User avatar
H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 822
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:57 am
Location: United States of America

Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Reply to Steam video->>

This is the youtube link. I like youtube better. Seems easier to manipulate the quality of the video so I can actually see what is going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8R9GURTs0Y

Bodhis
Corporal
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 pm
Location: Germany

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Nice video. I always thought that Hindenburg is totaly overrated ;)
As already stated, I like the look of the map and the improvements of the UI. Probably your best so far. One question: When processing the turns the loading bar shows 15 days but the turn was only 7 days (which I prefer). Is there an option to choose the turn lengths or is this scenario-dependent?

User avatar
Tamas
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:51 am

Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Bodhis wrote:Nice video. I always thought that Hindenburg is totaly overrated ;)
As already stated, I like the look of the map and the improvements of the UI. Probably your best so far. One question: When processing the turns the loading bar shows 15 days but the turn was only 7 days (which I prefer). Is there an option to choose the turn lengths or is this scenario-dependent?


It is scenario dependent. The East Prussia scenario has 7 days turns, and the campaigns have 15 days turns.

User avatar
fred zeppelin
Colonel
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Very nice video! Thanks for the information.

jnpoint
Private
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Tamas wrote:Well, we are quite excited about TEAW, and about to release a short video explaining the very basics of the game. This is admittedly aimed at those new to the AGEOD series of games, but it does give you a glimpse on the game even if you are a veteran of the series.

And I am about to wrap up my AAR, which is less about explaining basics and more about showing the general flow of the game. :)


Thanks, and a nice video by the way.

Searry
Colonel
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:19 pm

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:47 am

Thanks for the video!

minipol
General
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:47 am

The game looks very interesting. It will be a nice break from CWII :)

Mowers
Captain
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 pm

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Good AAR.
Now all you have to do is make sure that the game is better than the previous PC WW1 game disasters including:
Strategic Command WW1
Darkest Hour WW1
AGEOD's WW1 Gold
Commander Great war
Guns of August
Victoria: WW1 scenarios

Then there are the board games that were badly done:
AH's Guns of August
Worthington Games Guns of August
Clash of Giants
Grand Illusion (unrefined more than anything)
Strategic Decisions (?) WW1
Actually the list goes on and on, bloody awful... Although there are some exceptions.


So the bar is horribly low, mainly because the designers failed to do their home work at an operational level, - but still I remain ever the optimist and wish you the best of luck for your game.

jnpoint
Private
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:02 am

If you want to see the game in action then watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93jS55IlN4Q

It is in German, and he speaks a lot :) , and so far, the two first videos, he is mostly speaking about strategies and plans etc. I do understand it, but even if you do not, it is showing the game in action. He has only made two videos so far.

He says that he will start the war in the third video.

Bodhis
Corporal
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:42 pm
Location: Germany

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:37 am

jnpoint wrote:If you want to see the game in action then watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93jS55IlN4Q

It is in German, and he speaks a lot :) , and so far, the two first videos, he is mostly speaking about strategies and plans etc. I do understand it, but even if you do not, it is showing the game in action. He has only made two videos so far.

He says that he will start the war in the third video.

Cool, thank you. Will watch it later.

Edit: Not much "action" in the first two videos, still quiet informative. I like the province of rome... .

Doctoxic
Private
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:58 am

Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:57 am

theres the start of a Lets Play in English here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dwfRqagFc&list=UUTP2hlFqdfG8_0T2fCkbLrg

jnpoint
Private
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:07 am

Doctoxic wrote:theres the start of a Lets Play in English here......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dwfRqagFc&list=UUTP2hlFqdfG8_0T2fCkbLrg


Thanks. Will watch it immediately :)

sandman2575
Corporal
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:48 am

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:24 am

I have to say that it is very striking how much TEAW appears to have appropriated from World War One Gold graphically / visually. The maps are more or less identical. Even the graphics for the warplan selections are the same. ...not sure how I feel about this -- particularly in light of the attempt of another developer to revive WW1 Gold as a "Centennial Edition", which is in limbo facing a legal challenge (its future seems dim at best).

User avatar
fred zeppelin
Colonel
Posts: 366
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:29 pm

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:47 am

sandman2575 wrote:I have to say that it is very striking how much TEAW appears to have appropriated from World War One Gold graphically / visually. The maps are more or less identical. Even the graphics for the warplan selections are the same. ...not sure how I feel about this -- particularly in light of the attempt of another developer to revive WW1 Gold as a "Centennial Edition", which is in limbo facing a legal challenge (its future seems dim at best).


I'm reserving judgment until I buy EAW (which I will do as soon as it's available), but I have a similar reaction.

gekkoguy82
Major
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:58 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:49 pm

sandman2575 wrote:I have to say that it is very striking how much TEAW appears to have appropriated from World War One Gold graphically / visually. The maps are more or less identical. Even the graphics for the warplan selections are the same. ...not sure how I feel about this -- particularly in light of the attempt of another developer to revive WW1 Gold as a "Centennial Edition", which is in limbo facing a legal challenge (its future seems dim at best).


Frankly, I don't see the comparison with the maps. They aren't even close. Other than the fact that they cover the same geography, Gold has the hand drawn style while EAW does not. Just going off the screenshots, I don't find that the ledger particularly looks like anything in Gold, either. Cosmetically speaking, WWI Gold has much more in common with AGEOD titles that came before it was released, even though the engine is very different. I'll agree that the battle planner seems at least similar, but beyond an initial look at it there are numerous differences.

sandman2575
Corporal
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:48 am

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:48 pm

gekkoguy82 wrote:Frankly, I don't see the comparison with the maps. They aren't even close..


