mariandavid
Sergeant

Best/Bargain Books on To End All Wars

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:48 pm

For those of you with Kindle: The first volume of a projected trilogy on the Eastern Front in 1914 is on sale for less than $2.00. By Pritt Buttar and called "Collision of Empires". I highly recommend it even if, naturally, the maps are too small on a Kindle and especially as there are very few recent books on the eastern wars.

If anyone else has suggestions please add.

khbynum
Major

Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. At that price it's a no-brainer. The maps will be useless on the Kindle, but I've got Martin Gilbert's Atlas of the First World War to help. Speaking of Gilbert, I just started reading his The First World War: a complete history and it's anything but, consisting mostly of anecdotes about civilians, soldiers and their experiences on the battlefield with a thin veneer of military history. It's not bad, but I only got a few chapters into it before I realized I needed to read it along with a more conventional military history.

I know little about the period and If I'm going to get into this game I need a good reference. Can anyone suggest a military history of WW1 in English? I've read Tuchman's The Guns of August (twice) and John Keegan's The First World War. I'd appreciate advice on other reading from the knowledgeable people here on the forum.

I apologize for posting this request in the game subforum, but TEAW doesn't have an historical discussion subforum.

Return to “To End All Wars”