gotrek
Corporal

when do minor nations abandon the war?

Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:11 pm

Playing as EE I hve invaded bulgaria with a romanian/serb push and taken Sofia as well as most bulgarian major cities. I am now sitting in Edirne a stone throw from constantinople...shouldn't bulgaria give up by now? When do they surrender?

Reiryc

Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:19 pm

gotrek wrote:Playing as EE I hve invaded bulgaria with a romanian/serb push and taken Sofia as well as most bulgarian major cities. I am now sitting in Edirne a stone throw from constantinople...shouldn't bulgaria give up by now? When do they surrender?

I believe it's on page 74ish of the manual.

In a nutshell, when the rebels get over 80%, then each 1% over 80% will give 1% chance of the nation withdrawing from the war. So if my math is right, the most you can get on any particular turn is 100% rebels causing a 20% chance that turn for the nation to withdraw from the war.

gotrek
Corporal

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:31 pm

Reiryc wrote:I believe it's on page 74ish of the manual.

In a nutshell, when the rebels get over 80%, then each 1% over 80% will give 1% chance of the nation withdrawing from the war. So if my math is right, the most you can get on any particular turn is 100% rebels causing a 20% chance that turn for the nation to withdraw from the war.

Thanks for explanations.

As you can see in my screenshot the number of rebels is pretty low, but Bulgaria's fighting power is down to breadcrumbs. It seems a bit unrealistic that they keep fighting as a token force for the turks.
[ATTACH]30264[/ATTACH]
whilst I'm here, how comes the state funds are so low for Russia? I conquer pretty big objective towns but get about 280 SF per turn only and there is just one decision to make more cash as opposed to all the options AACW2 gave in that respect.
Attachments
bulgaria.jpg

Reiryc

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Don't know why they are so low for russia... sorry.

Kensai

Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:50 pm

The thunder icon you see in their flag means they have lost their capital (Sofia). I believe that in a future patch we could have countries lose alliance alignment (gaining towards Rebel sentiment!) much faster when they have lost their capital. This will be the best of both worlds: yes a country won't last long, but if it had a good alignment beforehand it won't crumble immediately.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

caranorn

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:18 am

Kensai wrote:The thunder icon you see in their flag means they have lost their capital (Sofia). I believe that in a future patch we could have countries lose alliance alignment (gaining towards Rebel sentiment!) much faster when they have lost their capital. This will be the best of both worlds: yes a country won't last long, but if it had a good alignment beforehand it won't crumble immediately.

How would that reflect on the historic examples of Belgium and Serbia? Belgian forces only held on to the tiniest bit of western Flanders (not even large enough for an EAW region) and the Serbs withdrew from their country entirely. So those are two examples of minors who refused to surrender, in the case of Belgium they even stayed active in the fight till then end.
Marc aka Caran...

Kensai

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 am

Technically, it does not matter. When a nation surrenders we could have it simply not produce any more supplies and engagement points for the country in question, otherwise the remaining units could still fight with their own flag. After all, the player actually commands the "alliance" (which is made of constituent nations), not a single nation.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

StephenT
Sergeant

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:50 pm

caranorn wrote:How would that reflect on the historic examples of Belgium and Serbia? Belgian forces only held on to the tiniest bit of western Flanders (not even large enough for an EAW region) and the Serbs withdrew from their country entirely. So those are two examples of minors who refused to surrender, in the case of Belgium they even stayed active in the fight till then end.
So did the Serbs.

In fact, the Serbian breakthrough on the Salonika Front in September 1918 - supported by the other Allies, but the Serbs were the spearhead - forced Bulgaria to surrender. That news in turn triggered a nervous breakdown in Ludendorff and persuaded him that the war was lost and Germany needed to surrender too; the next day he told the civilian government that they must immediately request an armistice. So arguably, the Serbian army won the war!

Note that both the Belgian and the Serbian armies were re-equipped by France after the conquest of their countries, and received their supplies primarily from French sources. In game, that's represented well enough by pooled Allied resurces.

In short, in a WW1 game it's entirely realistic for the armies of defeated minor powers to continue fighting, as long as there are still major powers on their side. The game shouldn't be changed to make that not possible.

gotrek
Corporal

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Your historical explanations make perfect sense, thanks for bringing it up.

Kensai

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:16 pm

StephenT wrote:In short, in a WW1 game it's entirely realistic for the armies of defeated minor powers to continue fighting, as long as there are still major powers on their side. The game shouldn't be changed to make that not possible.

Indeed. I think the best abstraction is simply have the lost nation not produce any more war supplies, money, engagement points and new units. The already deployed units should be able to fight as well as get reinforcements.
Großdeutschland Mod

Shri

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:50 am

You can have minors forces who escaped their country to continue fighting but the country in itself should surrender, thus removing WSU and Money for You and giving a part of it to the Enemy.

Return to “To End All Wars”