fredrikvollan
Private

Defeated at the Gates of Paris

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 am

My Schlieffen Plan has come to an abrupt end at the very gates of Paris. A total disaster and one that von Moltke is bound to answer for...

[IMG=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/661/1xnp6e.jpg][/IMG]

Kensai

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:32 am

Looks that you pushed too hard (all regions around Paris seem under French control, meaning supply lines are closed) with relatively few troops. Is it only the First Armee there? The date is remarkable though!! :w00t:

I don't think everything is lost, but you need to reopen those lines behind you. Bring in the Second and Third Armies, if possible. Try to entrench in the region of Paris to keep the siege going.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

fredrikvollan
Private

Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:40 am

It's over. Was the first armee along with the guards corps. 2nd army was busy with the british and 3rd army was repulsed near Sedan with horrible losses. Deleted the save game :)

Kensai

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:19 am

R.I.P.. It's a shame though, never delete a save game (in rage). Your game could have been a great point for a playing challenge!
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Shri

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:33 am

Hey why did you delete it after a perfect march to Paris? well, anyway better luck next time.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:59 am

You should have secured at least one of the two railway lines (Lille-Amiens-Paris or Douay-St.Quentin-Paris). For the siege you also need Compiegne so you dont have to cross the Seine. Etc
Nice try, but the way you did it you just assisted the AI get your two armies encircled and destroyed.

Forezjohn
Corporal

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:35 pm

fredrikvollan wrote:It's over. Was the first armee along with the guards corps. 2nd army was busy with the british and 3rd army was repulsed near Sedan with horrible losses. Deleted the save game :)

You played like a stereotype of french general.
"l'intendance suivra" : supply will follow(one way or another, or maybe not eventualy) ;) .

Florent

Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:37 pm

Each army has to look on the flanks of other armies with right flank having more to walk but is also the stronger wing.

Here it looks more like a Panzer breakthrough but too dangerously extended.

fredrikvollan
Private

Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:28 pm

The march on Paris last turn was from Amiens. The Entente just reoccupied the city. Yes, I regret deleting the save game. Was going to try and save my army but raaaaaaaaaaaaage got the better of me :)

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:26 pm

Next time. Recovering from a setback can be very interesting in this game, because the AI makes the same mistakes.
That is to say that I saw the BEF also hanging by a thread in your screenshot, waiting for destruction. That would have more than made up your setback before Paris.

The situation also was very favorable. Your mistake was just that you were too impatient. Before I attack a heavily fortified city I always make sure that I can take it. If I am not certain, I always wait and instead block any important position I can get (major cities, railroads, river crossings, mountainous areas). I have often completely encircled a major fortress like Paris for several months without attacking, and the larger the force gets inside, the better.
In your case the enemy forces were not nearly weakened enough. Instead of ragequit you should have just retreated to Amiens, forgot about Paris and concentrated on annihilating the BEF and you would have probably succeeded.

Return to “To End All Wars”