gwgardner
Brigadier General

finding generals

Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:30 am

When told that a general is promotable, but another general has seniority, I go looking for that other general to compare stats. Takes a while, sometimes. Is there an easy way to find a specific general?

DrPostman

Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:08 am

To to the roster and go down the list of generals, find his name, and
then click on the flag on the far left of that line.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

turska
Conscript

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:45 am

Yes, make things clickable on that event list window. Specially at first before learning the map its pain to locate things. Like when you build units and forgot where you built them. For example unit A is finished at OberlausitzShnithzel and then i use google maps to get general location where that place is.

Or make find a province-button.

Nico165
Lieutenant

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:53 am

turska wrote:Yes, make things clickable on that event list window. Specially at first before learning the map its pain to locate things. Like when you build units and forgot where you built them. For example unit A is finished at OberlausitzShnithzel and then i use google maps to get general location where that place is.

Or make find a province-button.

Click on the little icon on the left of the event, it will center the map on the province.

gotrek
Corporal

Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:00 pm

how do you sort generals by seniority? Playing CP with an alternate war plan, I want to nominate a GHq for the West but can't find a suitable 3* general for the role, the roster seems very unwieldy for this.

DrPostman

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:26 pm

gotrek wrote:how do you sort generals by seniority? Playing CP with an alternate war plan, I want to nominate a GHq for the West but can't find a suitable 3* general for the role, the roster seems very unwieldy for this.

Click on the column listing the rank. It will sort it by seniority and
then by stack w/most senior.

Kensai

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Are you sure? It seems to be ranking them according to attributes (strategic-offensive-defensive), not rank.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

DrPostman

Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Kensai wrote:Are you sure? It seems to be ranking them according to attributes (strategic-offensive-defensive), not rank.

Admittedly I'm not sure.

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Kensai wrote:Are you sure? It seems to be ranking them according to attributes (strategic-offensive-defensive), not rank.

It's unclear to me too. At least it puts all the generals in one place.

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:10 am

DrPostman wrote:To to the roster and go down the list of generals, find his name, and
then click on the flag on the far left of that line.

I've never found such a list of generals. Where is it? I see a list of unit names. Most often a unit is not named for the general. Sorry, I guess I'm dense. Please advise.

DrPostman

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:52 am

It's on the first page of the ledger

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 am

It does not say general. You can sort by forces led by a general, but I see nothing that states "General by name".

And I think it is kind of a weakness that a general might not be on the field (not bought yet) and still might be angered if you promote someone that has been fighting.
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

Reiryc

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:55 am

gwgardner wrote:When told that a general is promotable, but another general has seniority, I go looking for that other general to compare stats. Takes a while, sometimes. Is there an easy way to find a specific general?

No easy way to find a specific general im afraid.

Would also like the ability to see who is promotable if you don't read or miss seeing who is eligible for promotion.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Reiryc wrote:No easy way to find a specific general im afraid.

Would also like the ability to see who is promotable if you don't read or miss seeing who is eligible for promotion.

It would be nice if there was a button in the F1 screen that said, "List all Generals on the field". With filters to filter out nationalities. You could have a list all generals and then be able to filter by "on field" or "not on field".

Right now, I have a general I want to promote but the general that will be angered is still in the pool.
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

Reiryc

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:52 pm

H Gilmer3 wrote:It would be nice if there was a button in the F1 screen that said, "List all Generals on the field". With filters to filter out nationalities. You could have a list all generals and then be able to filter by "on field" or "not on field".

Right now, I have a general I want to promote but the general that will be angered is still in the pool.

agreed... don't know if it's a priority at this moment, but would also like to see something along those lines.

Personally, i'm less concerned about who gets mad, but more concerned with who I can promote to 3 star to make an army. Sometimes I'm lazy and I just don't feel like going through all the messages to see who is promotable and would like to know from a simple screen the ranks, seniority and whether a general can be promoted among other stats.

bgt0990
Conscript

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Even knowing who is promotable doesn't help because you need to know who has the most seniority. The tooltip only gives you the next in line, not the top of the heap which is what you really need. Also it seems that Austrian 3 star generals are considered in the German chain of seniority so to make a second German army you have to take the penalty since the Austrian is next in line. Not right.

Lazytiger
Conscript

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:04 am

bgt0990 wrote:Even knowing who is promotable doesn't help because you need to know who has the most seniority. The tooltip only gives you the next in line, not the top of the heap which is what you really need. Also it seems that Austrian 3 star generals are considered in the German chain of seniority so to make a second German army you have to take the penalty since the Austrian is next in line. Not right.

I agree, but even worse: Sometimes the officers who "feel passed over" are not even eligible for promotion themselves. So you can only take the VP hit or not promote anyone at all. And in another case in my current game, the officer feeling passed over was not even in the game, but sitting happily in my pool. I had no way to promote him even if I wanted to.