TEAW's map is entirely based on the template of WW1 Gold's. Look at the off-map areas -- Africa, western hemisphere, asia, the fact that UK 'cuts off' at Scotland, offmap areas for Spain, Denmark, etc. etc. This *is* the WW1 Gold map, plain and simple, with some cosmetic changes to how terrain and cities are depicted. Also, the warplans illustrations for Schlieffen, Conrad plans etc. are simply lifted from WWI Gold.

I'm not suggesting TEAW is simply a rehash of Gold, but it is clearly indebted to it in some obvious and not inconsequential ways. I don't yet have a sense of how closely TEAW follows the game mechanics of Gold -- I'm sure there will be some important differences -- but the fact that you have to pick historical warplans as the initial stage, which is straight out of Gold, suggests that TEAW's reliance on Gold is more than just cosmetic.

I fully intend to buy TEAW when it releases -- I just have some very mixed feelings and misgivings about how closely the game appears to hew to the template provided by Gold.

User avatar
Tamas
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:51 am

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 pm

sandman2575 wrote:TEAW's map is entirely based on the template of WW1 Gold's. Look at the off-map areas -- Africa, western hemisphere, asia, the fact that UK 'cuts off' at Scotland, offmap areas for Spain, Denmark, etc. etc. This *is* the WW1 Gold map, plain and simple, with some cosmetic changes to how terrain and cities are depicted. Also, the warplans illustrations for Schlieffen, Conrad plans etc. are simply lifted from WWI Gold.

I'm not suggesting TEAW is simply a rehash of Gold, but it is clearly indebted to it in some obvious and not inconsequential ways. I don't yet have a sense of how closely TEAW follows the game mechanics of Gold -- I'm sure there will be some important differences -- but the fact that you have to pick historical warplans as the initial stage, which is straight out of Gold, suggests that TEAW's reliance on Gold is more than just cosmetic.

I fully intend to buy TEAW when it releases -- I just have some very mixed feelings and misgivings about how closely the game appears to hew to the template provided by Gold.


You are aware that the two games share a main designer, in the person of PhilTib, right? In fact, WW1 Gold is the direct conversion of the board game designed by him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Respenus
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:19 am

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:09 pm

sandman2575 wrote:I fully intend to buy TEAW when it releases -- I just have some very mixed feelings and misgivings about how closely the game appears to hew to the template provided by Gold.


To calm you down, I have recently played La Grande Guerre Gold and let me tell you, the games are as different as night and day. Besides the fact that the combat model is completely different, there is far greater unit diversity in EAW, units look different graphically and behave as in other AGEod games and furthermore, research, diplomacy, unit construction, economic simulation, are all indicative of a fully fledged AGEod game and not a copy of WWI Gold.

Both games share some similarities, but also approach major aspects, especially combat, from a different standpoint. As for the map and battleplans having a similar look, well, you can't really reinvent the wheel, now can you? Plus as Tamas said, they share the same main designer, which in my opinion is a good thing, allowing for both continuity and innovation.

sandman2575
Corporal
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:48 am

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Yes, I know Philippe designed the board-game and teamed with Calvinus to produce the computer version. I'm by no means implying Ageod has 'stolen' something from WW1 Gold that wasn't already its intellectual property. However, that doesn't change the fact that TEAW appears to borrow a lot from Ageod's previous WW1 game, to wit, La Grande Guerre / World War One Gold.

@Respensus -- I'm perfectly 'calm' about all this, believe me. I don't have any personal stake in any of this, beyond hoping TEAW is a worthwhile game. If there's a certain 'defensive' vibe coming out here, it surely is not from me.

User avatar
Tamas
Posts: 1481
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:51 am

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:14 pm

sandman2575 wrote:Yes, I know Philippe designed the board-game and teamed with Calvinus to produce the computer version. I'm by no means implying Ageod has 'stolen' something from WW1 Gold that wasn't already its intellectual property. However, that doesn't change the fact that TEAW appears to borrow a lot from Ageod's previous WW1 game, to wit, La Grande Guerre / World War One Gold.


They are very much their own games. :) WW1 Gold is a direct adaptation of a board game rules set, which comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. TEAW has been designed as a computer simulation of the war from the ground up, so even if they do share off-Europe regional boxes as a design decision, they are very much different games.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sandman2575
Corporal
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:48 am

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Tamas wrote:They are very much their own games. :) WW1 Gold is a direct adaptation of a board game rules set, which comes with its own set of advantages and disadvantages. TEAW has been designed as a computer simulation of the war from the ground up, so even if they do share off-Europe regional boxes as a design decision, they are very much different games.


Thank you, Tamas -- this clarifies a lot. I happen to think WW1 Gold evolved into a truly outstanding game -- the best WW1 grand strategy game available to this point, in my opinion. If TEAW can match it -- doing for WW1 as a computer simulation what Gold did as a boardgame adaptation -- then that will only be cause for celebration. AGEOD did a fantastic job with Civil War II, so I am optimistic about TEAW, and like I say, I will certainly buy it.

wosung
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:58 pm

Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:04 pm

I play both of them, WW1 Gold and EAW. While I like them both, I do like the latter more: Better UI, newer engine. More experience in game design.

Nico165
Lieutenant
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 am

Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:16 pm

A youtube let's play by thehistoricalgamer here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXEh4YLlwD0&index=1&list=PLTGFcT0l8dvBUjwh57szrw5Lfptlk8TOB

It is a WE campaign beginning in late july. First episode takes some time to explain the basics of the game.

Return to “To End All Wars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests