theknightirish
Conscript

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:25 pm

I am 6 months in to a Central Powers game and the only points where I am making headway are in the Baltic States/Belorussia, Serbia (slowly) and surprisingly in Egypt. Galacia is a bloodbath between four concentrated stacks (2 Austrian and 2 Russian).

But Athena has proved to be irritatingly good on the Western Front. The French bypassed my defensive line by invading Luxemburg and pushing a few rapidly moving raiding parties through followed by a very large army. I am really struggling to stem the tide and the BEF is only just starting to appear...

So no complaints from me about Athena so far.

Hubu
Conscript

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:27 pm

Since the only way to help the dev save the almost non-existing AI, here are a bunch of saves, close to the point where I win the game as CP and one as WE, the later ending with Hötzendorf and his 800-something strong corps attacking my 100 stack in Tunisia, while it has been 10 turns since I took Wien...

The front collapses in a systematic manner, allowing me to turn and pocket enemy divisions by the hundreds of thousand in a VERY predictable 3 turns-long movement to great predictable results almost unopposed.
I'm truely feeling like I'm playing against some really drunk/high child at the moment, and it truely is a shame.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/d5c090e7
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/c4d61360

Kensai

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Hubu wrote:Since the only way to help the dev save the almost non-existing AI, here are a bunch of saves, close to the point where I win the game as CP and one as WE, the later ending with Hötzendorf and his 800-something strong corps attacking my 100 stack in Tunisia, while it has been 10 turns since I took Wien...

If you have taken the enemy's capital, you should expect some erratic or desperate action. I don't have a clue how Hötzendorf ended up in Tunisia, but I am willing to check your saves. I simply hope they are not useless (after the damage has been done). What settings are you playing?

The front collapses in a systematic manner, allowing me to turn and pocket enemy divisions by the hundreds of thousand in a VERY predictable 3 turns-long movement to great predictable results almost unopposed.
I'm truely feeling like I'm playing against some really drunk/high child at the moment, and it truely is a shame.

See? This is the funny thing. If someone reads your comment after he has read the comment JUST ABOVE yours will probably think we are talking about different games.

So... anyone wants to take bob and Hubu for a PBEM spin? This way they will relax from the "woes" of the AI's inabilities. :D
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Kensai

Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Hubu, loaded your turn. You didn't give full account of what's happening. The save game unfortunately is TOO late, when the CP has already lost... but hey, was it totally unexpected? You have broken them everywhere, what kind of defense where you expecting to see? Your troops have marched to Germany and Austria-Hungary FROM THE WEST. Hötzendorf's movement to Tunisia is indeed puzzling, but I suspect a teleportation bug here, nothing to do with the AI's abilities. Nonetheless, I see that Russia has played well as well (which should be AI) which helped a lot in your case. Egypt is a funny case, the AI seems to have kicked your ass there.

So... my understanding is this. You tried to outsmart the AI by leaving some fronts without help (Egypt) while trying to break into the rival's heartland. The AI was not able to cope with this strategy as it is programmed to save all its territories. I don't blame you for this gamey attempt, you are fully entitled to do what strategy you see fit... but if you play in a gamey way, you WILL have gamey results. Sorry pal. :(

My advice: try to play in a more realistic way next time, as well as up the difficulty level. Some personal house rules wouldn't hurt either (you seem to have abandoned Africa!!). In your game the Eastern Front (AI vs AI?) looks very good, so I don't see why the AI cannot hold a front as some of you are saying. If you try these tactics with a human in a PBEM he will probably destroy you...
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

Kensai

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm

OK, Hubu, loaded the other save as well. Again, end game save... useless. But there again, what's so strange? You played in a gamey way and had the following results: you marched to Paris but left your Italian front open so THEY MARCHED TO MUNICH. If you love to play "who's gonna reach the other's capital first", of course you will win the AI.

My suggestion to everyone: the AI cannot be as smart as a human. It's not 2050 yet. We will get there. Until then, exercise some self-restraint. Don't do unrealistic stuff such as leaving one front unopposed just to put all strength to another, the AI cannot cope with that. Apologies, but I don't think the developers should waste time to improve anything on this front, it's you that wasted your own game... :(

For such unrealistic way of playing there is only one medicine: PBEM game. There a human player will kick your butt if you try such gamey tricks.
Großdeutschland Mod

Hubu
Conscript

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:10 pm

I'm aware that it looks "gamey", but that is because, well, the AI started that gamey trend! In Italia I had a well furnished, well maintained front, then all of a sudden they ferry their troops (AH) someplace else. What's the point to keep so much men there when they don't?
And for the Ottoman heartland, well, I just succeded a Salonika/Gallipoli joint operation. Pretty much could have happened ;)

I ALWAYS maintain a coherent front, but the AI then starts to try a breakthrough that is bound to fail, and randomly stuck 1000+ armies behind my lines without support, to be torn to pieces by my own troops.

But then again, as you said, against a real player, yeah, I guess I'll get :bonk: :D

Kensai

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:25 pm

Dude, did you or did you NOT abandon Egypt in one game and the Southern German States in another? For what is worth, you did. And this is unrealistic. OF COURSE the AI cannot cope with that cause it's programmed to save all fronts and all territories. Trust me, as CP you can even outsmart the AI and land forces on Great Britain. You need your own personal HOUSE RULES.

There is not a single game that can cope with knowingly gamey strategies that take advantage of such situations. AGEOD games thrive because the persons that play them love historical reenaction and accuracy.

I'm aware that it looks "gamey", but that is because, well, the AI started that...

Do you even hear yourself? "The AI started that (first)...". Let's tell the teacher. :bonk:
Man, I am sorry, but that's the reason I had never seen (nor many other beta players) such things while testing. Most of us try to be coherent and at least try to play in a realistic way. Moving your troops around while abandoning entire theaters is a sure way to drive the AI crazy, what did you expect?

Indeed, against a human player you will probably be destroyed, because he will adapt to your strategies abandoning theaters as well. The AI cannot do that for the sake of historical realism. I guess there might be a solution: applying more objective regions and higher points to them (for example leaving Cairo would have meant a bigger penalty) but I guess gamey-loving players will find workarounds for that as well...
Großdeutschland Mod

krche
Conscript

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:26 pm

Is there any way to make the AI more focused on the enemy troops, rather than VPs, so that it doesn't get too reckless with breakthroughs?

Kensai

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Yes, there probably is. If the culprit is the AI agents, then after the initial two months we need to disable them. Perhaps a couple more rules to press the AI keep open lines and only forward when nearby regions have friendly units as well could help. But I am not entirely sure this is what happened in Hubu's game. His game is typical of "let's win by using brute force to get the other nation's capital while abandoning all the rest".

Now, the first part is a valid strategy and historically accurate, the second simply breaks the game (unless there is a human player who does the same). I repeat: the AI will try to protect and defend all objective regions in almost all theaters. If you don't respect that, you will have gamey results and disappointments. Nothing the designers can do here, use some sense.

PS. To be totally honest with you, there is a major issue in both save games of Hubu and something I have reported myself in the beta. But nobody seems to have complained for it so far. It seems to me that the AI is entirely incapable of placing blockades and doing efficient raidings, as well as using merchant ships and submarines correctly. It's unacceptable that by 1916 there is no blockade in Hubu's games, especially when the AI was playing the Western Entente... One way to bring down the CP without too many casualties is by placing a powerful blockade early on.
Großdeutschland Mod

krche
Conscript

Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:54 pm

Do you know when the first patch is due?

As for the game then I really like it, but it could really do with some intermediary scenarios for people like me that has not played AEGOD titles before (except for PON that simply killed my PC)

Kensai

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:06 pm

We have a v1.01 patch in RC1 right now, but is in beta test at the moment. Everyone is working for you guys. The game is not even a week out, you will be delighted by the future support. AGEOD has made a name in supporting and improving their games in the very long term. Hey, we even expect a PON patch! :p

As the manual says in page 9, future iterations of the game (patches) will provide other game scenarios as well, both isolated theaters and later dates. Stay tuned!
Großdeutschland Mod

krche
Conscript

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:24 pm

Sounds good.. I will continue with the current version.

As for the AI, then if it is not possible to make it focus on the enemy troops, then maybe lower the VPs so that it is less focused on locations.

Tamas

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:35 pm

krche wrote:Sounds good.. I will continue with the current version.

As for the AI, then if it is not possible to make it focus on the enemy troops, then maybe lower the VPs so that it is less focused on locations.

There is not much point to discuss the ongoing work on the patch while things are flexible in it, but we are following all this feedback closely, and are working on ways to improve the AI further.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

caranorn

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:08 pm

Pocus wrote:I would have gladly looked at the saved game showing these British leaders in Congo or the Jap fleet in the med. And yes, we are working on the AI.

Will email it to you in a moment...
Marc aka Caran...

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Kensai wrote:We have a v1.01 patch in RC1 right now, but is in beta test at the moment. Everyone is working for you guys. The game is not even a week out, you will be delighted by the future support. AGEOD has made a name in supporting and improving their games in the very long term. Hey, we even expect a PON patch! :p

As the manual says in page 9, future iterations of the game (patches) will provide other game scenarios as well, both isolated theaters and later dates. Stay tuned!

Kensai, this kind of support is a big part of the reason that Ageod is my favorite company. Did you actually say PON patch? Oh, please, let it happen!

Merlin
General

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:17 am

Here's my WE "let's figure out the faction peculiarities" game: [ATTACH]30410[/ATTACH]

The first six or so turns Athena did well. Then she paused, concentrated, attacked, concentrated again, stalled, and ultimately abandoned most of the western front. If you look through her forces for both the CP and EE, she has a remarkably high number of unused generals and loose divisions in major stacks. It's almost as though she wants to form corps, but can't make it happen, so she concentrates, compensates for the loss of front coverage, and continues to compound the problem.

What she's doing is actually logical if her understanding of the front is based on ideal (full cohesion and strength) combat power. As she concentrates, her ideal combat power drops, so she bunkers up at key points, places reserves to protect supply lines, and tries to build enough local power to make advances. The problem, again, is concentration without proper organization. Because it takes more and more units to get the advantage she wants as the CP penalty climbs ever higher, she continues to strip units from other regions to build super-stacks with CP penalties of up to 50%.

I think, for whatever reason, she's having trouble forming corps and doesn't seem to understand how to apply the MSG rules. Occasional difficulty with MSG was there in AACW and CW2, so I'm not too surprised by it, nor by her tendency to shuffle support units all over (and consequently drag air units around in front line formations), but the number of generals without commands and loose divisions really surprised me. Other than people being people, the compounding tendency toward super-stacks due to lack of corps is probably what's causing the later game silliness people are posting in this thread.
Attachments
2 - The Guns of August.zip
(455.17 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

Reiryc

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:50 am

vaalen wrote:Kensai, this kind of support is a big part of the reason that Ageod is my favorite company. Did you actually say PON patch? Oh, please, let it happen!

Ageod is my favorite company as well. They work with their customers, provide excellent support and the games are very fun.

Hubu
Conscript

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:16 am

Kensai wrote:
Do you even hear yourself? "The AI started that (first)...". Let's tell the teacher. :bonk:
Man, I am sorry, but that's the reason I had never seen (nor many other beta players) such things while testing. Most of us try to be coherent and at least try to play in a realistic way. Moving your troops around while abandoning entire theaters is a sure way to drive the AI crazy, what did you expect?

Are you part of the AGEOD team? Because I'm not, but I've been a full supporter of lots of your game (I payed for a lot of them, see?), and, if it's the case, when I give a customer review, I hope for some professional replies and not an attempt to bully/coerce me into thinking I "acted wrong" with the game. If your AI is so solid, it would have punished me, as you said, and not the other way around.

I would like for you to lower your tone and harsh judgement toward me as a fake wargamer, since I use those "gamey" "hacks". It sounds weak at best. If the AI of the game can't cope with my ridiculous deployments and moves, then it's not me that uses unrealistic tactics, but it is the AI that fails to understand basic frontline dynamics.

When I pay a game with my hard-earned money, I do not expect the developers to tell me I did a bad job at playing it, when I obviously won.

Altaris

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:45 am

We're doing some tweaks to the AI for our next beta patch now, once they've been tested and verified we'll release in a patch.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:34 am

Sorry folks. This was an entry to my AAR and I got really backward on where I thought I was.
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

fred zeppelin
Colonel

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:35 am

Hubu wrote:Are you part of the AGEOD team? Because I'm not, but I've been a full supporter of lots of your game (I payed for a lot of them, see?), and, if it's the case, when I give a customer review, I hope for some professional replies and not an attempt to bully/coerce me into thinking I "acted wrong" with the game. If your AI is so solid, it would have punished me, as you said, and not the other way around.

I would like for you to lower your tone and harsh judgement toward me as a fake wargamer, since I use those "gamey" "hacks". It sounds weak at best. If the AI of the game can't cope with my ridiculous deployments and moves, then it's not me that uses unrealistic tactics, but it is the AI that fails to understand basic frontline dynamics.

When I pay a game with my hard-earned money, I do not expect the developers to tell me I did a bad job at playing it, when I obviously won.

I had the same reaction. Kensai's knowledge of the code is impressive, and he has been a great supporter of PON and other AGEOD games, but his defensiveness in this instance is a bit much.

Hopefully, he'll chill a bit and recognize that the folks who are posting here want this game to be a success as much as he does.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:38 am

Well, I just screwed up royally, didn't I? Sorry!!!
To End All Wars AAR in the War Room. Join us as we laugh, we cry, we drink beer, and we joke on how badly I play......

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36936-To-End-All-Wars-AAR-Western-Entente-against-the-AI-of-Central-Powers!

ohms_law
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:10 am

By the way: The Grand Fleet being in Afrique Francaise isn't inexplicable at all. It's a port, there's always supplies there, and it's only a couple of days away from both the Atlantic Blockade box and the Atlantic Shipping box. The Fleet was obviously moved there for a turn in order to resupply and replenish it's cohesion.

