet paper in the latrine that morning, he might have been more on his game and not missed the young Austrian soldier scrambling in no-man's-land that afternoon because his butt was itching and distracted his shot.

If only the British and German armies had adopted Yankee-style toilet paper rations, there would have been no Hitler.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Kensai

Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:29 pm

One thing is certain. If the Germans had won, we could have a scenario such as the "Drang Nach Osten" in Revolution Under Siege. I love that scenario! :)
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:04 pm

Kensai wrote:One thing is certain. If the Germans had won, we could have a scenario such as the "Drang Nach Osten" in Revolution Under Siege. I love that scenario! :)

*gasp* can RUS and EAW be ever connected? To create a monster of a campaign? :)

Return to “To End All Wars”