This is clearly not working correctly. But honestly, except adding a little RPG flavor I don't see a real point in the whole mechanism.

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:20 am

turska wrote:Like when you build units and forgot where you built them. For example unit A is finished at OberlausitzShnithzel and then i use google maps to get general location where that place is.

LOL. Especially since the town had different names during the Austrian period. I have not not even managed to locate Kattowice on the map, but located a town called Königshütte where it should be.

kellygold
Civilian

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:43 am

Very useful for me. General thank you.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:26 pm

Lazytiger wrote:I agree, but even worse: Sometimes the officers who "feel passed over" are not even eligible for promotion themselves. So you can only take the VP hit or not promote anyone at all. And in another case in my current game, the officer feeling passed over was not even in the game, but sitting happily in my pool. I had no way to promote him even if I wanted to.

This is clearly not working correctly. But honestly, except adding a little RPG flavor I don't see a real point in the whole mechanism.

The part where a general not being available to be promoted being angry - that is working as intended because that has been the case for every Ageod/Athena game I have ever had. There was always a "cost" in vps and sometimes national morale. I'm sure it's to simulate a general that yes, has seniority, but has no accomplishment to his name, and yet still illogically demands he be promoted over someone more deserving. I think we know there are plenty of instances of that, in peace time and war time. It's human nature for people undeserving still thinking they deserve to be promoted over someone else.

The part where a general is still in the pool and you have no control over which ones come from the pool when you buy them with the decision card, well, that seems a little restrictive, a little arbitrary, a little off for me.

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:03 pm

H Gilmer3 wrote:no accomplishment to his name, and yet still illogically demands he be promoted over someone more deserving.

Says you!
lol

That's part of the whole idea behind "seniority". Your obvious bias toward meritocracy is exactly the reason that the General(s) become upset!
:)

Offworlder
General

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:22 pm

On the issue of Generals, I find that their numbers are quite limited, even the usual 3-1-1 or 2-1-1 level ones intended for corps command. If there were shortages during WWI, it surely didn't concern generals! :w00t: Maybe we need to add heftily to their numbers, possibly through the beginning of the year promotion exercise. Also, I think the cost is rather steep to hire the 'off the board' generals, especially when there is the possibility of getting a lot of duds or generals suited for colonial employment which are next to useless (especially for AH which is quite perplexing actually).

stormbringer3
Sergeant

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:08 pm

IMO the ledger for generals was a lot more user friendly in my older AGEOD titles. You could easily sort them by name or rank and if they were able to be promoted they flashed red.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:37 pm

stormbringer3 wrote:IMO the ledger for generals was a lot more user friendly in my older AGEOD titles. You could easily sort them by name or rank and if they were able to be promoted they flashed red.

Agreed!

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:38 pm

ohms_law wrote:Says you!
lol

That's part of the whole idea behind "seniority". Your obvious bias toward meritocracy is exactly the reason that the General(s) become upset!
:)

I'm definitely a fanboi of meritocracy!!! Nepotism and Seniority be damned!!!

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:52 pm

stormbringer3 wrote:IMO the ledger for generals was a lot more user friendly in my older AGEOD titles. You could easily sort them by name or rank and if they were able to be promoted they flashed red.

H Gilmer3 wrote:Agreed!

+2

stormbringer3
Sergeant

Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Lets hope that in a future patch the developers will bring back the old style.

deguerra
Major

Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:06 am

Not to bang on about this too much again, as this issue has been my little crusade ever since it was changed in RUS, but the AACW (Civil War 1) game had a wonderful ledge as far as looking for generals was concerned. If we could combine that plus some of the suggestions here (see easily whether promotable etc) as a new part of the otherwise much improved ledger, I think it would solve this, admittedly minor, issue.

Lazytiger
Conscript

Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:54 pm

H Gilmer3 wrote:The part where a general not being available to be promoted being angry - that is working as intended .... I'm sure it's to simulate a general that yes, has seniority, but has no accomplishment to his name, and yet still illogically demands he be promoted over someone more deserving.

If I take a national morale hit when promoting officer A over officer B, officer B should be promotable as well. He is a well known, high ranking officer, isn't he? Why else should my armies take a morale hit, if I promote A instead? Apart from this I am the Kaiser. I promote he arse of my horse if I wish to. A gigantic morale hit granted.

If working as intended, it is a very stupid mechanism in an absolutely brilliant game (given the stack of doom nonsense can be patched out of Athena's brain...).

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:19 pm

It models the fact that you (the Kaiser, in your case) wouldn't "promote [the] arse of my horse if I wish to" without good reason. That you're still able to with a cost is a good thing, but the cost is there to keep you from going crazy with it.

You're right, the Kaiser (or the Presidents of France or the United States, or the King of England) could theoretically promote whomever they want, but in practice there are (a lot of) rules to be followed. Many, if not all, nations have limits on how many General officers can be at any one rank at any particular point in time, as well.

Return to “To End All Wars”