Granted, it should want to return to Portsmouth (or Canada, Brest, Liverpool, Marseille, etc...). The AI obviously doesn't have any real direction given to it here though, so it just picks the first suitable location on it's list. "Afrique Francaise" is probably first from anywhere in the Atlantic because of it's name.

I wouldn't classify such issues as "stupid". It's just that no effort has specifically been made to address it's behavior in this area (yet).

Taciturn Scot
Sergeant

Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:48 am

I can understand why he has responded to your posts in the manner he did. Your opening remarks were rather harsh:
Since the only way to help the dev save the almost non-existing AI, here are a bunch of saves, close to the point where I win the game as CP and one as WE, the later ending with Hötzendorf and his 800-something strong corps attacking my 100 stack in Tunisia, while it has been 10 turns since I took Wien...

'save the non-existing AI' and 'drunk/high child' are not the best ways to couch your concerns and so you should not be too surprised when a tester, NOT a developer, responds with a bit of an attitude to your posts.

You say that the Austrians abandoned their front line with Italy to ship their forces elsewhere? Yes, that sounds like a problem and it's good that you reported it. But a game save of the turn where it happens would help the developers and testers to find out why the AI is doing this.

It's a very good idea to be respectful and not too-critical when providing your feedback. Please note that being critical is important. Just keep it within respectable boundaries. You don't tell your boss that he's an ass or that his AI is non-existing and behaves like a drunk/high child. Same as you shouldn't expect an artist to be very happy if you tell him that his latest album sucks. Saying some nice things as well helps to make the process a bit less stressful for everybody.

Kensai

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:45 am

Hubu wrote:Are you part of the AGEOD team? Because I'm not, but I've been a full supporter of lots of your game (I payed for a lot of them, see?), and, if it's the case, when I give a customer review, I hope for some professional replies and not an attempt to bully/coerce me into thinking I "acted wrong" with the game. If your AI is so solid, it would have punished me, as you said, and not the other way around.

I am not part of the AGEOD team, just a volunteer. This forum is full of experienced players' advice on how to have the best experience. What "professional reply" did you expect other than: please wait, the game was released a week ago and the devs are working on the patch?

I did not bully/coerce you, don't overemphasize words just to be melodramatic, I just explained to you in a mature way what goes wrong in your game. Either you accept that and adapt or you continue this vicious cycle of disappointments. Of course you are free to post whatever unjustified complains you want in this forum/thread, but I am just as justified to intercept them and explain in plain English and simplified game logic WHY you are wrong.

You did not "do a bad job of winning" it, but you did the equivalent of cheating yourself. By abandoning entire theaters IN BOTH YOUR GAMES, you give objective evidence of that. Apart from completely unhistorical, it is the recipe to break the AI's response. I can tell you for each and every strategy game I've played (from the Total War series to Paradox's titles) the workarounds to beat the AI. Why don't you expect that AGEOD titles might have weaknesses as well? Nobody said ever they don't, I simply described to you HOW to avoid them. Play realistically and you will.

vaalen has created a nice thread on how to have the best experience. Please do read it.
Großdeutschland Mod

Pocus

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 am

If some people want a statement from the developers that their AI is on par with a human player, then that's not for now... The AI is a rather big piece of code, but that's only that. AI is by the way not the appropriate term, it should be 'programmed opponent' perhaps.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

DrPostman

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:49 am

Pocus wrote:If some people want a statement from the developers that their AI is on par with a human player, then that's not for now... The AI is a rather big piece of code, but that's only that. AI is by the way not the appropriate term, it should be 'programmed opponent' perhaps.

I love that most of us call it simply "Athena"!
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Merlin
General

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:01 am

Pocus wrote:If some people want a statement from the developers that their AI is on par with a human player, then that's not for now... The AI is a rather big piece of code, but that's only that. AI is by the way not the appropriate term, it should be 'programmed opponent' perhaps.

Ah, no. You've created an AI which is leagues more intelligent than the product of the nearest competitor, and it reacts differently every time I do something odd in every game. If I load the AI side, I can often work out the "logic" behind it's moves, so no: You guys didn't create an AI. You created a reactive program, which within its limitations, simulates a human being rather well. Her name is Athena, and I rather like her. :w00t:

caranorn

Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:28 am

fred zeppelin wrote:I had the same reaction. Kensai's knowledge of the code is impressive, and he has been a great supporter of PON and other AGEOD games, but his defensiveness in this instance is a bit much.

Hopefully, he'll chill a bit and recognize that the folks who are posting here want this game to be a success as much as he does.

Have to agree to Hubu and Fred Zeppelin. As an Ageod Team member I also find Kensai's wording goes too far...
Marc aka Caran...

Searry
Colonel

Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Did you know the AI works better when "give AI more time" is actually off? At least the CP stacks seem to be somewhat carefully structured.

Return to “To End All Wars”