Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Quick Question - Air Units

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 pm

If this is covered in the manual, just say so and I'll go read it. Just wondering, because in-game tips don't seem to offer much.

This is the first AGEOD game with this much detail that offers a functional air war. I'm a little confused on how to operate air units. Are they suppose to go on automatic offense/defense missions? Do they need to be dragged into regions with enemy forces before they can engage? I'm just wondering, because in between turns the map comes alive with air units/air sound FX, but yet I've given them no specific missions. Is the air war just sort of automated? Should I put air units into army stacks to increase its power rating? Just help a guy out here. This air war stuff is confusing.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:13 pm

I skimmed over most of the manual but since this is new, I went ahead and read it fairly carefully. You do not have to drag air power into enemy regions as they can fly up to 3 regions away (depending on research level.). You do want them fairly close, though, and sometimes you may have them in the same region. They get a certain amount of mission points per turn and they use these points up as they do missions. A total of 9 points I think it possible and they expend one point per region flown. So, a typical turn you might get 6 points, and your fighters could fly 3 missions 2 regions away, or 2 missions 3 regions away, or well you get the idea. Some combination of region movement.

Now, cohesion and fatigue affects the mission points you get at the beginning of the turn and also weather. So getting the full 9 mission points is very rare. A typical clear weather and good refreshed troops I think get between 6-8 points for missions.

Someone correct me if I got anything wrong.

It is covered in the manual, but sometimes it is easier to ask and I don't mind answering.

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll go skim the manual. As with all AGEOD games, I tend to dread manuals like I did high school math homework.

Here's how AGEOD game math breaks down...

Multiply the power rating by the number of elements inside a unit. Divide that number by the cohesion rating, so long as the unit itself is not inside enemy territory. Now, take that number and subtract it by the size of the mustache of the commanding general. Add two engagements if he is an alcoholic. That will be your combat rating for the next turn so long as your wife allows it.

James D Burns

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:20 pm

I keep my air units stacked with my armies. That way they retreat with them if needed and it keeps them at the front. Later in the war I assume ranges will increase and I can then start to keep them behind the lines. As far as how they are used, it's pretty much automatic. not a lot of micro-managing there, but if you take huge losses you may want to take them out of the armies and place them in passive mode to recover for a few turns.

Jim

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Good point, Mr. Burns. I am real cautious and was nervous keeping them with the armies, but I probably should do what you are doing. It is still early game, so not as much airpower going on but I just purchased two of the 2nd tier fighters, so we'll see if I use them in much better roles with the armies.

Pocus

Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:30 pm

At start you only have recons. if you get fighters, they will also be able to prevent enemy recons.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Elmo
Captain

Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:07 pm

The manual recommends having a depot near the front for supply IIRC. You can stack the air unit with the depot so it recovers faster when needed.
"We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games." - Anon

Return to “To End All Wars”