Florent

Russian Player

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:22 am

Did a Russian player end his Campaign ? What is your experience ?

It seems that i lost a campaign in April 1917 with plenty of Bolshevik flags around.

My experience is : Frustration, Anger and Disgusted. :mad:

It seems that or i have the feeling that all is scripted whatever you do. Something of a System is applicated COLDLY or STUPIDLY against the Russian Player.

I raged a rather successful war in 14 and 15 taking all of East Prussia but Königsberg but you lose NM points rapidly despite success.
Mid 1915 i lost Erevan and Kars and later Belgrad and lost again plenty of NM points and then rapidly in 1916 20 points in my face regularily from 67 to 27 and then 0 = Game Over.

Before the Mutiny of my troops all the attacks against mother-Russia had been defeated and Warsaw, Lublin, Lodz are still in my hands.

I have taken town like Thorn, Glogau not in Russia, besieging Edirne, Constantinople, ONE AREA away from Budapest, Olmutz ( Brunn taken etc...
THUS a rather Victorious War if not a Stalemate...

Thus i got Historical Result ( but i have chosen Historical scenario) but with better RESULTS and the GREATEST FEARs of BOLCHEVIK => A Victoriuos WAR.

For the same RESULT the Historical Russian/EE had lost Belgrad, Warsaw, Lodz, Kowno, and a huge superficy in 1916 and Riga later => we can understand why a revolution happened.

Is the ammunition system working ? i have accumulated more than 900 and the mouse indicates ammo but with no text.

Kensai

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:38 pm

Seems pretty historical and accurate to me. You were besieging (or were [sic] one area away of) objective regions, not controlling them. It is not scripted to lose, but even by simply reading the manual you deduce that Russia has to be continuously successful if it doesn't want to implode.

I am curious why did you go against the Ottomans so vigorously, instead of Wien or Berlin? How did the West Front go?
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Ace

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:53 pm

I had quite success as the Russians. It puzzles me why did you loose so much NM. There is no scripted Russian surrender. But you have to keep its NM above 75. If you plummet below 75, inside turmoil will hurt you by NM penalties every turn until it plummets to revolution numbers.

Kensai

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:56 pm

The CP could also play the Rasputin and Lenin "cards" (decisions). These could speed up Russia's downfall. Not sure if the AI did it in your case.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

Florent

Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:04 pm

" I am curious why did you go against the Ottomans so vigorously, instead of Wien or Berlin? How did the West Front go?"

I did nothing against the Ottomans except sending a Corps + 2 or 3 Divisions to help the Romanians. The forces were concentrated in the West against the Austrians and Germans breaking their offensives against Lodz, Kowvno or Warsaw and Ivangorod and counterattacking toward Glogau, Thorn etc...

Make no mistakes i love this game, it is fantastically done graphically and plenty of good cards but to me you can't be successful and got a Revolution.

I have started a CP Campaign right now and i can understand some of the problems and they come from the Card unlocked too fast and need more conditions for Tzar takes command and so on.

You should look carefully of what happened in 1915 and 1916 then 1917 to unlock the Cards. And there is a relation to the loss of towns like Warsaw, Lodz, Ivangorod and the Great german offensives.

But as it is raging a war in the Carpathes, Germany and hungary is a rather successful war and the worst nightmare of Bolsheviks.

I'm french and a good part of WW1 was done on french territory, in my game only Kars and Erevan were taken...

Kensai

Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:58 pm

Understood, some things definitely not count up, but if you did not take the most important objectives you were not actually winning. Russia has a very difficult game after a while. You need to be constantly accruing victories to offset this rather unpopular war.

After v1.01 comes out, I want to be doing a good PBEM with some of the most disgruntled players. We are gonna have tons of fun and dismiss most of the AI disappointments! :)
Großdeutschland Mod

HerrDan

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Kensai wrote:Understood, some things definitely not count up, but if you did not take the most important objectives you were not actually winning. Russia has a very difficult game after a while. You need to be constantly accruing victories to offset this rather unpopular war.

After v1.01 comes out, I want to be doing a good PBEM with some of the most disgruntled players. We are gonna have tons of fun and dismiss most of the AI disappointments! :)

Haha! Kensai you're great, I gotta love see you kicking some disgruntled players aarses :bonk:
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Florent

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 pm

The AI is not so bad and actually build a front, stacked and concentrates on objectives like Lemberg and defended them to the end and other objectives. The AI defends the threatened objectives and so on. I'm not disappointed by the IA.

HerrDan

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Florent wrote:The AI is not so bad and actually build a front, stacked and concentrates on objectives like Lemberg and defended them to the end and other objectives. The AI defends the threatened objectives and so on. I'm not disappointed by the IA.

Very good to read it, I know it actually does, the more realistic you play the better the AI is going to react. :)

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

Kensai

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:12 pm

HerrDan wrote:Haha! Kensai you're great, I gotta love see you kicking some disgruntled players aarses :bonk:

Heh, thanks, but there is no guarantee whatsoever I will win. There are many many more experienced players than myself. But I bet I can dig out more bugs, possibly some happening only when 3 human players press the game to its limits! :D
Großdeutschland Mod

HerrDan

Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:33 pm

Kensai wrote:Heh, thanks, but there is no guarantee whatsoever I will win. There are many many more experienced players than myself. But I bet I can dig out more bugs, possibly some happening only when 3 human players press the game to its limits! :D

I'd love to play a game with you one day, but the problem is that we'd probably want choose the same faction haha. :)

Kensai

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:03 am

I don't play Central Powers only. I play all three of them. However, I indeed did most of my bug hunting and beta testing with CP. All three factions have interesting aspects that can provide for a very interesting and rewarding game though. The Russians are great to learn the game cause you (1) have one front, (2) little naval involvement, (3) have the initiative, at least in the beginning, to attack and take the war to the enemy while you learn about supply lines, etc, (4) need to learn how to improve your war machine, recruiting artillery, etc, (5) understand how important losses in national morale can make you crumble.
Großdeutschland Mod

HerrDan

Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:44 am

Kensai wrote:I don't play Central Powers only. I play all three of them. However, I indeed did most of my bug hunting and beta testing with CP. All three factions have interesting aspects that can provide for a very interesting and rewarding game though. The Russians are great to learn the game cause you (1) have one front, (2) little naval involvement, (3) have the initiative, at least in the beginning, to attack and take the war to the enemy while you learn about supply lines, etc, (4) need to learn how to improve your war machine, recruiting artillery, etc, (5) understand how important losses in national morale can make you crumble.

So, I think that we can then schedule a match someday in the future. I love to play CP and barely played the others, but I liked to play EE a lot, it's tons of fun to manage those huge armies and crush the austrians so that the germans have to rescue them ;) . WE is probably the one I like the less in comparisson with the others as the time is by your side, unlike the other two factions. We'd just need a third player to kick in. :)

Cheers mate. (I hope you can forgive me for the outburst of anger I sometimes have, I'm a somewhat passional man, but I know how to judge well the guys who really contribute to this envioriment of AGEOD and you're centaily one of the top :) )

Shri

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:13 am

Hey guys, count me in for PBEM if i get- CP or EE. these are the 2 interesting factions.

WE is a bit more for players who prefer the slow build-up, naval and more and more complexities as it has a lot of fronts to manage.
On the plus side- WE is a side that cannot lose in general (a decent player should win in general), as you have 2 powerful groups, enough Gold and WSU and only problem is starting ammo and the transport ships in the 2 blockade boxes.
On the other hand you have powerful events to cripple CP like- Tomas Masyrk and 14 points (once USA comes); excellent chance to grab NM in 1914 with Plan XVII, Good chance to recover NM with - Clemenceau etc.

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:00 am

Well since this is turning into a game matchup, count me in too :) but it's a hard preference for EE for me. Genealogical reasons

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:52 pm

I am looking forward to playing the EE against a human opponent as well - has anyone had PBEM experience with them yet? I imagine they would be a real challenge if the CP targets them first.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Ace

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:22 pm

Actually, if Russian player adopts scorched earth policy, CP player would have tough time advancing East and containing West.
In PBEM,CP player is facing tough odds.

Kensai

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:56 pm

I was thinking, a brilliant PBEM could even have more than 3 players if those players playing the same side could agree on dividing some aspects (money, resources, responsibilities in certain theaters). Just as an example: I could play Austria-Hungary and HerrDan Germany. Just saying, obviously, most people are too jealous of their "game", but this approach could actually abstract even better the hardships of coordinating. :D

No worries, we are too many, I bet many potential 3 combinations will be found so no need to resort to the above!
Großdeutschland Mod

Wallensteinwojtek
Private

Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:03 pm

New thread - PBEM Player Wanted?

Merlin
General

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:00 pm

Kensai wrote:I was thinking, a brilliant PBEM could even have more than 3 players if those players playing the same side could agree on dividing some aspects (money, resources, responsibilities in certain theaters). Just as an example: I could play Austria-Hungary and HerrDan Germany. Just saying, obviously, most people are too jealous of their "game", but this approach could actually abstract even better the hardships of coordinating. :D

No worries, we are too many, I bet many potential 3 combinations will be found so no need to resort to the above!

We're actually doing that on the Paradox Interactive forums. We have 12 players, though some are obviously waiting for nations to enter the war. We'll copy/paste the AAR threads over here when the AAR forum is opened to the community.

The easiest way to do it is like so: You have three faction leaders. The hosting player gets everyone's email and the factions have the email of everyone in the faction. You establish an order of play, and the host sends the .hst to the last active member in each faction's order of play. That player issues orders for his nation, saves, and then forwards the .hst and .ord, along with any build/decision/RGD/diplo request, to the next player in the order of play, and so on. The faction leader then balances the requests and replacements as best as he can and sends the final .ord to the host. Obviously, this whole process is expedited by having a common forum thread for each faction.

It's slow going, but fun.

Kensai

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Sounds brilliant to me! Congrats!! Will definitely check it out! :)
Großdeutschland Mod

HerrDan

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:09 pm

Kensai wrote:I was thinking, a brilliant PBEM could even have more than 3 players if those players playing the same side could agree on dividing some aspects (money, resources, responsibilities in certain theaters). Just as an example: I could play Austria-Hungary and HerrDan Germany. Just saying, obviously, most people are too jealous of their "game", but this approach could actually abstract even better the hardships of coordinating. :D

I loved this idea Kensai! :D I see no problem in that, it would be very cool indeed to play with you in the same faction :)

Ace

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:19 pm

Why don't we setup 5 players multiplayer?

nemethand
Colonel

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Well, I would actually love to try that. One of the main benefits of PoN, at least in my opinion, is the multiplayer option. I much more prefer multiplayer games then 2 player ones. (Thus, was sort of sad when it turned out that EAW is designed for 3 players.)

The thinking and planning together, with possible misunderstanding and also own little agendas :wacko: makes a multiplayer PBEM more interesting for me.

Anyway, if you guys setting one up, I would be happy to join.

HerrDan

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Ace wrote:Why don't we setup 5 players multiplayer?

So, what about starting it?

Ace

Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:51 pm

I'll post a thread in the PBEM section.

Wallensteinwojtek
Private

Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:24 am

Please do AAR.

Return to “To End All Wars”